Tajikistan Travel Answers

change location
Trekki's Profile Photo

Russian Hiker missed in Wahkan corridor ! Do you know anything that could help ?

by Trekki Online Now Nov 16, 2006 at 11:51 PM

Hello all,
In “my” German Trekkingforum, I have read that a Russian trekker, Sergej, is missing while hiking in the south of Tajikistan / Pamirs.

Please find below the English description, which already has been posted in some hiking forums. Although I am aware that VT is not necessarily a hiking community, I don’t want to miss any possibility.

If anyone knows anything, please don’t post here, but in the German Trekkingforum, which has the English settings as well. It is here, where a friend of Sergej is reading and posting as well. You can answer there also without registration (we have checked this).
This is the post:
trekkingforum.com/forum/show...

Here is the flyer with description also in Farsi:
shiacenter.ru/fls/missing.pn...

Here is a map, made with GoogleEarth, where his friend has drawn Sergej’s rough route:
bpclub.ru/index.php?act=Atta...

Thanks already in advance.
Ingrid

PS:
I will post the description as answer to this post.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Trekki's Profile Photo

RE: Russian Hiker missed in Wahkan corridor ! Do you know anything that could help ?

by Trekki Online Now Nov 16, 2006 at 11:52 PM

To all those, who visited the Wakhan Valley, Afghanistan, in the period August-Oktober 2006:

Russian adventurer missed:

Sergei Bereznitskiy, born in Moscow, Russia on July 9th, 1980.

Planned itinerary: Moscow-Tajikistan-Faizabad-Ishkashim-Vakhan Corridor-Iran-Moscow.

Was supposed to return no later than early October 2006. Last SMS sent from Faizabad on August 27, through Afghan Wireless Communication Company.

LAST SEEN IN THE WAKHAN VALLEY LAST WEEK OF AUGUST 2006.

Description: 180 cm tall, black hair, brown eyes, straight nose. One ear has unusual angular shape.

Clothing: yellow-green pants with yellow pockets, black pants, Russian-made trekking boots, camouflage anorak coat, beige and white brimmed hat, dark-blue fleece pullover.

Gear: large black backpack, pickaxe, crampons.

Skills: experienced mountaineer and hitchhiker, has visited Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran, speaks fluent English and colloquial Arabic.

Documents: Russian passport 60 N4943168; letter from the Academy of Free Travel in Arabic, possibly also in English and Farsi; Vakhan Corridor maps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tajikistan Travel Answer Locations