Tajikistan Travel Answers

change location
Trekki's Profile Photo

Russian Hiker missed in Wahkan corridor ! Do you know anything that could help ?

by Trekki Online Now Nov 16, 2006 at 11:51 PM

Hello all,
In “my” German Trekkingforum, I have read that a Russian trekker, Sergej, is missing while hiking in the south of Tajikistan / Pamirs.

Please find below the English description, which already has been posted in some hiking forums. Although I am aware that VT is not necessarily a hiking community, I don’t want to miss any possibility.

If anyone knows anything, please don’t post here, but in the German Trekkingforum, which has the English settings as well. It is here, where a friend of Sergej is reading and posting as well. You can answer there also without registration (we have checked this).
This is the post:

Here is the flyer with description also in Farsi:

Here is a map, made with GoogleEarth, where his friend has drawn Sergej’s rough route:

Thanks already in advance.

I will post the description as answer to this post.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Trekki's Profile Photo

RE: Russian Hiker missed in Wahkan corridor ! Do you know anything that could help ?

by Trekki Online Now Nov 16, 2006 at 11:52 PM

To all those, who visited the Wakhan Valley, Afghanistan, in the period August-Oktober 2006:

Russian adventurer missed:

Sergei Bereznitskiy, born in Moscow, Russia on July 9th, 1980.

Planned itinerary: Moscow-Tajikistan-Faizabad-Ishkashim-Vakhan Corridor-Iran-Moscow.

Was supposed to return no later than early October 2006. Last SMS sent from Faizabad on August 27, through Afghan Wireless Communication Company.

Description: 180 cm tall, black hair, brown eyes, straight nose. One ear has unusual angular shape.

Clothing: yellow-green pants with yellow pockets, black pants, Russian-made trekking boots, camouflage anorak coat, beige and white brimmed hat, dark-blue fleece pullover.

Gear: large black backpack, pickaxe, crampons.

Skills: experienced mountaineer and hitchhiker, has visited Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran, speaks fluent English and colloquial Arabic.

Documents: Russian passport 60 N4943168; letter from the Academy of Free Travel in Arabic, possibly also in English and Farsi; Vakhan Corridor maps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tajikistan Travel Answer Locations