Tajikistan Travel Answers

change location
Yanche's Profile Photo

advise on Tajikistan

by Yanche Online Now May 19, 2004 at 4:49 AM

I am going on a 7-days buisness trip to Dushambe around 10 June but I'll have 2 or more days to explore the city and its surroundings. Any tips on what can one see in such a short time? Any suggestions will be welcomed ....Thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: advise on Tajikistan

by Sasha_Most Online Now Jun 24, 2009 at 2:41 AM

The Challenge Remains

Essentially either adventure is relatively tame but I espied a much more interesting quest and hereby challenge the reader to undertake the mission.

Immediately across the Pamir River in Afghanistan lurks a continuous trail paralleling the Tajik Road I followed for 300 miles. This trail is often carved into solid bedrock, angling up cliffy granite peaks. It appears navigable by camel or motorcycle in most places, and for the entire length by foot.

Thus for those truly adventurous souls this challenge remains: the Afghan trail, winding through quaint Afghan villages seldom visited by Westerners, or by agents of foreign powers, or even elusive Bin Ladin.

Those seeking less adventure can hike a string of seven turquoise lakes in the Fan Mountains north of Dushanbe. Heartily hospitable home-stays are available in little villages where bearded patriarchs select an additional spouse each decade, keeping a stock of at least one 18-year old among the usual coterie of four wives.

The trekking along the Marguzor Lakes makes for interesting home-stays, where potential jealousies rival the Great Game of nations that historically exploited the Pamirs, the wholesale killers of Hindus and the occasional gringo who may be tempted to cast his gaze on the patriarch’s youngest wife.

Drivers for.55 a kilometer (see endnote) are easily found in Osh, Kyrgyzstan or in Murgab, Dushanbe, Penjikent or Khorog, Tajikistan.

The nicest B&Bs are Ibrahim’s in Murgab (Ibrahim is also a driver) for8 a person with nice hot showers an extra3 and Nematov Miyozkul’s in Penjikent for10 a night, including an appreciated hot breakfast.

Cheap LOI to Tajikistan 12 euros - http://www.tajikistanvisa.land.ru/

There is no public transportation in the remote regions of Tajikistan. The only available transport is private, costing.55 a kilometer (about1 a mile), plus the distance from the destination for the driver’s return home. The Pamir trip cost950 for transport alone.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Tajikistan Travel Answer Locations