Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• sillyger's Profile Photo

End Nov 21-26 Family trip (include 2 old folks) - 6D5N

by sillyger Online Now Apr 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Hi All
      I need help to come up with itinerary which suitable for two my old folks in the family trip. Though this is not my first trip to Taiwan but I always travel alone therefore not much of an issue. My old folks are in their mid 70s, therefore I also need recommendation for good & reliable private driver to cater for this family (3 adults, 2 elderly, 2 teenagers)

Would it be too taxing to travel around with old folks..
      Mainly I would bring them experience Yeliu/Jiufen/Shifen/Beitou (Hot Spring)/Night Market, Yilan & Keelung also nice place to explore. Please help me...

Taipei - Yilan - Keelung - Taipei

more
    • sillyger's Profile Photo

End Nov 21-26 Family trip (include 2 old folks) - 6D5N

by sillyger Online Now Apr 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Hi All
      I need help to come up with itinerary which suitable for two my old folks in the family trip. Though this is not my first trip to Taiwan but I always travel alone therefore not much of an issue. My old folks are in their mid 70s, therefore I also need recommendation for good & reliable private driver to cater for this family (3 adults, 2 elderly, 2 teenagers)

Would it be too taxing to travel around with old folks..
      Mainly I would bring them experience Yeliu/Jiufen/Shifen/Beitou (Hot Spring)/Night Market, Yilan & Keelung also nice place to explore. Please help me...

Taipei - Yilan - Keelung - Taipei

1 Answer Apr 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    • Nicetch's Profile Photo

Alishan, Taiwan

by Nicetch Online Now Mar 18, 2014 at 2:52 AM

which part to stay in Alishan?

1 Answer Mar 18, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    • 5days4night Southern Taiwan trip suggestions + taipei hair salon, souvenir help!

by sunlake Online Now Feb 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I'm going to spend 5 days in the southern part of Taiwan, mainly in Chiayi and Kaoshing, and I am not sure if this itinerary works, so I wonder if I can get feedback or suggestions? Much appreciated if you can help me out!

March21/1st night

from taipei travel down to Chiayi by high speed railway train ----> (do-able?)

• haven't decided where to stay yet. It's either a hostel/budget hotel in ChiaYi OR a hotel up on Alishan Mountain (suggestions welcome!)
      • If I'm staying in a hotel on Alishan Mountain. When do I get to the hotel if I depart from Taipei at 6pm by the high speed train and Alishan Forest Railway?

March 22/2nd day 

early morning, from a Chiayi hotel--->take Alishan Forest Railway to watch sunrise (Do you watch sunrise in the train?)------>I have to get to the visitor center on Alishan before 9am to join a 1 day tour for cherry blossom, dancing, tree hugging activities, etc------>return to the Chiayi hotel around evening

• alternative route:  If I am staying in a hotel on Alishan mountain, I don't have to wake up at 4am to catch the Alishan train for sunrise, instead just watching sunrise around 8am.  Then I'll just join the 1 day tour, then either return to the hotel on Alishan mountain or relocate to a Chiayi hotel taking the Alishan Forest train at 7pm
      • I read that sunrise at Xiuguluan Mountain and Jade mountain(玉山) on Alishan in Spring, does this mean I don't need to get to Jhushan (祝山). Spring sunrise happens at different time and place than other seasons right? So whether I watch the sun rises today or on the 24th, it really doesn't matter as long as I pick the right place to watch?
      • I read that the railway line is being repaired.  The Alishan Forest railyway has re-opened but it stops at Fencihu? If so, how do I get to Jhushan from Fencihu?

March23/3rd day

Chiayi to Lukang by high speed train---->1 day tour----->reutnr to Chiayi hotel

March 24/4th day 

morning at Chiayi to take a 1 day tour up to Alishan for other fun things to do in the mountain---->return to Chiayi

At night around 7pm, take the high speed train down to Kaoshing (I think need to hop off at ZuoYing Station and switch to MRT to get off at Kaoshing MRT station? Can someone confirm this?). Stay a night in Kaoshing (no idea where to stay, so welcome suggestions!)

March25/5th day 

morning--->British consulate

What to do in the day? Where to stay for lunch? I have visited Liouho Night market so I'm not going there on this trip.

Night----> Take high speed train back to taipei

Questions for Taipei

1. Where can I find a hair salon? Something not too expensive (best if it's affordable or at mid-range price) and I can get a stylish haircut.

2. There are so many branches of Ding Tai Fung, which branch is better? I heard there's one branch I must try, which one is it?

3. Looking for jewelry boutiques. I just want to get some necklaces for daily wear, nothing that screams a "statement", not looking for jade, not looking for any exotic that screams I got it from an Asian country.  I'm just looking for something like they're from H&M or department stores, but of course not from these places, any suggestion? 

4. Any website for lunch/dinner restaurants suggestions? A website that I can read people's review on dining experiences and food quality?

5. Looking to buy pineapple tart, which brand is good? buy it in taipei or in other cities (I was thinking how some food are better in some particular cities because the food are better known and made in those particular cities)?

6. Want to get Taiwan souvenir but don't want to buy nick-nacks. Is Jiufen old street a good place to get souvenir?

Questions for transportation

get easy card or railway pass?  Does easy card let me take the high speed train, take buses?  Railway has different passes, get the 5 day joint/express pass OR multi-ride ticket?  OR get a pass for students?

3 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 4:32 PM
      1. ValentinaY's Profile Photo

Location Suggestions

by ValentinaY Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Going Taiwan this April, any suggestions to where to go ( sightseeing, food, shopping, theme parks ) :D

7 Answers Jan 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
      2. whole taiwan

by yhua Online Now Dec 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM

how long it takes to travel whole taiwan?

6 Answers Apr 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM
      3. huggy93's Profile Photo

Taipei Hotels

by huggy93 Online Now Aug 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Will be in Taiwan for 5 nights early Oct and was wondering if anybody could recommend any hotels that are reasonable cost and quite centrally located. I have checked out some hotels but is always nice to hear of hotels that people have stayed in.

Thanks

4 Answers Aug 27, 2013 at 5:29 AM
      4. somsakmah's Profile Photo

Sun Moon Lake

by somsakmah Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Anyone has any recommendations on where to stay in Sun Moon Lake, Nantou, Taiwan? There are many hotels available from the Internet all claiming to have a lake view but I believe some do have and some are exaggerated. Prefer on the west side of the lake so as to be able to see the sunrise over the lake.
        The hotels are mainly clustered on the west side and east side of the lake. Is there any difference in these two areas? For example, is one of them less populated, or less touristy, or less shops, or less night life etc.

5. Mooon Cake festival`

by HelloT Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Hi all...

I am planing to go during the Moon Cake festival period somewhere mid sept.
        But is it a good time to go during the Moon Cake festival period?
        will the night market still happening during that period?
        and the shops are they open?

3 Answers Mar 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM
      6. Visiting Taiwan during Lunar New Year February 2013

by horizonsouth Online Now Dec 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Hi all,

I am planning to visit Taiwan (Taipei, Taroko Goorge, etc) during Lunar New Year Feb 2013. We are 2 adult, 2 children. But recently I read, Taiwan will have one full week holiday during Lunar New Year 2013.

My questions are:
        1. Is it a good time to visit Taiwan during Lunar New Year? Will it be very crowded? Or maybe all shops, restaurant, museum, attraction places will be closed whole week?

2. Will the hotel be fully booked during that period? More expensive?

3. How about transportation? Will it be difficult to catch buses / taxis? If we go out from Taipei, will the highway fully jammed with cars?

Hmm... really want to go holiday during the Lunar New Year. But do not know where to go.. I am thinking some alternative destinations e.g. Korea or Japan.. but I heard that both Korea and Japan are very cold in February... :((.

Thanks a lot

2 Answers Jan 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM
      7. How to plan to go ?

by keigoch Online Now Nov 25, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for answering my questions. I would be travelling to Taipei in early Decemeber this year and staying near to ximending.

I would like to ask is it possible to travel to Sun Moon Lake, PingXi, Jiufen and sunnyhills shop to buy the pineapple cakes? if possible, how do i go about it?

1 Answer Dec 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM
      8. sukino's Profile Photo

Taiwan in NOV

by sukino Online Now Oct 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Hi all, I am almost done with the itinerary planning, travelling in Kaohsiung and Taipei, but need advise for two questions:

1) Found this interesting route:
        Visit Fo Guang Shan Mountain (Buddha Lights Mountain), Tsoying Spring and Autumn Pavilion, Chengching Lake and then Sizihwan Bay (西子灣). Tour to Eternal Golden Castle, Anping Ancient Castle and the Chamber of Red Hill in Tainan.

Is this do-able in one day? Where is Fo Guang Shan Mountain. -_-' I have tried to google it and found it in Tainan, really?

2) Yeliou Ocean World to Miao Kou NM
        Is there any public bus going to Miao Kou NM from the ocean world?

Thanks in advance!

1 Answer Oct 14, 2012 at 6:56 AM
      9. LFamily's Profile Photo

Early Sept to Mid Oct Leisure Tour to Taiwan

by LFamily Online Now Jul 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Dear all

We are planning a leisure trip to Taiwan especially to Leofoo resort for 2 adults & 1 toddler.
        A bit last minute as its aldy July, still thinking if to go by tour or free& easy.
        Any one knows any good tour package that include Leofoo & 小人国 to recommend ?

Could anyone advise me
        1) Weather in Taiwan around Leofoo and nearby areas in early September to early october?

2) Any lovely and interesting place to recommend ?

Thankyou

1 Answer Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM
      10. Honeymoon Trip 2013

by TeeChristine Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Hi Ladies & Gentlemen

I am planning my honeymoon trip next year in end of January 2013.1 week holiday in Taiwan.

Wish you all can give me some tips & advise if my travel date is 1 week before Chinese New Year it is advisable to go taiwan at this time? How's the weather this time? Will Tourist attraction very crowded? How about the hotel, is this time expensive also?

I am look forward to hear from you all soon.

Thank you

Cheers
        Christine

2 Answers Aug 20, 2012 at 1:29 AM
      11. 2 weeks in Taiwan

by bbhome1 Online Now Mar 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I will be in Taiwan for 2 weeks in July 2012. My rough itinerary is Taipei-Yilan-Hualien-Cingjing-Taichung-Tainan-Taipei.

Appreciate if anyone can advise transport options from Hualien to Cingjing, Taichung to Tainan.

Also if there are any recommended homestays in Hualien and Tainan?

Thanks in advance

2 Answers May 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM
      12. 8D7N Itinerary Planning Advice

by jenoosia Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hi, I've booked a week-long trip to Taiwan this February and I would like to ask a few questions regarding the itinerary I drew up. I will be traveling solo, traveling light, and traveling on a tight budget, so I'm planning on staying in hostels. Here's my proposed itinerary:

Date of Trip: February 3 (Friday) to 10, 2012

*Day 1/8 - Airport/Chiayi/Alishan
        From the airport, go to Taoyuan HSR bound for Chiayi
        Take Chiayi Bus to Alishan

*Day 2/8 - Alishan/Chiayi/Taipei
        Around noon, depart Alishan for Chiayi
        Take Chiayi HSR back to Taipei

*Day 3-4/8 - Taipei/Pingxi
        Pingxi for Sky Lantern Festival

*Day 5/8 - Taipei/Hualien/Taroko
        Take Early AM Train to Hualien
        Tour Taroko/Overnight in Taroko

*Day 6/8 - Taroko/Hualien/Taipei
        Back to Hualien
        Take afternoon train to Taipei

*Day 7-8/8 - Taipei

Questions:

1. (Day 1) Flight arrives at 9:25 AM, planning to take bus to Taoyuan HSR station -> HSR to Chiayi, can I make it to the 2:00 PM Bus to Alishan?

2. (Day 4) What's the suggested time to Pingxi to avoid the crowds of commuters? Also, is it easy to commute back to Taipei after the festivities at night, and what are my options?

3. (Day 5) Is it better to take a buffer day from going to Pingxi if I have to get up early to go to Hualien or is this schedule okay?

4. (Day 5/6) Is it better to do a day trip of Taroko Gorge or stay in the Gorge overnight?

5. (Day 5/6) Since I'm traveling alone, would it be cheaper to join a tour group or hire a taxi/driver for a day? Or can I go about the Gorge solo?

It would be better to take the Taroko Express Train from Taipei to cut down travel time to around 2 hours, right? Regarding this:

6. (Day 5/6) Do I have to reserve tickets for this train or can I just drop by the station on the day itself to buy tickets?

7. (Day 5/6) I'm kind of confused on where to get off. Should I get off at Hualien or Sincheng?

I would also appreciate any suggestions regarding my itinerary.

Thanks a lot =)

2 Answers Feb 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM
      13. marcus_gsh's Profile Photo

Advices needed for my Taiwan itinerary

by marcus_gsh Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Hi all,

I will travel to lovely Taiwan from 4-Mar until 11-Mar.
        I will stay the first 3 nights in 台北市.
        For rest of 4 nights, I wish to visit 高雄 (2 nights) and 清境/阿里山 (2 nights)
        then back to 桃园机场 around 1pm.

I will travel all by my own, not plan to signup any tour package/hire private driver.
        Therefore, I need advices how to arrangement my last 4 nights and the related transportation, so that i can back to 桃园机场 on time on my last day.

Please help to comment. Thanks!

Regards
        Marcus

5 Answers Feb 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM
      14. can you please recommend some hotels in Taiwan?

by arabianights Online Now Dec 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM

i'm going to arrive in Taiwan in January 13th, 2012 and plan to travel around the island. first stop would be Taipei city. currently i'm looking at where to stay, what to do in different parts of the island.

would appreciate if anyone can recommend some decent hotels to stay. i'm not looking for fancy hotels, just to be clean and in convenient locations.

thanks

2 Answers Jan 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
      15. Is Lunar New Year a good time to visit Taiwan?

by arabianights Online Now Dec 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM

hi,

i'm interested to visit Taiwan around 2012 Lunar New year (1/23/2012). is this a good time to visit Taiwan? would the stores and sightseeing places open during the New Year celebrations? Also, what's the average temperature around this time of year?

i'm from U.S.

thanks

2 Answers Dec 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM
      16. Williechoo

by Williechoo Online Now Nov 8, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Hi, my family will be going to Taiwan, Taipei on Dec. Our arriving time is morning 0:20am. Please advise me the cheapest way to get to ximending(we plan to stay there). Does the free to go bus available at that time? What will the taxi fares to get there?(we are 4 persons). Thank you for your help.

1 Answer Nov 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM
      17. kamlesh1107's Profile Photo

enjoy to life

by kamlesh1107 Online Now Oct 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Today I will fly from india to taiwan I want to know that were I have to go to enjoy my trip

2 Answers Oct 13, 2011 at 7:58 AM
      18. travel to taiwan need how many days? during end sept and early oct 2012

by ycable Online Now Sep 22, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Hi, i wish to travel to Taiwan on end of Sept to early Oct 2012 (30/9/12-6/10/12). i plan for 7D6N travel and i wish to travel from north to south.
        any concern on the duration and the date of travel that will complicate the whole travel?

Thanks

6 Answers Oct 2, 2011 at 5:35 AM
      19. Question about 2012 - Pingshi (Pingxi) Lantern Festival vs. Lugang Township Lantern Festival

by arrege Online Now Jul 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I plan to head over to Taiwan from Late Jan to Mid Feb. We wanted to check out a Lantern Festival while we were here.

I checked the Taiwan government website and they said that the next Lantern Festival will be in Lugang form Feb 6- Feb 19.

What I cannot figure out is if there is also a Lantern Festival in Pingshi (outside Taipei) in 2012. (I know there was in 2011)

Is there a Lantern Festival in 2012 in Pingxi(Pingshi)?

On what dates (day/month) will it take place?

Where in Pingxi will lanterns be released?

Is there a website where I can re-confirm above info?

Thank you for your reply.

7 Answers Aug 19, 2011 at 1:16 AM
      20. limkahwan's Profile Photo

First Timer visiting Taiwan

by limkahwan Online Now Jun 8, 2011 at 4:54 AM

I wish to get views of locals or experienced travelers that know the best way to travel around Taiwan, places worth visit, local popular food,best and economical place to stay. Best Time to visit Taiwan.

4 Answers Jun 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM
      21. limct's Profile Photo

Arriving Taipei at late hours

by limct Online Now May 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Dear VTers,

I am arriving Taipei Taoyuan airport in mid Dec around 9pm and we are staying at Cosmos Hotel (next to Taipei Main Station). Would you be able to advise me:

1) As there are 4 of us, would it be better to take airport bus or by taxi? How long is the journey? How much would it cost us?

2) by the time we check-in - we will be too tired to venture anywhere far. Are we still able to grab food near our hotel? Or should we eat at the airport before heading to hotel?

Appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

4 Answers Jun 16, 2011 at 10:59 PM
      22. Food in Taiwan

by alittleiffy Online Now May 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Hi, I am heading to Taiwan in June. Will be going to Taipei and Taizhong. Any suggestions for the types of food or drink that I shouldn't miss out when I'm there? And preferably where to find it too.

Thanks! :D

4 Answers Jun 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM
      23. DGPoohBear's Profile Photo

Tawian Tours and Safety for Female Traveling Alone

by DGPoohBear Online Now May 20, 2011 at 7:15 AM

I would like to know if there are areas that are safe to travel alone as a female who does not speak Chinese. Do you recommend a tour company/train/ or renting a car? I will have 5 days to travel in the Kaohsiung area alone then I will meet a friend to see more of Taiwan. Any advice is appreciated!

2 Answers May 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM
      24. limct's Profile Photo

First time visiting Taiwan

by limct Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Dear everyone, this is the first time my family (2 adults, 1 senior citizen, 2 pre-teens) visit Taiwan, and we would appreciate your advice.

1) when is a good time to go?
        Due to school schedules, we can only go either in late June/late Dec. I understand that June is a rainy season, and Dec is cold (my fren told me it's snowing in Dec!!). Our objective is to admire the nature, enjoy the night markets and local food. We intend to visit Taroko Gorge, Alishan and Taipei. Would you pls let us know whether it would be better for us to visit in June/Dec?

2) Contact for a good driver with MPV (vehicle that can take 7 people):
        With granny with us, we try to make the trip as easy as possible. We plan to engage a driver with MPV (large enough for 5 people & luggages) to drive us
        A) from Taipei to Taroko Gorge (we will stay 2 nights at Hualian)
        B) from Hualian to Alishan (we will stay 2 nights at Alishan)
        If you know of a good driver with MPV, would you pls provide me with his name and contact details (if we could have his email, it would be wonderful)

For the return trip, we will take the antique train from Alishan to Chiayi, and transfer to the HSR to Taipei (hopefully this is not too much a hassle). We will stay 2 nights in Taipei before we head home to Singapore.

Please let me have your view - whether the plan is feasible or what changes would you recommend?

Thanking you in advance.

7 Answers May 30, 2011 at 3:46 AM
      25. Taiwan Local Tour Agency

by diasplash Online Now Nov 20, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Dear fellow travellers!

I am planning my trip to Taiwan on January 2011, and probably engaging local tour group to bring us around. I am wondering if you guys have any recommendation on the local tour group? I've google on some local tour agency's websites which looks pretty fine to me. Have anyone travel with these tour groups, maybe I can have some feedback on their itenerary before I engage on their tour.
        http://www.gogo-alishan.com.tw/
        small-swiss.so-buy.com/front...

Thank you! :D

2 Answers Dec 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM
      26. 9tigers's Profile Photo

rent a car from hualien train station -- using my international driver permit is that enough?

by 9tigers Online Now Oct 13, 2010 at 7:24 AM

we are 3 ppl coming and I have read many times from travel books it is so much better if u have ur own car to drive from chungte and heping, and to the gorge..
        my question is at the Hualien train station, will they rent us the car if we have international permit? if not, is there scooters big enough for 3 ppl to ride on? is scooter each to handle? I do not know how to drive a motocycle

3 Answers Nov 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM
      27. lugubres's Profile Photo

Guidebooks on Taiwan in English and Chinese

by lugubres Online Now Aug 14, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Hi fellow VTs

I would appreciate your suggestions guidebooks on Taiwan. I am interested in guidebooks in English as well as any in Chinese. I can read Chinese. For English, I have only come across Lonely Planet and Rough Guide but they are much too old, published in 2007. Can anyone recommend anything in English and Chinese (separate books) that is 2010?

Thank you

3 Answers Aug 17, 2010 at 7:54 AM