Tahoe City Travel Answers

change location

Wine Country in Tahoe Area

by CarlsonsontheGo Online Now Jun 16, 2004 at 5:40 PM

Our family (2 pre-teens, 2 teens + 2 adults) is looking forward to our upcoming one-week vacation starting next week in N. Lake Tahoe (King's Beach). My husband & I would love to spend a sightseeing day visiting some nearby wineries - too far to drive to Napa/Sonoma, etc. What locations/wineries w/i a 2 hour drive of Tahoe could you recommend please? Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that river tubing is available in the area - the boys want to whitewater raft, the girls are fearful of the idea. Any suggestions for a one-stop location that will appeal to all fear factor levels??? Thanks, Flatlanders from Florida

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Wine Country in Tahoe Area

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 16, 2004 at 7:44 PM

Yahoo! everyone is happy. Whitewater for the boys at Coloma, CA ; the girls can see the gold rush era town of Placerville (Hangtown), and you big-uns can have your winetasting from Placerville down to Plymouth. King's Beach on the 28 past Incline Village and down to South Lake Tahoe, get on the 50 west and go to Placerville, great scenery all the way. Turn right on the 49 for Coloma, just a tad up the road, or left on the 49 for Plymouth, down a piece. In Plymouth, the Deaver Vineyards have a nice pond area for picnics and wine tasting. 11 AM to 5 PM. For the rafting, go to website:www.goldrushriver.com/YouthDis.hdtm... For the gold rush Hwy 49 wineries:www.geocities.com/Heartland/6295/amador.htm........Both areas about 110 miles or 2 1/2 hours away from King's Beach, but what a day!!! Good Luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Wine Country in Tahoe Area

by Agraichen Online Now Jun 16, 2004 at 7:46 PM

Hmmm....Flatlanders? What's wrong with Typhoon Lagoon? LOL... You can probably spend the entire week in Tahoe just seeing the area. Drop down to Carson City, Virginia City, maybe Bode (ghost town). But if you really want Napa/Sonoma....considering the logistics (coming out of Kings Beach to a highway - 2 choices 80 or 50), either would work. Down 80 to Hwy 12 and over to Napa; continue on to Sonoma. Depending on the day and the time, 2 hours may not be enough due to traffic. My favorite wineries are Stag's Leap, Sterling, Mondavi, Mark West and....I could go on. You might also stop at the old Ingelnook, now in the hands of Francis Ford Coppala or relax in Callistoga with a mud bath at one of the many spa's. White water is typically reserved in advance on the American river. The pre-teens would most likely not be allowed as there are age restrictions. BUT you might be able to "rent a tube" and head down 50 to Grass Valley and go on your own in the Yuba River.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines