Szeged Travel Answers

change location
olacrimosa's Profile Photo

Youth hostels and what to see in Szeged?

by olacrimosa Online Now Feb 4, 2004 at 10:55 AM

Hello everybody. Next week, i want to escape from Budapest for 3 or 4 days. I choose to go to szeged because i never went in this town. But i didn't really find some interesting "news", or "things to see" on the internet and i would like to ask you: - if there are youth hostels in szeged (or not expensive hotels) - what is interesting to see ( i don't speak only about buildings but landscape or everything in fact) -And also if it is "interesting" to follow the river Tisza, cross the south border......and walk in fact.......

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • danbp's Profile Photo

Re: Youth hostels and what to see in Szeged?

by danbp Online Now Feb 5, 2004 at 9:11 AM

In fact there's quite a lot to see in the 'City of Sunshine'. (I give the Hungarian names as well to make it easier to locate these sights on a map.) Just a few sights: - Fogadalmi (Magyarok Nagyasszonya-) templom - Oath (Hungarians' Great Lady) Church (at Dom ter) - the university of Szeged - Kárász utca - Kárász Street (the Váci Street of Szeged) - Virág Cukrászda - Virág Café (very famous café) - Városháza - City Hall - Anna-kút - Anna Well - Belvárosi híd - Inner City Bridge (over the Tisza) - Csillagbörtön - Star Prison (lots of political prisoners were imprisoned here in the 1950s-60s) - kiskundorozsmai szélmalom - windmill in Kiskundorozsma (suburb of Szeged, access by local bus) - Klauzál tér - Klauzál Square (with good cafés and mediterranean atmosphere - at least in the summer :) ) - Kossuth Lajos sugárút - Kossuth Lajos Boulevard - Közmûvelõdési palota, múzeum - Palace of Education&Culture, museum - Pick Szalámigyár - Pick Salami Factory - régi zsinagóga - old synagogue - Széchenyi tér - Széchenyi Square in the heart of the city - Népliget - People's Park in Újszeged, the left bank of the Tisza Isn't that enough for a day? :) As for a walk to the south along the river... I don't think there's anything special about it, especially crossing the border sounds to make no sense at all. But don't trust me in this question - I've never walked along the Tisza just south of Szeged... I've been to Szeged lately, so if you need tips, e-mail me.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Szeged