Syracuse Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Syracuse

by Endgame86 Online Now Aug 12, 2003 at 1:48 AM

We are moving to Syracuse in few months. What areas should we look at for living? Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kooka3's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Syracuse

by kooka3 Online Now May 24, 2004 at 6:16 PM

I'd suggest looking at the Fayetteville-Manlius area. Piggy-backing a bit on the previous post, the F-M school district is excellent. I graduated from there and also worked in the district. The area takes education seriously, so there is a great deal of community and parental support. The school is big enough to offer lots of electives, has amazing art and music programs (art/music students routinely win regional/state competitions), many levels of the core classes from remedial to AP level, good special education and support programs for students with LD issues, etc. The F-M area also is a safe, pretty area with easy access to the interstates and the city. Fayetteville is probably a bit cheaper than Manlius in terms of house costs and taxes, but I can't swear to this. The Jamesville-Dewitt area is good as well, also with a good school system (but I have no first hand experience). These towns are all east/southeast of Syracuse within easy commuting distance to downtown. Baldwinsville and Liverpool are also nice areas with good schools. I know, though, that Liverpool is a huge district (4000 students in the high school w/ 4 buildings. By comparison, F-M has about 1300 students in the HS w/2 buildings). Baldwinsville and Liverpool are N/NW of the city, also easy to commute into the city. Cazenovia and Chittenango beautiful areas, but are further out to the east, but still about 30 minutes into downtown Syracuse. Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to write if you have specific areas in mind.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Moving to Syracuse

by mccm333 Online Now Sep 28, 2004 at 9:29 AM

Hi, Within the city the best living areas are the upper Northside and the Tipperary Hill neighborhoods. The most affluent areas near Syracuse are Fayettville ,Manlius and Skaneateles areas. Crowded suburban areas are Cicero/ North Syracuse, Camillus, and Liverpool areas. Quaint country living but still not far from the city..... Jordan/Elbridge, Warners, Baldwinsville and Marcellus areas! Very nice! Good Luck, Patrick McCarthy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines