Sydney Travel Answers

change location
Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

Motel / cheap B&B in Sydney

by Tricky_Dicky69 Online Now Dec 2, 2004 at 10:28 AM

We are touring NS next year and originally booked 3 nights at a motel in North Sydney but it seems like there is not too much there in the way of restaurants etc. Is it better to stay in Sydney ? Any recommendations for somewhere fairly cheap ?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • iandsmith's Profile Photo

Re: Motel / cheap B&B in Sydney

by iandsmith Online Now Dec 2, 2004 at 2:56 PM

Neutral Bay has dozens of restaurants, probably close to 100. Where exactly in North Sydney are you staying? There's North Sydney the suburb and North Sydney generally (as in what's north of the Sydney Harbour Bridge). Either way there's plenty of eating houses around. Crows Nest is another place with lots of cafes and pubs. Cheers, Ian

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Dec 3, 2004 at 5:48 PM

Are we talking about Sydney in Nova Scotia or Sydney in New South Wales here? Bill

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Motel / cheap B&B in Sydney

by mccalpin Online Now Dec 3, 2004 at 5:54 PM

Well, maybe some Canadians will be as helpful as the Aussies and own up to having a Sydney in their country ;-) Bill

• Redlats's Profile Photo

by Redlats Online Now Dec 3, 2004 at 7:06 PM

I am amazed that you would spend three days in Sydney. We spent two and a half weeks in NS, and did not even stop in Sydney. We did however spend a day and a half in Louisbourg spending our days at the Fortress. I have a copy of the 2004 Nova Scotia travel guide. There are nine B&B's in Sydney. Depending what you are looking for I could quote you places from the guide. It is only 10 or 15 km from Sydney to North Sydney. It probably doesn't make much difference which city you stay at assuming you are driving. There are also seven B&B's in North Sydney - probably because of the ferry. Redlats

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

by Tricky_Dicky69 Online Now Dec 5, 2004 at 12:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. We are just using Sydney as a base to be within driving distance of the fortress as well as a few places up towards Cape Smokey. What were the highlights of your trip? We are planning 2 nights near Digby, 1 night in Truro, 1 in Antigonish, 3 in Cheticamp, 3 in Sydney, 2 in Port Hawksbury then 3 nights in Halifax. Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary or have we missed something out. We are mainly planning to just tour round to enjoy the scenery with a bit of hiking thrown in.

by Redlats Online Now Dec 6, 2004 at 1:10 AM

Your indicate that your planned itinerary is "2 nights near Digby, 1 night in Truro, 1 in Antigonish, 3 in Cheticamp, 3 in Sydney, 2 in Port Hawksbury then 3 nights in Halifax". After the experience of our trip, I would change it to the following: 1 night near Digby, 1 night in Annapolis Royal (we spent 2), 1 night in Bridgewater (after spending all day hiking in Kejimkujik NP), 1 night in Lunenburg, 1 in Antigonish (only because you cannot get from Lunenburg to Cheticamp in one day without driving like a maniac - not because there is much in Antigonish), 1 in Cheticamp, 2 north of Cape Breton Highlands NP, 1 south of CBHNP, 2 in Sydney/Louisbourg, 1 in Port Hawksbury, 3 nights in Halifax (you might want to stick Halifax between Lunenburg and Cheticamp instead of at the end) - the airport is actually an hour north of Halifax. I reduced time in a couple of places were I didn't think there was that many days of activities, and added a short jaunt to the south coast taking in Lunenburg - a world heritage site as an old fishing village. Good luck with the trip planning - what month are you planning on being there? Reservations are necessary in July/August but not otherwise.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Online Now Dec 7, 2004 at 8:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. We're going at the end of August ( to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary ) I have booked the car and the 3 nights at the end in Halifax at The Radisson Suites. Did you stay anywhere that you would recommend during your travels?

by Tricky_Dicky69 Online Now Dec 7, 2004 at 8:55 AM

No worries. Thanks for trying anyway. Maybe one day I'll make it down under.

by Redlats Online Now Dec 7, 2004 at 9:02 AM

We stayed in B&B's, preferring the camaraderie of staying with people over hotel/motels. The Maritimes have a lot of B&B's, and we were only disappointed once out of some 15 nights @ Nova Scotia B&B's. I could find the list of the specific B&B's we chose, but I don't think you should limit yourself to that list. We travelled using the Nova Scotia vacation guide which lists all accommodations in all towns. I'm sure you can get a copy mailed to you. You will have to book ahead for an August vacation -- especially in some of the places where there are not enough rooms (like around Cape Breton Highland National Park). I would direct you to my VT pages, but I am only 1/2 finished the VT account of our trip.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Online Now Dec 7, 2004 at 9:17 AM

We have loads of NS guides and maps already and have spent hours looking at them as well as web-sites etc. B & B's are o.k. for us. Can you give me your favourite 2. We decided to spend more than 1 night in each place otherwise I think that there is a risk of just driving in, eating and sleeping and driving out again instead of really havibg the chance to explore properly.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines