Sydney Travel Answers

change location
wonglaipeng's Profile Photo

Bush Walk in Blue Mountains during Winter?

by wonglaipeng Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I was advised to take either a railway, cable way or skyway up to Blue Mountain & bush walk down instead since I am taking along my 3kids.
Any comments on this?

May I know how many hours it will take to bush walk down from the mountain?
Any suggestions on rest areas or rest stops along the journey back?
We plan to go as early as 9am but leave at 3pm.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: Bush Walk in Blue Mountains during Winter?

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM

There's no individual "Blue Mountain" - the Blue Mountains is a vast area, a World Heritage Site, covering about 10,000 square kilometres. They're not bare rocky mountains but are covered in eucalypt trees (gum trees) the oil of which gives the air a blue haze.

You can either take a tour or you can take a train from Central station in Sydney to one of the towns in the Blue Mountains - for example, Wentworth Falls, Leura, Katoomba. The train takes about 2 hours.

Katoomba is a good choice and from there you can take easy wealks to Three Sisters, Echo Point etc. Have a look here www.bluemts.com.au/tourist/thingstodo/bushwalks for information on the walks.

With three kids it may be easier for you to think about a guided tour day trip by coach.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • peteyjim's Profile Photo

by peteyjim Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM

As per the last reply, The Blue Mountains is a big area, encompassing many suburbs. It takes a good 40min to an hour to drive from one side to the other. Katoomba is where the 3 sisters lookout is, but there's many areas with great walking tracks, eg Blackheath, Leura, Medlow Bath, etc.

What you're talking about is at a tourist centre near the 3 sisters. You can catch the cablecar across the valley, or the scenic railway down near the bottom of the gorge and do walks there.
    It's a bit of a climb back up, but if you're fit and active it can be done. Can't comment on the paths, but I've done it yeeeeears ago.

Here's a link to the area, which should help.
    http://www.bluemts.com.au/

• peteyjim's Profile Photo

by peteyjim Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Scenic world is the name of the place with the cable car/railway.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hi Lai Peng. You and the kids will love the Blue Mountains!

Katoomba is where you will find the Scenic Skyway and railway. All the info you need is here - http://www.scenicworld.com.au

You can catch the train from Sydney Central to Katoomba and then jump on the Blue Mountains Explorer or Trolley Tours which will take you right there.

We did the train down the hill, walked around on the nice rainforest pathways and then took the cable car back up. The kids will just love it!

Have a great time!

Cheers, Ann.

• wonglaipeng's Profile Photo

by wonglaipeng Online Now Mar 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions and advise.
    Taking into consideration that I will be bringing my 3kids along for this trip and we are tourists, I will take the suggestion of a complete guided day tour to safe us a headache.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Mar 9, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Good stuff mate. You and the kids will have a wonderful day! Have a great time downunder!! Cheers, Ann.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines