Sydney Travel Answers

change location

Return fligths from Sydney to London

by RituPrasad Online Now May 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Hi, I am planning to go to London in August this year. This will be my first flight to London and I have never done such a long fligth before. Could you please suggest a good airline interms of good service, leg space, food and reasonable price? I prefer one stopover. I am looking at a few options i.e. Etihad, Cathay, British, Emirates. Please share your experience to help me decide which airline to fly.
Thanks heaps in advance.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: Return fligths from Sydney to London

by colin_bramso Online Now May 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Leg space is pretty much the same on all airlines. These days we always fly Emirates non-stop to Dubai, then it's one more flight to London. In-flight entertainment is about the best there is, service and food are as good as any we've had. Friends have flown Etihad and said they're equally good, and they could be cheaper. We also used to use Cathay and Singapore Airlines, and again they're good to fly with.

If you're choosing between airlines of that calibre then convenience of flight times, choice of stopover location and price are what you need to look at.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now May 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I like Singapore Airlines the most and felt they had a tiny bit more room between the seats. If Emirates fly out of Sydney I would look at their website, there would probably only be 1 stop in Dubai - looking at flights myself Adelaide to Munich, Emirates was 7 hours less than Qantas. You possibly need to look at each airline.s website and figure out whether price outweighs flying time, there are quite big differences between both price and time. I have had good experiences with Qantas, Lufthansa and Singapore airlines, have heard good reports about Malaysian airlines. I would be reluctant to fly with any of the lesser known airlines.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now May 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM

We have flown Qantas, Emirates, British (many years ago), and Singapore to Singapore. .... I have a friend who travels Etihad to Ireland.

We usually fly Emirates.

Our first concern is always safety and as far as I know all the airlines you mention are well respected in terms of safety.

If you travel via Singapore you have a shorter first leg and a longer 2nd leg.

If you travel via Dubai you have a longer first leg....We usually do this....same with Abu Dhabi

You can explore this site re seating comfort.
    http://www.seatguru.com/

For your seating if you travel economy it is always tight. In this case we opt for an aisle seat so we can move around more easily. Bulkhead or exit seats have more room ...if these are available. Bulkhead seats are often taken with baby carriages.

In economy I do not choose the wide section in the centre of the plane ....seems crowded.
    Anyway look at seat guru.

You need to wear flight stockings and move around. Avoid alcohol and over eating. Keep your skin moist and drink water. Put your mind in 'flight mode'.
    (On my first flight as a much younger person I must admit I ate and drank everything..LOL)

Re meals....with all the airlines I travel on internationally the meals are pre prepared but OK....menus vary.....if you have special dietary needs let them know.

Re price you need to do your homework....early bird rates help. Look on the net or with your travel agent for specials.

Oh and remember to check what you are allowed to carry on the plane....you need a clear plastic bag for creams and fluids....read up regulations...and for size of baggage.
    Have everything well labelled and keep important papers and medications with you.

Be at the airport early for security etc.

There is heaps more I can add but others will come in and I can follow up later if questions arise from what I have written.

• tumbytraveller's Profile Photo

by tumbytraveller Online Now May 8, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I have flown Qantas and more recently Singapore airlines and can recommend them both.On Singapore airlines I paid a little extra to get exit row seats as my partner is quite tall and appreciated the extra leg room. I prefer an aisle seat myself so I can go to the restroom when I choose without having to get past any sleeping passengers.
    Your choice of airline will probably come down to what departure city, time,price and stopover hub is most suitable for you.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now May 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Singapore Airlines- by far the best..........in every way, Food is superb and service par exellance
    Changi Airport is excellent if you have a stopover........its the perfect spot
    The extra charge for exit row id A$200

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now May 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Singapore Airlines and Quantas are both very good. Regarding leg space, it is the same in most airlines, but here is a tip that may come useful. If you cannot manage to get the first row (which is usually allocated to those traveling with infants, you should opt for the emergency exit row, which has so much more leg space; you could also log in to the website and have a look at the seating arrangement, sometimes the second aisle row has four seats out of which the corner two have more leg space, depending on the airlines)
    Have a safe and good flight,

• Re: Return fligths from Sydney to London

by BillWeston Online Now May 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I've heard only good things about Qantas but i've not flown them myself. I've used BA and they're reasonable

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now May 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

vpas wrote:
    Singapore Airlines and Quantas are both very good. Regarding leg space, it is the same in most airlines, but here is a tip that may come useful. If you cannot manage to get the first row (which is usually allocated to those traveling with infants, you should opt for the emergency exit row, which has so much more leg space; you could also log in to the website and have a look at the seating arrangement, sometimes the second aisle row has four seats out of which the corner two have more leg space, depending on the airlines) Have a safe and good flight,

Seetha it is near impossible to pre book those exit rows, because I have tried many times.........because the option is to actually PAY for the privilage of having an exit row seat (Singapore Airlines) and that is what we now always do. I expect that is the reason why it was always so difficult to pre book online (re online check in)

The cost to secure an exit row seat is A$200.00 - well worth it in my opinion

by Kuskiwi Online Now May 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Another option I've used successfuly was Korean Air, but a lot depends on your timeframe. The Aust and NZ flights get into Seoul after most of the Europe flights have left and you overnight in a hotel which they pay for. It's on the peninsular that the airport is on and while I thought about going into the city it didn't work out, but it did give me a chance to stretch out and a night to unwind as I left for the flight directly from work. With two or even four the airline do relatively cheap introductory bus tours of the city but I was travelling solo so again that didn't work for me. On the way back there is no free overnight as the flights connect. Usually I go Emirates and while Korean did not have as many bells and whistles, it was still a good flight (and cheaper)

by RituPrasad Online Now May 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Hi All, Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions and information. It is much appreciated.

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now May 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Hello Lynne,
    It has been a few years since I traveled by Singapore Airlines. But I recently traveled by Emirates and also by Air India and Qatar Airways, all of them allowed us to choose emergency exit seats without charging us extra. I did get the emergency seat for myself in Singapore Airlines when I traveled a few years back, but they did not allow my boys since both of them at that point were minors. But maybe their rules are different now. In any case like you said it is worth getting a good seat even if we have to pay extra. I totally agree. It would otherwise spoil a relaxing holiday!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

by iandsmith Online Now May 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I've flown most airlines from Alitalia down. Personally, there's not a great deal of difference. Flight catering is only done by one or two companies at each airport so the food, though it does vary, is often similar. Because most airlines are either using airbuses or Boeing leg room is similar. Most recently I've flown Japan, Etihad and Malaysia and they were all good though I did get an upgrade from Japan which was fantastic.
    I just go online and check out who's cheapest then book.
    Whatever you choose, have a good time. Cheers, Ian

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines