Sydney Travel Answers

change location
dyah.ES's Profile Photo

4 days in Sydney with toddler and senior

by dyah.ES Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Hi ,
I will have my family visit me in Australia and would like to bring them in Sydney which I never been there too. I just recently moved o Australia too.
We will spend like 4 days there, any idea where to go?
Thing to consider is that there will be my mother (72 but fit) and little niece (3 yrs). Something not very adventourir I am thinking :-)

And where is the best place to buy souvenir ? We will stay near central station
Thanks for all input

Dyah

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: 4 days in Sydney with toddler and senior

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I guess with that age range you won't want to travel too far or do anything too strenuous, but you'll be fairly central and can use the trains to get around. I suggest Chinatown, Darling Harbour, Central Quay for the Opera House and Harbour Bridge and also The Rocks historic area. You could for example take the train to Circular Quay and after looking around that area take a ferry to Darling Harbour. There's also Taronga Zoo and a ferry ride through the harbour to Manly and back (from Circular Quay) is a must-do. Manly has two beaches, one ocean and one harbour, plenty of restaurants/cafes, easy walks and an aquarium to visit. You might like to visit Paddy's Market between Chinatown and Darling Harbour too. You can find souvenirs there and also in The Rocks shops.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • peteyjim's Profile Photo

by peteyjim Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Paddy's markets is full of the usual tourist souvineer stands, and it's close to central.
    Catch the monorail as it's getting dismantled at the end of June.
    The Darling harbour aquarium & the wildlife world next door are great - and easier to do than Taronga if you just want to pat a kangaroo/koala (actually you might have to pay to pat the koala - not sure).
    Go on a Ferry trip over to manly for fish & chips on the beach. If you catch the ferry back at sunset the city & bridge look great as they gradually light up.

• Andyl-on-the-loose's Profile Photo

by Andyl-on-the-loose Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Trip to Manly by Ferry for the Fish and Chips, and then maybe the bus up to North Head Scenic Park, which leads to a stroll to North Head itself. Magnificent views of the Harbour. and the Eastern Suburbs. A day to visit Bondi Beach just to say you've 'been there done that' and a walk along the cliffs toward Coogee.Bus back to the City when you had enough. Maybe a day at Darling Harbour with its many attractions. A further day at the Rocks, and lets not forget the 40 year old Opera House. Throw up in the air, and choose and have a great time

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Besides the above suggestions, a visit to the Botanical Gardens would be lovely- take a picnic and enjoy. The toddler can run around safely, and there are benches for your mother to sit on, under trees. There are huge ponds with ducks (take along some bread to feed the ducks)
    This is a pastime that we have done as a familyfor many years. The gardens are wonderful when flowers are in bloom especially.
    And its FREE.
    For really cheap souvenirs- walk along George Street, there are hundred of small shops selling typical Australian stuff for very little cost.
    Another great Sydney icon to visit is the beautiful Queen Victoria Building, which is right in the middle of CBD. Shopping, resturants and coffee shops. There are lifts and escalators.
    If you are staying near Central Station, you can get a train to Town Hall Staion (one stop) and you will be right at Queen Victoria Building.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM

The harbour area with the opera house and bridge is essential. The nearby botanical gardens are great - I was fascinated by the fruit bats. The rocks area is worth a look. I'm sure the toddler would love Taronga Zoo - get there by boat. Maybe also a beach - Manly, Bondi, or Coogee - you can get to Manly by ferry. Coogee and Bondi by bus.

Watson's Bay was good for fish and chips - get there by boat. I also liked Botany Bay we got there by bus.

There was also a revolving restaurant with good views quite centrally located.

1 member found this helpful

• Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

The Manly ferry is definitely the best and cheapest way to see the harbour. When you get to Mannly, walk down the Corso (pedestrian mall) to the surf beach. Pick up take away food on the way and enjoy it by the sea.
    If your niece could manage a couple of hours on a bus or a train, make a day trip to the Blue Mountains. I loved the senic railway as a child.

• dyah.ES's Profile Photo

by dyah.ES Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM

• Robmj's Profile Photo

by Robmj Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM

for the young ones, head to the Zoo, its World class and a short ferry ride from Central station / circular quay. Other than that, close to central is the Rocks area and Darling harbour, you can get to Darling harbour on the monorail from Circular key. The Rocks is a short walk and both are flat if your older family members are in tow. Another ferry ride will get you to Manly, a fantastic beach suburb. Sydney offers so many things to do, grab the local guide book from anywhere.

• DennyP's Profile Photo

by DennyP Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 5:22 AM

Hello Dyah..Well looking at the many options already mentioned..there is obviously many things to choose from for your four day visit..There are many things that you can do with a small child and a senior..seeing that you will stay near Central I suggest that it will be easy for you to move around the city by train and local transport..the green busses are free by the way in the CBD..trains link up with all ferries at Circular Quay and is best to get day tickets enabling you to travel on bus,train and ferry....I would definately get the train to Town Hall station.(just one stop) here is located the Queen Victoria building and a definate must to visit.This is truly a lovely old building with many outlets...
    There are many places that are easily visited by public transport..at the "hub " Circular Quay".
    1,..Darling Harbour is a short ferry ride that takes you under the Harbour Bridge past the Opera house to Darling Harbour..
    Located here in Darling Harbour are many shops restaurants and a little train for everyone to ride..around the area..There is the "maritime Museum" and a "wildlife world"
    2 Also located here in Darling Harbour is the beautiful and peaceful Chinese Gardens...sit and enjoy the ambience of this lovely peaceful place in the city centre.over a cup of" herbal tea".
    3.catch the ferry from Darling Harbour to the Quay and then enjoy the history of the "Rocks area" the earliest setled part of Sydney..here at the Rocks you will find the Visitors Information centre ...and here you can obtain free maps of the city and a plethora of information as to what to see and do while in Sydney...The staff here are very helpful with your enquiries..
    4. A day trip to Manly..by ferry from number 4 pier..the journey is one of the best ferry trips and is the best way to get to see Sydney harbour..sit on one side going and the other returning and get to see the beauty of the harbour and its Isalnds..Manly itself has always been as they say (seven miles from the city and a thousand from care).A truly wonderful area of Sydney...I know I am biased(as I grew up in Manly)...there are two Main Beaches the Harbour beach (when you get off the ferry is on your left),,this is a great beach for mums and kids.also is netted to stop "nasties" great for kids..!!.a walk up the Corso finds you at the Main Ocean beach..and the Pacific ocean...all along the Corso are many shops of all varieties,,especially eateries..,here you can find any souvenirs that you have not already got.Too!!.
    5.have a sit down on the beach with some great fish and chips or enjoy a great Aussie meat pie from the pie shop in the Corso..The local "pubs " have great food also..
    6..I guess I would have to include Taronga Park Zoo another ferry ride from Circular Quay,,here everyone can enjoy the wildlife and I think there are little trains that go around there also to avoid walking so much,,,the views of the Harbour here are spectacular..

I certainly hope that you get something of interest here for your visit,,,enjoy Sydney it is a great vibrant city ...also you may to look at my Sydney and Manly pages here on VT.there are many tips on what to do and see....enjoy...good luck..

1 member found this helpful

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM

We went to the Toranga zoo by ferry and thoroughly enjoyed that. The other two places that I would recommend with a toddler are Darling Harbour and Circular Quay.
    You can spend quite a lot of time in the Darling Harbour area, there is much to see, eat and also there is a maritime museum, an aquarium etc. Do have a look at my pages for more info.
    Have a safe trip,

• peteyjim's Profile Photo

by peteyjim Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

There's a great playground and water park in Darling Harbour next to Tumbalong Park (the big oval next to the chinese gardens). It's one of the best things for kids in the city, and there's restaurants, bars (and McDonalds) right beside it. Considering it's free, it's obviously very popular and quite easy to lose your kid amongst it all.
    Just make sure there's spare clothes for the toddler as they're bound to get wet.
    A few of the bars & restaurants around Darling Harbour, Cockle Bay, and King st Wharf have "kids eat free", or cheap kids meal deals which is always a drawcard for us.

The Maritime museum is also great, if the toddler wants to climb on an old "pirate ship", submarine & destroyer (unsure of the correct class).

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I just remembered, check out my pages for an off the beaten track place which would be good for the mixed aged group that you need to satisfy. There is a water clock in Hornsby. It can be reached easily by train. The water clock is just outside the Hornsby train station. There are many cafes outside and you can easily spend half a day there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines