Sydney Travel Answers

change location
hayley1989drink's Profile Photo

Accomodation

by hayley1989drink Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Reasonably priced accomodation to stay in Sydney Australia. Not sure if I want to stay in a hostel as I am travelling alone. Any suggestions please?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

Re: Accomodation

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Sydney accommodation is relatively expensive. check one of the sites like Wotif.com for your dates, to see what is available, then ask on this board about places you might pick.
    The YHA hostels are often used by all sorts and ages of people, and are usually worth considering. There are 3 in the CBD area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

hayley1989drink wrote:
    Reasonably priced accomodation to stay in Sydney Australia. Not sure if I want to stay in a hostel as I am travelling alone. Any suggestions please?

I noticed from an earlier question of yours that you want to be in Sydney around September. This is the start of our spring.

Unfortunately, accommodation IS expensive, unless you stay in the outer suburbs.

A very good (and popular) hostel is The Rocks YHA- its situated at Circular Quay area and has magnificent harbour views. I know a number of travellers who have stayed here, and loved it. Its close to CBD and ferries, trains and buses.

If you are interested you would have to book way ahead, so here is a link:

1 member found this helpful

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Reasonably priced accommodation, sometimes with shared bathroom, can be found around $80 upwards at Potts Point which is very close to the Sydney cbd. Bus service available.
    The Grand Hotel in Hunter street central sydney has rooms for $85 shared bathroom, a good price for in the city centre.
    Don't expect a lot for that price

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Haley, i would certainly consider staying in a hostel BECAUSE YOU ARE ALONE!!! You will meet plenty of other people, make friends and get some ideas of possible employment, good economical restaurants and quite often the hostels have some type of program such as walking tours. Australia is no longer as cheap as it used to be so maybe it is best to stay in a hostel until you find suitable employment then rent accommodation near your workplace.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Good advice from David. People talk and often tell others of job openings. These days in Australia, a lot of job opportunities are done by word of mouth. It sounds like the cheaper hotels and the hostels, backpackers all have shared bathrooms.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

if u prefer hotel, Chinatown vicinity which is walking distance to Darling Harbour has plenty of budet hotels, we stayed twice at Aaron hotel, I think single bedroom is less than $100. Check Wotif they sometimes have promotions for lots of hotels.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM

there is a hostel type called Alishan International Guest House in Glebe (close to the CBD) where I sometimes stay. It has a ran ge of accomodation, room with en suite, room share bathroom and dorms. It isn't a party place, families stay there, it is in a rather lovely old house

• hayley1989drink's Profile Photo

by hayley1989drink Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thank you all. Much appreciated!! :o)

• Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 3:54 AM

balhannah wrote:
    Reasonably priced accommodation, sometimes with shared bathroom, can be found around $80 upwards at Potts Point which is very close to the Sydney cbd. Bus service available. The Grand Hotel in Hunter street central sydney has rooms for $85 shared bathroom, a good price for in the city centre. Don't expect a lot for that price

I have stayed at the Grand Hotel. You get what you pay for. It is very conveniently, but situated above a noisy pub (you check in at the bar). The bathrooms are shared, and the bedrooms very dated. They provide breakfast in a shared room, but there are no staff supervising, so it is possible that someone used up all the milk allocation the night before, leaving you with dry cereal or toast, and black tea or coffee. 

• empresstraveller's Profile Photo

by empresstraveller Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM

go on to couchsurfing website and register there. Then contact members in the area and see if you can stay with them. It is free !!

• mikinoz's Profile Photo

by mikinoz Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM

One website I can highly recommend for an excellent range of accommodation at very reasonable prices is Airbnb.com
    I joined the website last year and booked all my accommodation through them on my trip to USA and saved hundreds of $$$$$!!!
    The best thing is, they are world-wide with literally thousands of places to choose from.
    Check it out and see if it's for you - staying with locals can have lots of benefits apart from decent digs at a good price!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines