Sydney Travel Answers

change location

Carry on weight

by Electronicanonymous Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Hey there, i'm a first time traveler to Oz. coming from USA. I'm flying on qantas and I'm curious as to the margin on the carry on weight. It says 1 item at 15lb max. If my bag is 18lbs am I gonna have to pay more? Does it really depend on the security personnel? If I'm not checking anything and just have one bag that's a tad heavy, maybe they will have mercy, haha? Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Re: Carry on weight

by Rixie Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Here's a link to overweight baggage fees for Qantas: qantas.com.au/travel/airline...">qantas.com.au/travel/airline...

Don't forget that the dimensions of the bag also are important: the bag must fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment. Qantas specs are here: qantas.com.au/travel/airline...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Carry on weight

by Electronicanonymous Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Thanks for the link. Thats the same page that I originally discovered the weight requirements. My bag isn't rigid and within the dimensional requirements. I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with qantas international flights and having a tiny bit of extra weight in their carry on.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Electronicanonymous wrote:

Thanks for the link. Thats the same page that I originally discovered the weight requirements. My bag isn't rigid and within the dimensional requirements. I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with qantas international flights and having a tiny bit of extra weight in their carry on.

Difficult one to answer........I have flown with Qantas a few times.........at check in, some weigh the bag- some don't.  I think it really is a matter of luck. Can you not lighten the weight a bit? Or take a smaller bag as well and check it in...........

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Electronicanonymous wrote:Thanks for the link. Thats the same page that I originally discovered the weight requirements. My bag isn't rigid and within the dimensional requirements. I just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with qantas international flights and having a tiny bit of extra weight in their carry on.

Difficult one to answer........I have flown with Qantas a few times.........at check in, some weigh the bag- some don't.  I think it really is a matter of luck. Can you not lighten the weight a bit? Or take a smaller bag as well and check it in...........

• johnfromoz's Profile Photo

by johnfromoz Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM

we always fly Qantas. As a general rule If a bags looks oversize or the traveller looks like they are struggling with the weigh they will usually weigh it. You are allowed two carry on bags with Qantas, with one being a laptop bag or handbag. You can put some of your heavier items in your handbag to keep the weight down in your other carry on bag. It always works for us
    Have a great trip

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM

You have a generous check in allowance coming over the Pacific so can you put some extra weight there. Remember though travelling around on domestic flights is no where near as generous with luggage as international.

I have seen folk with 'obviously 'overweight items get away with it. I would be caught I am sure but also they take up more than their fair share of space.

But if you have an overcoat with big pockets that helps for small and heavy

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Another good reason for keeping your carryon under the weight limit - or checking a bag - will be if you intend to make an purchases while in OZ. If you're already over the limit and then add to it....

It's pretty true of most airlines that they'll weigh/measure a bag if it looks heavy/overstuffed so I'd go less rather than more.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM

I was traveling with a scooter (in a suitcase) a suitcase and a carry-on with my computer. They didn't weigh my carryon, but I saw many other passengers with their personal belongings spread out all over the airport floor trying to get their baggage packed so that it met the limits. So - my advice is the same as the others (put stuff in pockets) with the addition that you should wear all the heavy clothes and shoes that you can. And also put anther small lightweight cloth bag in your luggage that you can put some items into if they weigh your bag and it is overweight.

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines