Sydney Travel Answers

change location
Gembly's Profile Photo

Where do I live??

by Gembly Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Looking at renting a 2 bed unit in the suburbs...What are they like? Especially the Botany Bay area (Hillsdale/ Maroubra/ Matraville) Thanks :)

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Depends on how long you want to rent for..........accommodation is expensive in Sydney

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gembly's Profile Photo

Re: Where do I live??

by Gembly Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I'm looking to stay for a year and I've actually found a place that's within my budget. I just want to know what these areas are like before I commit to it - Quiet or noisy? Too far from the CBD? Restaurants? And is it a safe area?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

On few occasion I visited Oz, I stayed in Manly and Maroubra,as one of my cousins lives there.They live just off the Maroubra Bay very close to the beach.
    I really love the beach there and I found that is very nice family oriented safe neighborhood.
    I have young family and if I was choosing place to raise them will be Maroubra.. Again depend what you are looking in the neighborhood, and will you consider somewhere else?
    I found it very easy to get to the center of town (Opera house, circular Quay, The Rocks) Sydney train/metro system is brilliant and buses too. But again I was only visiting for few weeks and may be the cost of commuting is someting which will play very big part in your decision.
    Talking about good connections, I found Paramata very nice, and it has very much fast connection to the Circular Quay with the ferry, the CAT is very fast and many ppl commute every morning .... best is to look how much will cost you in monthly combined ticket using the public transport.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Are you going to work whilst in Sydney, if so do you know the suburb or city centre. Traffic is hectic in Sydney and I would recommend you live near the suburban metro

I think these suburbs are OK, but cannot comment on noisy or not, if located on a main street expect noise.

Have you used Google search to view the street, just type in street address, and change street number to see surrounding houses.

good Luck

• Andyl-on-the-loose's Profile Photo

by Andyl-on-the-loose Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Little Bay has one of the nicest beaches in Sydney, surrounded by Golf courses and near to where you are looking. (Long Bay is the one with the prison :-) )Transport into the City is probably OK, for Sydney. Buses run pretty late, and you are fairly close to the Uni Of NSW. Which means cheap-ish eats fro the Students. And there are some very nice restaurants in the Randwick area. Enjoy your trip

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:37 AM

I'e actually found an apartment in my budget, I just want to know what the area is like before I sign on the dotted line!

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Thank you for that information! I will be very helpful. The place I've found in in Hillsdale but I can't find anything about the area on the internet... I guess I'll keep looking!
    I would consider somewhere else but I have a tight budget and I've been looking for about 8 weeks and nothing else comes close to this unit in Hillsdale for price.

• Re: Where do I live??

by fionasydney Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Hillsdale is walking distance to a big shopping centre, Eastgardens, where there are lots of bus options to the CBD, to Maroubra (a beautiful beach) to Coogee and Bondi. There is really nothing in the way of nightlife, cafes etc but Eastgardens has heaps of shops, banks and a big cinema and there a several nearby suburbs that DO have a more vibrant, busy life. It's as safe as any other suburb and a mix of young families, students and older people live there. If it's in your price range and your happy not to have "life" on your doorstep, I think it will be fine. I work in Matraville and it's similar. The big advantage, in my opinion, is proximity to Maroubra beach, so much nicer than famous Bondi!

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Thank you so much for this information! I think you've made the decision for me! Yes, I have seen pics and heard that Maroubra beach is lovely - can't wait to get on any kind of beach to be air theough!
    It's not a problem that there's no nightlife to speak of - we're not really the bar/nightclub types!
    Thank you again :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines