Sydney Travel Answers

change location

visa help?

by chelseauk7 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Im looking to go to Australia in September on my own, I was going to organise through a gap year programme but seems too much money this way, but now I wont get help with my visa, was wondering do i need the £3000 ($5000) backing money before i apply for my visa? Sorry just new to this any advice and tips will help. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: visa help?

by davidjo Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Better you ask the embassy, not us.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM

If you have an STA Travel shop near you, I suggest you do it through them. I am new to the whole travelling thing too, and they were so helpful - they completely put my mind at rest.
    Just been granted my visa (which I did through STA), and I was told that the $5000 they suggest you have doesn't have to be cold hard cash. It can be a credit card or even just an account you have access to. (Having said that, you will need actual money. Don't think you can just rely on someone else or max out your credit card.)

Seriously, go to STA Travel - they'll give you sound advice!
    Good luck x

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM

ps: I have zero dollars in the bank and I've just been granted my visa, so don't worry about that right now. Plus the visa (I'm guessing it's a working holiday one??) is valid for 12 months, and your 12 month time limit only activates when you arrive in Australia, so if you do it now, you have until Feb2014 to get to Oz, then your visa kicks in. x

• Re: visa help?

by lydiaroseg Online Now Apr 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Hi chelsea! i am planning the same kind of trip as you and I actually applied for my visa today.. I went on the immi.gov website and it took about 20 mins to fill out forms and they said it takes 48 hours to be accepted or rejected (i applied at 5pm and they got back to me at 10pm tonight) hooray! so i didnt have to give them any evidence of bank details because i definitely dont have that much in my account and i have been accepted!! x

by chelseauk7 Online Now Apr 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I've got in now, I got it from same site and got answer same day, thanks though! When are you looking to go?x

by lydiaroseg Online Now Apr 9, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I am going to book my flight to Sydney for 3rd September, and hopefully stay in Sydney and work until new year, then use the money I have saved up to go travelling for the rest of my visa, not really made any plans on where I want to go yet though.. what are your plans? x

by chelseauk7 Online Now Apr 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I've booked my flight for the 9th of September! Can't wait. Yeh that's exactly what I'm hoping to do work until jut after the new year in Sydney then see where I go next x

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines