Switzerland Travel Answers

change location
KennedyS1's Profile Photo

Euroairport (Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg) BSL

by KennedyS1 Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I have a small problem that I'd like to share with you! I am visiting Freiburg (Germany) next March 2013. I have a flight from Istanbul -SAW Airport-, to Euroairport -BSL Basel-Muhlouse-Freiburg-, which is in the French region of that trinational area. According though to information given by the airline (Easyjet) I am supposed to arrive in Switzerland, or I will check out through the Swiss part of the airport. In fact that airport which has two different codes (one french MHL, one swiss BSL) is in France at St. Louis. Has anyone of you, visited the area or known a lot more things about which country I am supposed to arrive, as I have thenafter to travel northbounds to Freiburg?

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • explore_discover's Profile Photo

Re: Euroairport (Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg) BSL

by explore_discover Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

www.euroairport.com/en/passengers/access/

Its 1 Terminal Building with 2 sectors on the right is Swiss and the left is French and road connection to Germany, 50 minutes to Freiburg

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The airport, as you note, is located in France.

But as France, Switzerland and Germany are all part of the 'borderless' Schengen Zone it really doesn't matter which country you land in. Once you have passed through border control/immigration there will be no further checks as you travel to Freiburg.

If you are not driving, there is a direct airport bus to Freiburg:

freiburger-reisedienst.de/en... (in English)

or you can take bus

bvb.ch/fahrplaene/ah_02050A_...

or taxi to Basel railway station and train from there:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Basel>Freiburg (Breisgau) departures are frequent, with journey times from 41 minutes.

• KennedyS1's Profile Photo

by KennedyS1 Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Thank you very much indeed for information! There is though something else I would like to know because in my case, which country will I arrive, in a way matters...!!! Why does it make so much big difference in prise, while renting a car from the Swiss side of the airport? I mean that when I insert the code "BSL" (Euroairport Basel, Switzerland) the prise that I get for a car rental is about 60 or even 70% more expensive than a car rental from the French side of the airport, by inserting the code MHL (Euroairport St. Louis, France). Is there going to be any problem if I arrange to rent a car from France instead of Switzerland? The airport from the Google photographs doesn't really look too big, so everything has to be somewhere around there! What would you do?

• explore_discover's Profile Photo

by explore_discover Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

The Airport is located in French Teritory and the One Terminal Building is devided in to 2 sections, one side is called French and othr side is French, so you can choose which side you prefer to use at the time of making your flight booking and buying ticket if it matters for you to rent vehicle according to which visa you have, EU or Swiss as Switzerland is not part of Schengen Agreement) it is called BSL Basel-Muhlouse-Freiburg I think you are misunderstanding that there will be 3 separate terminal buildings located in French/Swiss/German soil?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Switzerland is, in fact, part of the Schengen Zone. It has been since 2008.

Switzerland is not part of the EU.

I have no idea why there is a difference in car hire prices. I suggest you look at the airport pages:

euroairport.com/en/passenger...

and get quotes from the various car hire companies which are represented at the airport, shown on that page. Do not use the airport code....that's just confusing things. Type in basel-mulhouse-freiburg airport.

• paulhanson's Profile Photo

by paulhanson Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I haven't checked the car rental prices myself, but one mistake which has been made in the past is that people forget that they are comparing different currencies. If you pick up a car on the French side of the airport the price will be quoted in euros; on the Swiss side it will of course be quoted in Swiss francs.

• Re: Euroairport (Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg) BSL

by K_V_B Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Switzerland is part of Schengen, but not of the EU. Which means that when entering Switzerland you are still subject to customs, but not to immigration. That is why the different sections at the airport still exist.
    Renting a car from the Swiss side will give you a Swiss car, which means it will have the motorway sticker, and you can probably drop it off in Switzerland. If your destination is Freiburg rent a car from the French section. Or just take the bus...

• KennedyS1's Profile Photo

by KennedyS1 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Have a look at that: http://www.easyterra.com/ . While you try to hire a car from this website, it is needed from you to refer the place of pick-up, which is in my case... Euroairport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg. While inserting the name of airport, the system automatically gives you two choises of the same airport (BLS or MHL?). According to my flight information, I will check out at the Swiss section (BLS). So I have to insert BLS as the required code. There is though a serious difference in prises (Euros) when you change airport code to MHL. Actually as a Greek national I have no transport problems there, though I will arrive from Istanbul, Turkey. It really confused me though a lot, when I saw from the Google Maps that the Euroairport lies firmly and without further doubts, in France! Thanks you all for the precious informations.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I think the difference in costs may well be accounted for in full by the difference in currencies plus the motorway sticker.

But, to be honest, I think taking the bus will be a heck of a lot less hassle unless the car is essential for other purposes.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM

I'm always very wary of comparison websites (they have to make their money somehow, don't they?). I've never heard of the one you have been using but agree that it gives very different prices for car hire, depending on whether you choose one Basel-Mulhouse' or the other. Which seems very odd indeed.

I suggest you just use the website of the relevant hire companies to get your quote and make your booking.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Basel Airport's French IATA code is MLH, not MHL. MHL is a municipal airport in Missouri. This could explain the difference in rental car rates.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Switzerland Travel Answer Locations