Switzerland Travel Answers

change location

traveling Switzerland

by KClabgirl Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM

We are planning an early summer 2 week trip to Switzerland and need some advice. We are flying into to Zurich then traveling via train to Salzburg, Austria for 2-3 days then back to Switzerland. We plan on parking in just a few cities and venturing out from each to eliminating the constant packing/unpacking and lugging of suitcases. We will get Swiss rail passes and thought we could start in the Appenzell area stay a couple of days then move on to Interlaken/Lautebrunnen are where we would like to rent an apartment for perhaps a week and travel to the surrounding sights even venturing into northern Italy. Should we just stay in the Bernese Oberland region longer or move on finishing up in Zurich where we will depart for home. Any suggestions as to how we parcel our travels and time using our train passes?
Should we get our train tickets to Austria in the US before leaving or just purchase them when we arrive Zurich? I've seen such a variety of prices depending upon the website.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: traveling Switzerland

by gwened Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM

well until the train riders arrive, I just will say you can buy them here in Europe upon arrival, cheaper if using the online service that charges more for tourists like raileurope.

hope it helps

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • scrooge1947's Profile Photo

by scrooge1947 Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I travelled solely by train a few years ago with I think a Swiss Pass, we had unlimited rides on trains and boats.(although Bernina Express etc need an upgrade or actual purchase)
    Arrived in Geneva left from Zurich.
    Some days saw a boat going somewhere and just jumped on, one from Interlarken we went to Thun.
    For me Interlarken was Ok, but not one of my top stops, but Zermatt was so special it rates highly, and Lucerne is a favourite.
    Trains run all the time, and I booked online Hotels that were within reason close to station.

• Bluedawg1968's Profile Photo

by Bluedawg1968 Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hello,

Question... Do you have to fly into Zurich? Seems it would save you some time (and less back-tracking) if you could fly into Salzburg, then out of Zurich.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Jan 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I completely agree with scrooge1947, especially about Zermatt and Lucerne.

• Richard.GVA's Profile Photo

by Richard.GVA Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I personaly would start the holodiay with a "hub" in the Spiez region (easy to find holidsy apartments, good train connections for day trips to Jungfrau, Zermaztt, Lucerne, Bern, Montreux etc.), and then visit Appenzell (a charming region as wel)) on your way to/from Salzburg.

• Re: traveling Switzerland

by KClabgirl Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Thank you Richard.GVA. I believe we will pursue the Spies area for a rental and attach our Austria visit on to the end of our trip. I was concerned about getting train tickets to Austria in advance then having a flight delay and missing our train and possibly losing our accommodations in Austria.
    IF anyone else has any insight please chime in. We are open to any and all suggestions to make this trip unforgettable!
    FYI regarding our flights in and out of Zurich- We have our tickets and are committed- so no adjustments there.

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo

by scrooge1947 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Hard to disagree with a local, as they really know the country, but staying in Zermatt and Lucerne were special taking in these special areas at all times.
    I had my breakfast looking at The Chapel Bridge and had a Luge Ride with Lake Lucerne my view.
    These are lifetime memories, where as my first trip stayed outside of Lucerne at Engelberg, which although nice the next day had seen it all.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Switzerland Travel Answer Locations