Switzerland Travel Answers

change location
BarbaraH25's Profile Photo

Suggestions for travel plans by train

by BarbaraH25 Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I have spoken to several people online who have told me that I should skip Appenzell.

Our trip starts in Frankfurt where we pick up our car. We spend the net two weeks in Germany and Austria. We drop off the car in Lindau Germany on Oct 2, take a boat across the lake to Rorschach, Switz. My plans stop here. We fly out from Zurich Oct 9th. I think I want to stay in Luzern 2 nights, Oct 7 & 8. I also wanted to spend 3 nights in Murren/Jungfrau area (Oct 4,5,6)

Question now; Once we arrive in Rorschach on Oct 2nd, I have two nights to stay???
would love to take scenic train ride, but cant seem to find a route on Bernina or Glacier that will take me from Rorschach towards Murren. any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • Sinjoor's Profile Photo

Re: Suggestions for travel plans by train

by Sinjoor Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

hallo barbara, idid some searching and this is what I came up with. I hope it'll serve your purpose....in any case enjoy your trip and if you can get a glimps at that Eiger- Monch- Jungfrau range which is impressive and UNESCO World Heritage site

subways.net/switzerland/laut...
    hoteleiger.com/seiten/frame-...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM

We did the opposite train route from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne on the Golden Express. Here is a link to a 4 minute video I created of that train trip with music to give you an idea of the trip and some scenery.

youtube.com/watch?v=2qMn4N2w...

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Might I also suggest taking the ride up the cable car and mountain train from Lauterbrunnen to Murren. And then taking 2 more cable cars up to Schilthorn. Here is a video I took of that adventure back in October, 2008.

youtube.com/watch?v=suAabbCK...

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Muerren would be a very long haul for a day-trip from Rorschach -- 5 hours plus in each direction and at least 5 changes of train/bus/lift to get there.

Probably your best (and most relaxing) option would be to enjoy some scenic boat rides on Lake Constance.

One reasonably scenic train ride would be the Voralpen Express from St Gallen to Lucerne. A quick local train ride will get you to St Gallen from Rorschach. You then could return to Rorschach from Lucerne in about 2 1/2 hours with a change in Zurich.

BTW, I'm not sure why "people online" told you to "skip Appenzell," but it would be a doable day trip from Rorschach. You could take the S Bahn to Herisau, then an Appenzeller Bahn train to Appenzell or Wasserauen. If you went all the way to Wasserauen, you could take the lift to Ebenalp for some fine scenery, even if it's not the spectacular peaks of the Jungfrau.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• BarbaraH25's Profile Photo

by BarbaraH25 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Thanks for your reply, however I am not looking for a day trip. Once in Rorschach I have 2 days to go somewhere in Switz on my way to Murren.

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:51 AM

OK, I misunderstood your question. If you're looking for a two-day stop between Rorschach and Muerren, my recommendation would be either Lucerne (if you prefer a larger town), Brienz (if you prefer a lakeside resort), or Engelberg (if you would like to stay in a mountain resort).

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:59 AM

As for scenic trains, you can take the Voralpen Express that I mentioned earlier to get to Lucerne. A part of the Golden Pass route runs from Lucerne to Interlaken (via Brienz), where you can change for the Berner Oberlandbahn to Lauterbrunnen, then the bus/lift or lift/train to Muerren.

by BarbaraH25 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM

riorich55 wrote:
    We did the opposite train route from Lauterbrunnen to Lucerne on the Golden Express. Here is a link to a 4 minute video I created of that train trip with music to give you an idea of the trip and some scenery.

Thank you , that was a great video and we will be traveling on the Golden Express!

riorich55 wrote:

Thank you , that was a great video and we will be traveling on the Golden Express!

Love your video, cant wait!

• matjung's Profile Photo

by matjung Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

You could take a train from Rorschach to Chur (90 minutes).- stay in Chur