Switzerland Travel Answers

change location
SaiS's Profile Photo

Trip to Switzerland, Austria and Italy

by SaiS Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM

My husband and I are planning a 11-day trip to Switzerland, Austria and Italy this summer. We were going through the forums for help, but still are confused about couple of things.
- when is a good time to visit? Mid-June or July?
- We are planning to stay in Switzerland for 5 days, in Austria for 4 days and days in Italy.
We are thinking about Lucern in Switzerland, but are unable to find a cheap decent hotel/BnB. Could someone suggest a clean, cheap one?
Also, unable to find a central place of stay for Austria. We plan to visit the Alps and Salzburg. in Italy, we plan to see the Dolomites only. also, unable to find good deals on hotels/BnBs here?

Thanks a lot for you help!

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Trip to Switzerland, Austria and Italy

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I think you are having difficulty finding 'cheap' deals simply because you looking to visit in high season (July) or shoulder season (mid-June). Prices will, of course, reflect this. For cheap prices it is best to visit out of season.

Have a look at www.booking.com and www.venere.com (both list apartments and b&bs as well as hotels), both reliable sites with extensive listings. I found accomm in Luzern for mid-June from 80CHF for a double room.

If budget really is an issue then it will also be worth looking at hostels, many of which offer separate rooms and not just dormitories. Try www.hostelworld.com

You don't say how you intend to travel, which may affect suggestions for an Austrian base (and for hotels/b&bs). Will you have a car or will you be using public transport to get around?

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Check out Lauterbrunnen, from here the railway takes you up to the top of Europe. Also interlaken and the lakes are 20 minutes by train. Photos on my page

Less than 2 hours by train from Zurich.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM

June weather will be cooler than in July, Europe generally gets very hot during the summer months.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I would choose june as July can be uncomfortably warm and a lot of hotels do not have air conditioning. Switzerland is expensive, if you are on a budget I would maybe spend longer in Austria instead. In western Europe there are some great gems to be found for accommodation but Switzerland would have to be one of the most expensive, meals, trains and so on are also going to cost more then Austria.

I have stayed at the youth hostel at Zug, this town is only 30 mins out of Lucerne and the hostel was great.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM

For Salburg if you really cannot find cheap accomodation then you could opt to sta outside and take the train in. Possible nearby places Werfen, St Johann in Pongau. They are both lovely places in themselves and on the train line.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Switzerland and cheap don't really go together, Switzerland and clean do. I've never been in a hotel in Switzerland which wasn't spotlessly clean.
    But cheap is another thing. Try booking.com as mentioned above and go as early as you can. July is high season and prices reflect this.

When we were in Salzburg, we stayed just outside the border, in Bayrisch Gmain. By car it's a short hop into Salzburg, by bus it's about one hour. Accommodation there is cheaper than in Salzburg and the area is very nice.

• hmb10's Profile Photo

by hmb10 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Greetings! I spent 3 nights in Lucerne late July 2012, stayed at Hotel Alpha. Clean, basic ,walking distance from Lucerne train station,lake etc. quiet location, I felt it offered good budget value...breakfast was included,satisfied me!

• Blahnix's Profile Photo

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Hi,

I use: Booking.com or Secret Escapes or LateRooms.com

I have had great results. Best of all there's a price range for everyone.
    Good luck, Franki

• SallyM's Profile Photo

by SallyM Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Switzerland is definitely not cheap. It might be considering spending longer in Austria. I much prefer Austria to Switzerland, anyway.

We can't really suggest a base without knowing how you are going to be travelling, though.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We went to these places end of May beginning of June and had good weather all but for some parts of Austria. I found the weather to be perfect for walking around and sightseeing.
    As previously mentioned, Switzerland isn't cheap, but what price range are you looking at regarding cheap. Most times we wanted affordable accommodation, so we called in at the tourist information centre and they found it for us. They have prices from cheap - high.
    Have you checked bnb switzerland, it's a good site.
    http://www.bnb.ch/

1 member found this helpful

• Blahnix's Profile Photo

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Hi balhannah,
    Somehow my question of how to get from Nice, France to Roggio, Italy has got itself mixed up with a question from someone else re; Switzerland but thank you for your answer.
    Being new on this site and just feeling my way around it I may have clicked on a wrong button. I will be more careful next time I try to answer a question (that is what I thought I did to the Switzerland, Austria question) I am not exactly computer literate yet. I am still trying to figure out how to get pics. of my trips on my profile.
    Will plod on regardless. Take care and thank you again, Franki

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Don't worry about it...we all did the same sort of thing when we first started on VT! :-)

By the way, you can edit or delete your posts as long as someone else hasn't posted after you...hover top right of your post and click on the gearwheel.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Switzerland Travel Answer Locations