Switzerland Travel Answers

change location
Induc's Profile Photo

Paris to chamonix

by Induc Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I also understand that there is a train from St-Gervais-Le -Fayet to chamonix.
Is it possible to travel through this route while coming from Paris to Geneva by TGV train route. Is it convinient or better to come to Geneva and then go to Chamonix.
induc

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Paris to chamonix

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM

It is possible to do Paris - Geneve - St-Gervais Le Fayet - Chamonix. However this is not that convenient, as at the moment connections between Geneve and that part of the French Alps are not optimal at the moment. This is because of a massive railway project in Geneva itself which will mean better train connections in the future, but cause quite a bit of inconvenience right now.
    It is better to just go Paris - Chamonix bypassing Geneve, by any train that suits your schedule. This usually involves taking a TGV to Bellegarde (in fact, this is the TGV that goes to Geneva, but you get of in Bellegarde) and changing for a local train there. www.sncf.fr has the timetable and prices for you.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by nob-in Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

www.sncf.fr is in French, but while selecting English it redirects to Rail Europe agency (charges commission), that's why it might be better to use tgv-europe.com/en/?rfrr=Home...">tgv-europe.com/en/?rfrr=Home... for booking tickets and checking timetable, no additional commission there

Also remember that if you book your tickets (either Paris-Geneva or directly to Chamonix) in advance, then you can get pretty good price

• Induc's Profile Photo

by Induc Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Thanks K_V_B.
    Your reply is quite valuable. We still have problems in booking through snscf.fr page. In fact we tried a mock run.
    We actually wish to travel in mid-June this year from Paris to chamonix. How many days in advance they open bookig for Bellegarde to chamonix. Alternatively how to find rain schedule for this route in June. We need to book our train from Paris which is 90 days in advance.

Also please advise whether it is possible to travel to Geneva and then take Alpy bus from there to Chamonix
    induc

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Induc's Profile Photo

Re: Paris to chamonix

by Induc Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Thanks nob-in

We tried to trial book the train on suggeted site. Only one train is suggested which reaches chamonix by mid night. A quero for bellegarde to chamonix does not report any trains. Kindly give some tips how to book this train in advance and whxt are possible time tables.
    Induc

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Induc wrote:

Thanks K_V_B. Your reply is quite valuable. We still have problems in booking through snscf.fr page. In fact we tried a mock run. We actually wish to travel in mid-June this year from Paris to chamonix. How many days in advance they open bookig for Bellegarde to chamonix. Alternatively how to find rain schedule for this route in June. We need to book our train from Paris which is 90 days in advance.

Also please advise whether it is possible to travel to Geneva and then take Alpy bus from there to Chamonix induc

You can't book train tickets for June yet, it's to early.

It's also not needed to book this so far in advance. You could buy a ticket from Paris to Chamonix once you are in Paris perfectly. However booking a bit earlier often sames some money. Remember that trains in Europe are more like mass transit than they are like airplanes. Just turning up at the station, buying a ticket and leaving on the first departure is the norm, not the exception.

I would try to book the train somehwere in the beginning of my. You can use www.tgv.com and switch it to English. Do a dummy run for a day next week (choose the same weekday as you intend to travel) to have an idea of times and pirces.

Going via Geneve is not convenient, as busses in Geneve leave from the main bus station, which is a bit of a walk from the main station. 

• Induc's Profile Photo

Re: Paris to chamonix

by Induc Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Thanks K-V-B,

I am able to find schedules for Paris to chamonix time table for month of March. How ever I wish to book my TGV train well 90 days in advance, because you get very good fares. About Euro 23 from Paris to geneva.

May be in June I can book only Bellegarde to Chamonix depending on the connection suitable for my time of arrival in Bellegarde. Is it alright. Will all TGV-Lyria trains to geneva will pass through Bellegarde.
    I also checked Alpybus website. They report almost hourly service from Geneva Airport to Chamonix. They have almost 10 services every day. They charge 19.5 Euro and take about 1hr 15 minutes travel time. I am not sure if that schedule will be there in June also or not. Pl lolk into alpybus website and offer your valuable comments.
    induc

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Induc, you're overthinking this. Train travel is not complicated.
    What you could do is get a ticket for Paris - Bellegarde as soon as reservation for that leg opens (90 days in advance). You can then get this for 25,- euro.
    Bellegarde - Chamonix is 25,10. And that price doesn't change. You would pay that in the day of departure itself. So you can buy that later.
    I don't think Alpybus would be a good solution. They seem to do airport transfers for people going on skiing holidays, so it's quite possible they don't run in summer at all. And you have to get to the airport from the main Geneva station, which is not a big problem, but which adds time and another change.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Switzerland Travel Answer Locations