Switzerland Travel Answers

change location
Induc's Profile Photo

Travel advise

by Induc Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I along with my husband are planning to visit Switzerland and Italy during 11th to 19th June this year. I need help for following aspects. We will travel in Switzerland using Swiss Pass. 1. We would like to visit Mt Blanc in chamonix. I find that there is a train route from Martigny to Chamonix which is quite picturesque. It is also permitted on Swiss Pass. I do not find the time table for that route on sbb.ch site. Can some body suggest, how to find the time table. Will it be same in June. How will be snow in Aiguill de midi. I saw a video of that ride, and entire route was full of snow. It must have been during winter. What is expected in June. 2. We would like to travel on Bernina express route and Glacier route. The land scape there will be with snow in June or not. 3. I read about Gotthard to Matterhorn railway route from Zermatt to Andermatt. Are there regular trains running on that route. Are Swiss Pass allowed on those trains. Where to find time table and fare etc in English

4. How to find boat time table for lakes Thun and briez in Interlakem. We would also be visiting Lake Luzern. How to find boat time table for Lake Luccerne.

Induc

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Travel advise

by balhannah Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM

This website will help you with boat tours for Thun and Interlaken bls.ch/e/schifffahrt/fahrpla...

This one for Lucerne http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en.html

Sorry I can't help with what else you need to know.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Timetables for the Martigny-Chamonix route are only available through April 1st. It also appears SNCF is not sharing timetable information with SBB for some reason. The June timetable won't be identical when it comes out, but you can at least get an idea on frequency and length of the journey. Here's a link to the timetable through April 1st.

chamonix.net/sites/default/f...

by travelfrosch Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 5:31 AM

As for trains from Zermatt to Andermatt, Swisspass is valid on the route. However, if you take "Glacier Express" tourist trains, you will need to reserve in advance and pay an approximately CHF 35 supplement. Here's a link: matterhorngotthardbahn.ch/en...

BTW, I just noticed that there's construction on the railway line between the French border and Chamonix, and there are substitute shuttle buses for part of the route. Keep checking the website for updates to see if construction is completed by June.

• Steve51's Profile Photo

by Steve51 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Bernina Express is at http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?L=4">http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?L=4 and you can book tickets 2 months in advance, and put your reservations in earlier..at least 4 months and maybe longer....and it's recommended that you do. Seaparate tickets and reservations required fro the bus if you are going to travel Lugano - Tirano.

• Re: Travel advise

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Chamonix is in France, and the French part of the line is operated by SNCF. SNCF has only provided the SBB with timetable data till june 8th, which is why you can't look it up yet. At the moment the line is being refurbished, and for this reason the trains have been replaced with buses till at least april 1st. I would check again online a bit closer to your travel date.

As to your question about regular trains: Most railway lines in Switzerland run a regular schedule. The Glacier Express and Berina express trains are just named trains that run on the same routes as the regular trains. So you can go from St. Moritz to Tirano on a regular train and you don't need to reserve or pay a surcharge. The same applies to the Glacier Express, which travels on the Matterhorn - Gotthard railway, but you can also take regular trains there. You can download pages from the printed timetable here: fahrplanfelder.ch/en/welcome... You can most easily find the right page by entering a place name served by the service you are looking for. A few examples, Boats on Thunersee: fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/... Brienzersee fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/... Matterhorn - Gotthard Bahn (trains marked are Glacierexpress) fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/... Bernina line (Trains marked BEX are Bernina Express trains) fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/... You will need to equip yourself with the knowledge of a few german words to read these though...

• Induc's Profile Photo

by Induc Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thank you Travelfrosh for your very valuable advise. I need further clarification. Will there be snow covered grounds during June.

Which route is better, Glacier express route or Gotthart-Matterhorn route in terms of scenery and icefields.

induc

Be the first to rate this answer!

by travelfrosch Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Induc wrote:

Thank you Travelfrosh for your very valuable advise. I need further clarification. Will there be snow covered grounds during June. Which route is better, Glacier express route or Gotthart-Matterhorn route in terms of scenery and icefields.

induc

I can't guarantee the ground will still be snow-covered, but there will certainly be snow on the mountains that time of year.  There will most likely also be snow on the ground at higher elevations of your trip.

The "Glacier Express" runs from Zermatt to St. Moritz, including the segment from Zermatt to Andermatt.  In other words, there is no separate "Matterhorn-Gotthard route."  The "Glacier Express runs on the Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway from Zermatt to Disentis/Muster, then travels on the Rhaetian Railway onward to Chur and St. Moritz.

If you take the actual "Glacier Express" tourist trains, you'll need to pay a supplement, even with a Swisspass.  Regular regional trains also run on the route; you won't have to pay a supplement, but you may have to change trains a few times.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Switzerland Travel Answer Locations