Sweden Travel Answers

change location

Sweden Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by jdbs3 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

We will travel to Sweden for the first time this summer for 18 days, and traveling by car. The planned itinerary is listed below. I’d like to finalize it asap.

I don’t expect we will do much if any hiking other than some on flat terrain; just not packed for hiking and knees are ??.

To cut down on cost, we will stay in hostels, camp ground cabins, or reasonably priced B&B’s. I expect we will make most all of our reservations prior to leaving. Not the way I prefer to travel, but given the cost of Norway, a way to keep costs down.

I’m interested in any feedback, e.g.

• Is the number of days listed for each part of the trip reasonable?
• Any suggestions for either increasing or decreasing the days in a given area based on things to see or do?
• Any suggestions for additions or deletions for the overall route?
• Any suggestions on specific places to stay for each of our daily end destinations
• Any other comments?

Thanks.

Day

1 - 22 – Travel in Denmark (2 days on way to) and Norway
22 – Arrive in Goteborg
23 - Goteborg
24 – Road via Uppsala (see briefly) to Stockholm
25 – Stockholm
26 – Stockholm
27 – Stockholm
28 – Stockholm boat trip on the archipelago
29 – Road via Soderkoping – Vastervik to Kalmar

(I’d love to spend a day seeing Visby on Gotland, but the ferry (even leaving out the car) is just to $$$. Now if we could “thumb” our way on passage for a day to the island ☺

30 – Road via Oland – back to Kalmar – Kosta
31 – Road via Vaxjo – Simrishamn to Ystad
32 – Road via Lund – Malmo to Copenhagen

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Joacim's Profile Photo

Re: Sweden Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by Joacim Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The time schedule is impressive but doable! You will be driving a lot but that you already have figured out I suppose! I definitely think that you should do a little bit more than just stop for an hour or to in Uppsala, why not stay one night there? It is one of the oldest city in Sweden with a fantastic history behind it!

Why not do the same in and skipp Ystad for Lund?

Myself iss living in Gothenburg so if you need some more inside tips here pleae let me know!

/Joacim

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Sweden Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by jdbs3 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

RE: Myself iss living in Gothenburg so if you need some more inside tips here pleae let me know!

Yes, any recommendations you have on what to see, where to stay (best hostel), where to park for free, where to eat reasonably, etc. would be helpful from someone who lives there. We will read the guide books, but first hand input is more valuable. We are not big on museums (they take too long and miss getting to know the city and people), but like to see as much of a city and sites as possible.

We will arrive later in the day after leaving Oslo and passing through/seeing Drammen, Drobak, and Fredrikstad in Norway, so don't expect to arrive until late in the day. We will then spend a full day in Gothenburg before leaving the next day for Stockholm via Uppsala.

• Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hi, I think the schedule is good. I've seen a part of it and liked it very much, certainly along the Vattern lake and of course Goteborg and Stockholm are great! In Stockholm we stayed on a camp ground where they also had cabins, but I don't know the prices. It's camping Rosjobaden, a bit north of Stockholm. It's a nice camping along a lake. Like I already wrote in my answer on your Denmark itinerary I suggest you to stay a day in Malmo. Greetings, Rob

• Joacim's Profile Photo

by Joacim Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Where to stay in gothenburg isn't a straight answer. My suggestion is that you look at both hostelprices and hotelprices. The reason is that a lot of hotels have alot of pricereductions now and then which makes them cheaper than the hostels themselves.

Park free is actually very hard in gothenburg these days. Both hostels and hotels usually have some parking places you can put your car. let the car stay there and take the tram instead!

There is alot of restaurants ofcourse. In general you can say that the closeer you get to the Avenue, the more expensive it gets. The Linne area is alot more fun if you ask me. Smaller and cheaper restaurants, alot more atmosphere and more easy going people!

If I could arrange a small guided tour of the history of central parts of gothenburg (my ex wife does that on a amateur level), is that of interest to you. Just an idea I got now, but I can ask her if you want to!

• Re: Sweden Itinerary – Feedback Requested

by jdbs3 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Joacim,

RE: If I could arrange a small guided tour of the history of central parts of gothenburg (my ex wife does that on a amateur level), is that of interest to you. Just an idea I got now, but I can ask her if you want to!

Yes, it is worth asking about; I'd also need to check with my wife if she would be interested in this. The current itinerary has us arriving late in the day on Wednesday, July 10, seeing the city on July 11, and departing on July 12. Of course all of this is still in flux, being 3+ months out.

Let me now what she thinks when you have a chance.

Regards, Joe

• Alltinget's Profile Photo

by Alltinget Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Hi, you can find a lot of tips on our blog easyadventures.se about Stockholm. But here I want to give you som tips about rest of the way.
    Day 29 Söderkoping you should visit the famous icecream restaurant Smultronstället smultronstallet.se/page.asp?...
    Day 31You should visit Kivik musteri http://www.kiviksmusteri.se/ where day make cider. In Ystad if you heve one day you could stay a little bit more expensive check in this place http://www.ysb.se/en/
    On your way to Ystad there is a you should visit some ot the artists places and Ale stenar en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ale%27...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Sweden Travel Answer Locations