Travel Answers
Svalbard

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

Popular Svalbard Travel Answer Locations

• Is there any traveler in Longyearbyen 05-08 of July 2014 - looking for trip company

Svalbard Jun 29, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Do you plan any trips at that days on your own? Like hiking, kayaking etc.
      I look for a privat trip I could join to. I'm a positive individual tough man, so you won't have any problem with me. I'm not a moody person.
      You can contact me via e-mail: matthzet@gmail.com

I hope someone reads these posts :-)

1 Answer Jun 29, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    • seeking for a job

Svalbard Feb 15, 2014 at 2:55 AM

is that easy to find a job(better full time job:) in Longyearbyen?i am a girl.i suppose to stay there for one year.can i get a job of coffee shops or restaurant/hotel?

4 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM
    • mingul's Profile Photo

Reccomandations for 2 days in February.

Svalbard Jan 9, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Hello, last night over a bottle of wine we simply had the crazy idea of instantly booking a 2 day trip to Svalbard as we had a trip planned to Norway for the month of February. The offers by SAS were an absolute stunner as we managed to find a flight from Oslo with SAS for less than 80 EUR.

Is there any activity there during winter time? Any recommendations of things to do?
      A lot of the tips I have seen about Svalbard are given for trips in the warmer months of the year, however we are excited to experience very little light (as I understood - in February the little amount of light will be of dark blueish color)

Last but not least, are Northern Lights common in February up there? Or are we too far away?

Kindest regards and have a GREAT NEW YEAR 2014,
      Vlad

7 Answers Jan 9, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    • RahulPasarkar's Profile Photo

Must See Place in Svalbard

Spitsbergen Dec 28, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Why anyone should visit Svalbard? What is the speciality of Svalbard?

6 Answers Dec 30, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    • buccarasta's Profile Photo

Svalbard in Feb 2014

Svalbard Jun 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM

My daughter and I are coming to Svalbard in Feb 2014 for a week. Looking for some basic accommodation. Happy to pay. Any assistance gratefully appreciated

5 Answers Dec 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    • JasonScot's Profile Photo

Student visiting March 2015. Pricing of Travel and Accomodation/Avaliable sightseeing oppertunities?

Svalbard Apr 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Hey. I am a student who lives in Glasgow in Scotland, and would be very much interested in viewing the March 2015 Solar eclipse for Svalbard, the only place the eclipse is visable as a full solar eclipse.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how expensive travel and accomodation might be (bearing in mind, I'll be going for the cheapest possible)?

Also (knowing very little about this myself) would there be any chance of viewing other amazing sights while visiting, such as wildlife or northern lights? Sorry if I come off as foolish.

1 Answer Apr 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM
    • Agnes_psychologist's Profile Photo

Looking for transport to Hornsund!

Svalbard Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hello! I am going to visit Polish Scientific Polar Station on the Hornsund fiord. I am looking desperately for transport from Longyearbyen to the Station. I am considering stay on the end of March/beginning of April. Does anybody konow whether in that time any transport to station is possible, and if so how much will it cost? Mabey there are local transport companies/travel agencies? I will be rally grateful for any help or tips!

• LouT66's Profile Photo

Trips & Boots

Spitsbergen Dec 31, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Hi, guys
      I'll be in Svalbard in feb
      Do I need a Sorel snowboots or a winter trecking boots are ok?
      Trip: Barentsburg or Pyramiden?
      Any mine or ice cave to visit?
      Good change to watch Northern Lights?
      Thank's a lot...! :D

1 Answer Aug 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    • NY Alesund

Ny-Ålesund Dec 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I understand that there is a town of Alesund. Is this town close to NY Alesund?

3 Answers Mar 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    • Welly's or Walking

Svalbard Jul 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Off on a Hurtigruten cruise this weekend to Svalbard on the MS Fram, 29 July.
      Packing space is limited due to our domestic travel, so should we take rubber boots (wellingtons) or water-proof walking boots?

1 Answer Aug 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM
    • Svalvard trip Jan. 2012

Svalbard Jun 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Me and my husband are planning our anniversary trip in Spitsbergen. We're from Mexico and want this to be the trip of a lifetime.

We'd like to know what is the best travel agency in Spitsbergen, one that can really give us out of this world activities that can make our trip memorable.

We want to experience the real Spitsbergen, get as many activities and adventures as we can.

Any suggestions on who to contact?? Also, any suggestions on things we MUST do while we're there?

We've looked into activities and dont know how to pick the best ones! We've both tried snowmobiling and dog sledding in Canada (Yukon Territory), so that would not be something new. However, I've read about snowmobile trips that take you out of town, but there are so many to choose from! Which area would be the best to visit?

And a very important question....how many nights would you recommend for us there?? We're planning to go to Norway first and then Spitsbergen.

We are so excited about this trip, but so nervous of missing out on special activities there.

Overall, we just want this trip to be as magical as possible!

I'd love all the help we could get.

3 Answers Feb 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    • gillymacc's Profile Photo

mobility impaired and getting around

Longyearbyen May 22, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Can you get from where the cruise ships let you off to the centre of Longyearbyen by bus or taxi? Its too far for me to walk, although I can walk around the town perfectly well (Provided I have the odd stop for coffee!)

And equally important, can we get a taxi/bus back???

We will be there 23rd June this year.

Thanks for any help and hints.

3 Answers Aug 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    • When is the best time to visit Svalbard

Svalbard May 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Ok, summer and winter are both interesting to visit Svalbard, from what I have read so far.
      Now, I like taking photos, and do some excursions to see different things, so I think for me it's better to go when there is at least some light.
      Let's say I want to go on excursions to:
      - see polar bears
      - see the large ice glaciers in the sea
      - dog sledding
      - take some nice pictures in good light conditions (so nice weather :-)
      Maybe I'm just looking to really 'see' Svalbard at it's best.
      When do I go ?

Thanks !

4 Answers May 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    • VISITORS WITH DISABILITY

Ny-Ålesund Jan 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I use elbow crutches but can walk only a short distance. I will be visiting N.Y.Alesund via a cruise 7/11. Is it possible for me to use either my small electric scooter or a wheelchair to follow the designated route around the town please?
      Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks.

1 Answer Jan 8, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    • KimKersten's Profile Photo

northern lights

Svalbard Dec 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM

hello i am going to visit Longyearbyen for a week in febr and i would love to see the northern lights, who can help me with info about moon phases, all info is welcome also about astronomy, thank you :)

5 Answers Aug 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    • seaouk's Profile Photo

A week in Svalbard

Svalbard Aug 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Hi
      I know there is a lot of information on activities on this forum, but my fear is that with a week to spend there (Late September) we will have a lot of down time. Activities I have selected are ATV Safari to either Adventdalen or Bjørndalen, Rubber Boat trip to Fuglefjella and Hiorthamn, Glacier Hike (Larsbreen glacier), Kayaking to Adventfjord and dinning in the wilds. Now as I understand it there is very little in the town itself (longyearbyen), and with most activities I have chosen being most half or just over half days, is there much to do with the other half of the day. No doubt I will be fairly warn out after such activities as Kayaking but I still don’t want to waste what time I have.
      Things I have found suggested by people are the museum and Svalbard Gallery.
      So my questions are:
      1. from the sounds of the activities I have listed would I be doubling up on anything (there are a lot of similar things about)
      2. What is there to do other than the activities
      3. As only half the week is full can I book things when I arrive to fill the time that will be different from what I already have?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as its getting near and im worried about missing out as this is somewhere I will probably only get to visit once.

Thanks in advance!

20 Answers Dec 11, 2010 at 3:22 AM
    • svalbard transportation

Svalbard May 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Is it possible to travel to Svalbard by train? I will be in Flekkefjord and am interested in traveling north...Not necessarily Svalbard, but I would like to travel North, this time...

2 Answers May 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    • Best tour/cruise companies?

Svalbard Feb 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM

My husband and I would like to travel to Svalbard in August. We would like to cruise in order to see polar bears and other wildlife. We have traveled with Lindblad before and had a fantastic experience. They have tours to Svalbard but I'd like to learn about other good companies as well. Can anyone recommend a few tour companies that are reputable and experienced in wildlife/ecotourism?

3 Answers Mar 24, 2010 at 12:54 AM
    • TomFoolery's Profile Photo

Svalbard Tours

Svalbard Jan 18, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Hi,

I'm going to be in Svalbard just after Easter, which I gather is peak tourist season up there. Flights and hotel are booked :)

However...will I need to book tours (such as a snowmobile trip to Barentsburg) in advance, or will I be able to sort all this out on arrival? I've had conflicting advice here.

Also - can anyone recommend any tour companies? Seems to be a huge amount to choose from.

2 Answers Jan 22, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    • glenn57's Profile Photo

Two questions

Svalbard Jan 12, 2010 at 5:06 AM

I have two questions :

(1) what is the cheapest way to fly to Svalbard ? Is SAS the only airline that flies there ?

(2) what are the chances of seeing a polar bear there in July ? Have they migrated to some hard-to-reach place by then, or is it easy to go on a tour that will assure me of seeing some ?

7 Answers Jan 22, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    • when to go - questions on ice and boat trips

Longyearbyen Nov 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Longyearbyen this summer, either in the beginning of June, towards the end of June or the beginning of July. Which timing would be best, if my main interest is to see the great walls of ice from the sea, and glaciers?

Could there be a risk, at any time during the summer season, that either the boat routes are not open or that there are not enought people for the cruise to take off? Another question: I'm only there for a few days, so I could just get on a day-cruise to see anything. Which cruise would you recommend as the most impressive one with views on ice? The names of different glaciers don't say too much to me at the tourism web site, so I'm puzzled.

Thanks in advance for hints!

4 Answers Dec 19, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    • two days in Svalvard

Svalbard Aug 7, 2009 at 7:28 AM

I, we will stay in Svalvard 21th and 22th of august, what one day tour recomended to us??

2 Answers Aug 17, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    • Svalbard in the beginning of August

Svalbard Jun 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Hej alla på Svalbard!

I'm seriously thinking ;-) about visiting Svalbard for few days in the beginning of August.

It's quite easy to get in (for me, from Stockholm), and as I see there is even a choice of mid-expensive hostels present (Guesthouse 102 & Spitsbergen Guesthouse) - about 330 NOK/night.

However, what disturbs me most is that almost all kind of organized activities present at official tourist website www.svalbard.net are outrageously and furiously expensive, from 500NOK for few hours hike to 1500 NOK for a boat trip around the corner.

From other point of view, it would be stupid to come so far away to such exotic nature and spend all the time inside of a village, which is not so different (as I heard) from other Norwegian villages.

So, here comes THE QUESTION:
      is it possible to do some nice day-trips around Longyearbyen by yourself, without tourist agency???

I bought a book about Svalbard which I thought should help me - "SPITSBERGEN: Svalbard, Franz Josef Land, Jan Mayen (Bradt Travel Guide Spitsbergen)"
      It's a nice book with very thick chapters about history of Svalbard, about nature in general, about other places of archipelago which are almost impossible to reach, but when it comes to explaining immediate surrounding and suggesting some trekking routes - absolutely nothing inside!
      No wonder, because the book is written by an owner of a travel agency, and everywhere you just between the lines - pay money to agencies, don't go alone.
      Even very thin section about Svalbard in LonelyPlanet Norway was more useful: they recommended to walk to Mine #3 on Burma rd., Platåberget, Nordenskiöldsfjellet, Longyearbreen and so on.

I know of cause about polar bears danger, but still: renting a gun for protection is only about 100kr, which is much cheaper than hiking offers from agencies.

Another things which makes me crazy about the agencies - in description of many activities it's written: "do not require any physical demand, totally suitable for everyone" - which often means: walk for 45 minutes to a nearest hill, two hours of stories from a guide and walk back.
      I'm not eager to pay 500 NOK for this kind of "arctic experience". But I can understand - Svalbard is such an expensive place, so only rich pensioners can afford to come, and then activities needs to be suited for their abilities.

I pre-selected some more-or-less realistic activities for myself:
      1) Boat trip to Barentsburg and the Esmark glacier, 1400 NOK
      spitsbergentravel.no/eng/sho...

2) Sarkofagen - Hiking trip in glacier landscape, 590 NOK
      wildlife.no/en/summer_activi...

3) Hiortfjellet - an arctic challenge, 1100 NOK

4) Kayak tour on Adventfjorden, 890 NOK

Are they nice? Maybe they are, but it's very expensive for me to buy all of them.
      Which one is recommended to skip and go around on my own?

Another question: my flight back to Oslo is going to depart at 04:50 in the morning. How to get to the airport at this time? Or can I come to the airport about midnight, and stay there until departure? Is the airport open in the night?

Thanks for reading this long request.
      I would be very grateful for any advises!

Sincerely, Andriy
      PS: sorry for being so sceptical about tourist agencies...

2 Answers Jul 1, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    • ltly's Profile Photo

I need all the information I can get on Svalbard

Svalbard Apr 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at coming to Svalbard (Longyearbyen) for about two weeks. What I would like to know is how I can rent the small colorful terraced cabins I see pictures of (small houses clustered together). Also, I am looking to moving there permanently. I've read so many different things and would just like to get to know some of the local residents, start making friends. Even if you lived there or vacation there, any info would be good to know.

So far, I have gathered:

1. It's expensive

2. And you cannot live there in old age, you would have to move off the island (is this true?)

3. Employment issues (can I move there and find a job? What is my job is writing?) I read that you would have to be full time employed.

4. How hard is it to open up your own business there? And how much am I looking at roughly for rent.

5. I have been trying to find the Longyearbyen Chamber of Commerce (you know so I can find out demographics such as the different types of business and how many there are. Example: bar, laundromat, grocery stores, post office

6. Vehicles (so far, I've seen few from Google Earth pictures) and seen most of snow mobiles.

7. Most importantly, is there internet and cable? Which company provides this service. What kind of cable service - digital?

8. Are you allow to buy land if you live there and how hard would it be to buy a house or even rent one? If yes on buying land, what are the prices I'm looking at.

9. Emergency medical services such as hospitals?

10. There is no crime rate.

11. Clothing stores or department stores (I have read that Longyearbyen has one).

12. Is there any days when it will be warm enough for just jeans and a tee shirt?

***Thank you so much for everyone's help. It is expensive to go there, so I want to make sure I have researched everything before I do. I've ran across so many people wanting to move there. I know some of my questions are very ignorant, but that's why I'm posting, so I can understand what living there will be like.

5 Answers Jul 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    • mariaep's Profile Photo

Cheap Svalbard

Spitsbergen Mar 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM

Hi!, we are planning to go to Svaldbard in middle april, 12 nice people searching for adventure but with little resources, we have looking up almost all activities agencies and they are really really expensive. Have somebody some advices how we can make a "cheap" Svalbard tour??,

2 Answers Mar 30, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    • Cruises in Svalbard

Svalbard Jan 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I am looking for experiences with people cruising around Svalbard on the 9-day Polar Star Cruise or the 5-day Nordstjernen cruise. Please tell me if this was worthwhile and if there were kids on the ships. This is in the August timeframe. Thank you.

1 Answer Feb 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    • bieszczad's Profile Photo

information re.: Spitsbergen travel tips

Spitsbergen Dec 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM

Hi all,

I am extremly exited by Spitsbergen and would love to go there. I have lots of experiences traveling the world but none in that extream environment.
      I am seeking some info re best time to go, what to take, here to sleep, what activities e.t.c.

Thank you

Tomek

2 Answers Feb 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    • Jesperp's Profile Photo

The reply to the question "Svalbard Arctic Sport/Skandinavisk Høyfjellsutstyr"

Svalbard Mar 30, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I cannot find the website of Svalbard Arctic Sport/Skandinavisk Høyfjellsutstyr. .
      Svalbard Arctic Sport/Skandinavisk Høyfjellsutstyr lies in Longyearbyen (city centre) according to this page Svalbard Shopping Tips by Saagar

Svalbard Arctic Sport/Skandinavisk Høyfjellsutstyr lies in the rectangle on the right side of the Longyear Elva (river) at this map svalbardbutikken.no/img/long...
      Regards Jesper

2 Answers May 27, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    • Svalbard in December

Svalbard Mar 22, 2008 at 11:23 PM

I am currently planning a short visit to Svalbard in December. I understand that it is the dark period but may I know if there are any activities that can still be done then? Thank you!

1 Answer May 29, 2008 at 1:39 AM
    • Information on clothings to be brought to Longyearbyen

Svalbard Mar 2, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Hi

Many thanks for the nice website and the details therein. I will be comming to Longyearbyen in May I wish to know as to what are the clothes that will be required to be brought there to protect myself from the severe cold there and whether these are available on rent as I am from a place where I will never require this once I leave Svalbard. Please inform I will be thankful.
      Thanks
      Mr. Vijay

1 Answer Mar 16, 2008 at 3:24 AM