Svalbard Travel Answers

change location

svalbard transportation

by hapta Online Now May 2, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Is it possible to travel to Svalbard by train? I will be in Flekkefjord and am interested in traveling north...Not necessarily Svalbard, but I would like to travel North, this time...

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: svalbard transportation

by Odinnthor Online Now May 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM

It will be pretty difficult to travel by train to Svalbard. It is an island several hundred miles north of the northern part of Norway.

I believe that a train can be had from Oslo as far north as Bodo. Perhaps some locals can be more specific.

Here is a POV look at the ride from Bergen to Oslo. Click on the blue links on the left, put on full screen and dream.....d:o)

www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/prosjekt...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Crazywoman's Profile Photo

Re: svalbard transportation

by Crazywoman Online Now May 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Odinnthor is right, the northernmost trainstation if you travel in Norway is Bodø. If you want to go further north on the ground there are buses. You could check my Norway transportation tips on both trains and buses in Norway.

There is also the alternative of flying, this is much faster because of the long distances. www.norwegian.no or www.sas.no would be the best choices.

Another alternative is by boat. www.hurtigruten.com goes along the Norwegian coast from Bergen to Kirkenes and back again.

You could also combine any of these means of transportation.

If you travel to the north you should at least go so far that you get to see the midnight sun. How far you have to travel to see it depends on when you do your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Svalbard Travel Answer Locations