Svalbard Travel Answers

change location

Cruises in Svalbard

by mbennet48 Online Now Jan 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I am looking for experiences with people cruising around Svalbard on the 9-day Polar Star Cruise or the 5-day Nordstjernen cruise. Please tell me if this was worthwhile and if there were kids on the ships. This is in the August timeframe. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Saagar's Profile Photo

Re: Cruises in Svalbard

by Saagar Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I did not do these cruises myself, but I checked with somebody who has done them. Those ships are not normal cruise ships, but quite utilitarian boats, old passenger boat( Nordstjernen),very small cabins, no luxury. If the kids do not enjoy being on board a ship for so many days postpone your trip till they are old enough. If they are of an age they can adhere to instructions (on and off the ship/zodiac, stay away from the ice edge etc), or small and lighter to hold and control (diaper age kids) they should be ok. Norwegian kids are generally exposed to more dangerous outdoor situations than American and continental European children; a bit rough upbringing some would say, so do not expect the type of care and consideration warning against dangers that you will find in the US. But crew will handle kids very well. One of my informants told me there were kids on the Nordsterjerne cruise she was on. I would be surprised if there are no children aboard on your chosen cruise, but I suggest you pose your question to the handling company on Svalbard (Spitsbergen Travel, Svalbard Reiseliv or the others), or directly to the ships. See my Svalbard pages for some ideas and references.
    All the best and Happy Journey!
    Olav

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Svalbard Travel Answer Locations