Svalbard Travel Answers

change location
NilsTheFreelancer's Profile Photo

Longyearbyen camping site near airport

by NilsTheFreelancer Online Now Nov 27, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Hi, folks!

I would like to know about atmosphere in this camping site, for example, is not the proximity of airport too disturbing when aircrafts arrive or depart and have any bears spotted nearby in recent times? Actually any impressions and observations about life there will be gladly read by me. :)

I know official Longyearbyen camping site - it's great with plenty of useful information but I would like to know visitor experience, as well.

I hope to spend 4-5 days next July in Longyearbyen (using Norwegian airline - any experience, are this company's aircrafts good?), if all will go accordingly.

P.S. How far one can go out of Longyearbyen without a rifle, I mean, even 100 - 500 meters outside town borders it is mandatory to have someone with a rifle? And how often bear have been spotted in the town or nearby? Actually, I love to walk around, so I would like to avoid any bear being too close. :)

Thank you very much for any good responses and have a nice "day". :)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Saagar's Profile Photo

Re: Longyearbyen camping site near airport

by Saagar Online Now Dec 13, 2007 at 1:17 PM

The camp site is an open area on the tundra just outside the airport perimeter. the few flights who land here normally arrive/depart in the night, but the sun will be up in July, and so will people, so who cares in the summer?
    Camp site dwellers will be alerted if there is a polar bear approaching, this is precisely the good reason for the proximity to the airport - good guarding watch!
    The regulations say that outside the settlement you should have your rifle with you. I noticed people walking their prams and dogs along the perimeter roads of Longyearbyen (like up to Sverdrupbyen and past the coal exchange masts towards the airport)nearly always carried rifles. On the other hand, perimeter roads up to Nybyen and Huset seem fine without. One way to avoid carrying a rifle is to rent a car and drive around the roads, stop here and there and never venture far from the car when parked. The best way is neverheless to join a group or hire a guide from a company, so that security as well as local knowledge is taken care of.
    Off and on Norwegian advertises they will fly to Svalbard; if the will do so in July I do not know. However, it is a good company with new B737 aircraft.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Svalbard Travel Answer Locations