Svalbard Travel Answers

change location
knilaus's Profile Photo

Hiking advice for Svalbard

by knilaus Online Now Dec 9, 2004 at 3:01 PM

I will be going to Svalbard for the second time from August 21st - 30th 2005. My last trip up there was in July, 2004. I camped in a tent at Longyearbyen Camping and went on guided tours to Foxfonna and went with a party for three days to stay in a camp at Ymerbukta. With this being my second trip I am considering somewhat more ambitious endeavours such as going hiking without the assistance of a guide. I am currently looking for advice and people, who might like to join me for a relatively undemanding outing of three - four days' duration starting out from Longyearbyen. One trip I'm considering would be to go from Longyearbyen to Barentsburg and return by boat. Can anyone recommend this trip for a relative novice? I have the maps from NPI, GPS and am a subscriber to Svalbardposten. I am skilled with a hunting rifle. I have most of the major equipment that I think I would need (i.e. wind-proof tunnel tent, -10C sleeping bag, good 75L backpak, decent footwear, warm clothing), which has been proven already under arctic conditions. I know about most of the safety precautions regarding wildlife and glaciers. I would be interested in a hiking trail that could be traversed in about four days under good conditions and not requiring any glacial walking or climbing with good possibilities for setting up a tent and a low chance of polar bear encounters. Can anyone in here recommend a particular route? I will not be going on my own under any circumstance so you don't need to point out that I should not be going out alone.

Quote & Answer
0 Answers
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Svalbard Travel Answer Locations