Suva Travel Answers

change location

Should I bring my bike? raincoats?

by Summerpedals Online Now Jan 12, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Hello! I will soon be living in Suva for two or three years, even though I have never been to Fiji before. But just now - Yikes! - I read a reply to a question posted in 2006 which states that the roads have no shoulders whatsoever. Will I be able to use my bike if I bring it? It sounds like I will need to invest in some rain gear, though. The amount of rain sounds daunting! If you have any advice for me, I'd love to hear from you. Kind Regards.

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Should I bring my bike? raincoats?

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM

First, you should not worry about biking. Not necessaily what you are used to, but not a problem. Second, yes raincoats are good but need to be lightweight. Far different from the north of the U.S. Warm rain, not cold.

Also must tell you that Suva of today is not the Suva I knew back awhile. You need to be aware and have your wits about you, and be careful after dark. This is not meant to scare you, but simple precautions will go a long way.

Have you considered talking to some expats in Fiji? Nothing like talking to pwople that have already done what you are about to do. Here are some examples.

board.classifieds1000.com/Fi...

expatriatepay.blogspot.com/2...

board.classifieds1000.com/Fi...

expatwomen.com/countries/exp...

escapeartist.com/efam6/livin...

britishexpat.com/expatforum/...

Hope this helps you. You can also type in Fiji in the Travel Forum box up on the left, and there are many questions answered by me, although mostly about tourism. Good luck......d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 13, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Odinnthor put it cautiously. The truth is that Suva is the worst place in Fiji filled with criminals why try to rob even the sunglasses in your hair. During a Pacific cruise I thought it was the dirthole of the Pacific. Take all safety measures possible, and follow Odinnthor's advice.

I hope you have the chance to stay somewhere out of Suva. The further away, the better and nicer and safer and even pleasant.

You need, as Eric suggested, a lightweight raincoat, and an umbrella would also help. I have been on Fiji twice. Once in March the rain was warm, once in June it was coolish, and I wore long pants and a cardigan under my rain jacket. But sure, you would not need an anorak!

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Thanks Sissi! Yeah, fairly cautious is correct. She is considering a job offer in Suva. I sent her an E-Mail with some additional warnings. Suva is not what it used to be, that is for sure.

I also added a lot of other stuff about Fiji, to balance out the somwewhat bad news......

Hopefully she will get some encouraging information on places to stay and such, from the expats. She is bringing a bike so, likely will need to stay close to the job........

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I hope you have recommended to secure the bike to a road sign or tree with a chain and triple-lock it - or better take it into the office ;-)))

It is a real shame what they have made of Suva.

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Eh, no I did not, - so I am glad you brought it up. Good advise, - take it into the office or where ever you work and live.

Yes it is a shame. It used to be really a nice tropical haven, but I am going back 40 years since my first time there. To show you how long ago, on the same trip, on the Queen Frederica, we also made a stop in Tonga. The Queen was the very first cruise ship ever, to stop in Tonga.

"Civilization" has not been kind to many of the Pacific Islands and their indigenous people. Google the island of Nauru, and see what has happened to them.......

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Yes, Nauru is pure madness. (Germany should have kept it ;-))))

In Fiji, it is surely not only the so-called civilisation but also the culture of coups and unrest, the latest one by Bainimarama. He has finally turned the nation back into a banana republic - Bananarama...

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM

True that....!

• Re: Should I bring my bike? raincoats?

by Maddic3 Online Now May 1, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Are you sure you arn't being a little dramatic.. Everywhere you go in the world will have pick-pockets, theives and criminals! You need to be careful wherever you go.. no need to scare someone into thinking there wil be a criminal hiding at every corner! It seems the only reason you are picking on Suva is because the majority of it is tropical island so when you go to the city it is completely different but of course there is going to be more danger in the city as there is more people. It's the same as Melbourne where I am from. A person got stabbed 2 years ago near a nightclub in my area and this is a developed country. If you are so worried about Suva you should probably leave out most countries. Try Mexico city or Guatemala city where I went last year..seems you would have a heart attack.

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 1, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Haha!

A good attempt to tell us that Suva is not more dangerous than Melbourne.

Believe me, I have been in Melbourne many times, and it is a much safer city than Suva. I have also been in Mexico - but would surely not go to Ciudad Juarez. I cannot see anything positive in a place like Suva where criminals walk around at daytime, rip sunglasses off tourists' head when they have left their valuables at the hotel or ship or wherever. Nothing happened to me personally. But we were warned by various locals about where not to go to, to avoid the streets which lead from the harbour to the market, etc. They apologised for having so many criminals. (Which BTW also reflects the difference of a poor country like Fiji and a prosperous place like Melbourne.)

You are right in one thing: that you have to be cautious everywhere in the world.

If you are at the wrong place in the supposedly safest country of the world at the wrong time you will make a worse experience than in the worst dirthole of the world if you happen to go to the right places and the scumbags take a break.

by Odinnthor Online Now May 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM

No worries Sissi, this guy comes in as a one timer and shouts something tht we might expect of thorn Tree, but not here on VT. We are serious about our attempts to give accurate opinions about global situations, and as both of us have seen a lot of changes in Fiji over the years, we know a bit about what goes on there.

The quote regarding "am man got stabbed 2 years ago near me..." What? Two years ago? Sounds positively serene, on a global scale.

There is not even any indication that this poster has ever been there. He is comparing apples and oranges, - having seen neither the apples or the oranges.

by Maddic3 Online Now May 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

i wasnt saying suva is safer than melbourne i was just saying there is criminals everywhere and to say you've been to melbourne a couple of times is a bit different to actually living here. Melbourne is an awesome city but most people know (girls mostly) like any city don't go out a night by yourself. Ok so you want something more recent? end of last year there were 2 drive-by shootings in a popular cafe on lygon street over drugs and then another one in yarraville man was out the front of his house and a car drove by and shot him. I know i'd rather have my sunglasses stolen :p. Statistics in suva show that there is hardly any murders mostly just robberies because they are poor so all they really want is money not to hurt you. ps.. i'm a girl not a boy. And I have been to fiji along with 15 other countries in the world and i'm only 20 so i do have a bit of expereince. anyways it was just my opinion freedom of speech people!

by Maddic3 Online Now May 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM

ps. i wasnt trying to have a go at you and sorry if i sounded rude i was merely saying that you shouldnt scare people so much into not going somewhere because you heard of this danger or so on.. because then they would miss out of the beauty themselves!

by Odinnthor Online Now May 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM

No worries Maddi......d:o)

Welcome to VT.

Good to know a little about you. You are basiclly right. We all have to be vigil no matter where we go. Apologies if I offended you. You have every right to voice your opinion as we all do.

by Maddic3 Online Now May 3, 2011 at 1:55 AM

thanx! and btw i am very impressed by your travels!

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 3, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Maddic, you have the right of free speech, like all others - including Odinnthor and myself who have been in Fiji several times. I have seen daytime robberies with my own eyes, not just heard about them, spoke to traumatised people, etc.

There are drug-related drive-by shootings in nearly every biggish city in the world, also here in peaceful New Zealand, and I do not go out alone at night here either. The difference to Suva is that I do not go out there alone at daytime either - unlike any other place in Fiji.

Good that we all agree that we should be vigilant wherever we are without getting hysteric.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines