Suriname Travel Answers

change location
shyleshno1's Profile Photo

How is the Signal for the Cellphones out there ?

by shyleshno1 Online Now Jul 31, 2006 at 8:22 AM

I have a Verizon Wireless Service at the moment, and i plan on switching to GSM when am ready to travel in Suriname(Using a Rented International GSM Phone from Verizon), i just wanted to know how strong is the signals?

I am on a CDMA Network and which is soppose to the best HERE in the US only, but i am not sure how well GSM is in Suriname (GSM rules the world and also is being used in Suriname)

Also please let me know you're experience with the phone service out there.. greatly appreciated..thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • nhoolb's Profile Photo

RE: How is the Signal for the Cellphones out there ?

by nhoolb Online Now Aug 3, 2006 at 8:33 AM

Sounds good but make sure your GSM mobile is tri-band. The US GSM system uses different frequency bands than Surinam.
    Consider bying a GSM tri-band phone, (here from 60 Euros) have it SIM-unlocked (for 10 Euros), and then buy a local SIM card. Maybe in Surinam, locally there, to buy and unlock because I don't know if you have these kind of shops there in the USA. Over here in Europe it's quite simple to have it SIM-unlocked. And, contrary to what sellers say, it's legal. (Court cases here in the Netherlands).
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Suriname Travel Answer Locations