Surfers Paradise Travel Answers

change location
yvr's Profile Photo

Older Generation

by yvr Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I am thinking about spending 2days 3nights in mid June 2008 in the Surfers Paradise area. I am retired but am now having second thoughts about staying due to the teenagers, families with young children and the "party mood" that seems to surround the area. Are there any places in the area that would be more for older, or retired adults rather than younger? The thought of the ocean, and swimming in the ocean is the reason I would be going to the area.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • aYankinSyd's Profile Photo

Re: Older Generation

by aYankinSyd Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 2:01 PM

I am not in the retired age group, but when I went to Surfers I had the same concern as you.

So eventually we spent time one beach/area south called Broadbeach - it was lovely there, and the nightlife was definitely more about nice food and cocktails. It's just down the road from Surfers.

What about skipping the Gold Coast and heading north to the Sunshine Coast? Noosa is grrrrrrrreat!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 2:36 PM

What about thinking Noosa, Caloundra or other areas on the Sunshine Coast. Its quietor, and in many peoples minds nicer as well.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM

We live in Melbourne, Australia. The last time we were in S/P I hated the place. Its just a high rise city strung along the beach with hotels and appartments populated by plastic and silicon people. If I never see S/P again that's good enough for me. S/P is currently on teenage cyclone warning as the "schoolies" from all over Oz head there at the end of the year. Brawls, drugs, booze, teenagers - get the message.

However (and as others have said) Sunshine Coast and more particularly Noosa is great. BTW I'm in the "older generation" category too - :)

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 8:35 PM

I do appreciate all your answers to my post. Since I am not going until June 2008, I have time to research other destinations. I shall certainly consider Noosa as an alternative. Thanks again.

• stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 8:45 PM

just as an afterthought

the Big Aussie VT Meet is on in Darwin 23/5 - 25/5 how about considering joining us???

here is the link

meetings.virtualtourist.com/...

just a thought :)

• wwroam's Profile Photo

by wwroam Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 9:56 PM

I'd steer well clear of Noosa , it's full of pretentious ***s( But then i'm a Brisbane Southsider). Surfers is only a small part of the gold Coast. It starts to improve from Broadbeach south, but reaches its best from Burleigh Heads to the border.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Nov 13, 2007 at 5:33 AM

Would love to join the VT meeting in Darwin, however, I will not be leaving Vancouver until June 2, but thanks for the invitation.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo

by adelaidean Online Now Nov 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM

What a pity you cant make Darwin!
    I do agree with the others..go for the sunshine coast...such anice place...and so much quieter than surfers...Have fun!

• aussirose's Profile Photo

by aussirose Online Now Nov 15, 2007 at 4:14 AM

I have an idea. The link below will take you to a resort right on the beach front, away from the hustle and bustle of the Gold Coast, but close enough to be able to catch a bus in for a day trip. This destination is south of the border past Tweed Heads and Kingscliff along the coast road to a place called Cabarita. Well known for surfing, fishing and beach activities...with a local pub almost on the beach...and btw a beach to die for! and far enough away to enjoy quiet morning or evening strolls along a huge stretch of white sand. ...Have I tempted you?....please click below :o) Cheers, Ann.

http://www.diamondbeachresortnsw.com/

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Nov 15, 2007 at 6:13 AM

Will take a look at all the great suggestions given to me. I really appreciate it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines