Surfers Paradise Travel Answers

change location

Car Hire and Weather

by Kazzykins Online Now May 13, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Hi, my husband, 2 teenagers and I are travelling to Brisbane for 6 days, staying in Surfers Paradise (Crowne Plaza). We were thinking of hiring a car from the aiport to see the sights of the area. Is hiring from the airport the best way or is their a cheaper alternative or more choice in Surfers. Also we will be getting to the Gold Coast the last week of August, what will the weather be like so I know what to pack? Thanks for your help. Kaz, Manchester UK

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ozziethrunthru's Profile Photo

Re: Car Hire and Weather

by ozziethrunthru Online Now May 14, 2007 at 1:06 AM

Kaz, it's very hard to predict our weather these days. We have not really had any cold winters for some time. June/July are normally our coldest months with August still "cool" at times but not "cold". We often get bad westerly winds in August which can be quite uncomfortable and, at times, cold, but, once again, we haven't had much of these for the past few years. I guess you would look at August over here in Oz like your summer in UK. With our sun always beaming down it will probably be warm in the open but cool at times in the shade. That's the best I can offer and I know you and your family will love it :) Vicki

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Car Hire and Weather

by JuneTL Online Now May 14, 2007 at 3:49 AM

hi kaz,
    re: hiring car from brisbane airport....
    we've found that searching on the net for car hire places near brisbane airport will get you a cheaper rental rate than hiring a car from the airport car hire places. we were told that this is cos those at the airport have to pay a premium to be at the airport.
    we usually book with one of these companies. we get through customs etc and collect our bags. we call the car rental people(usually on a free call number or at worst a local call of A$0.50). they come and pick us up within 5 minutes and take us to their depot which is nearby. we do the paperwork and then we're off!! drop off is in reverse with us being dropped back to the airport.
    do a search on the australian google site www.google.com.au for car rentals from brisbane airport and make your choice from there.
    also, check with your travel insurer about the collision damage waiver clause...ie. you can pay to have your excess reduced if you have an accident(down from say A$1500 to A$400(rough figures here)) for an extra daily cost. your travel insurance might cover this for you....on page 28 section d part iv...lol
    happy travels.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Re: Car Hire and Weather

by Mikebb Online Now May 14, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Hi Weather will be sunny, low 20C , sometimes a little lower. On the warmer days some people may be surfing without wet suits. Most Aussies will find it a little cool in the water, however coming from a cooler climate you most likely will find it OK.
    Iassume you are flying in from the UK, arriving Brisbane what time oof day. Surfers Paradise is a one to 1.5 hour drive from the airport, if arriving during the night I doubt you would want to drive to Surfers. An easy drive daytime, traffic during peak hours. There is a good govt bus service running up and down the Gold Coast/ Surfers Paradise coast, gets you to the Theme Parks etc. Avis, Budgets Hertz etc charge the same whether Brisbane or Gold Coast hire, you can hire cheap cars , say 5 or more years old from small coys around the Gold Coast, much cheaper, but take collision insurance.
    Recommend you page through VT pages on Surfers Paradise and Gold Coast, Transport Tips.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines