Sundsvall Travel Answers

change location

Easter in Sundsvall

by mimmad Online Now Mar 20, 2006 at 3:19 PM

Will there be anything open on Easter or Easter weekend in Sundsvall? I am thinking of coming up from Stockholm on the 15th or 16th. What is the best way to find a bed and breakfast to stay at? Any recommendations?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Easter in Sundsvall

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 21, 2006 at 7:40 AM

Hm...Easter Friday and Sunday are quite closed affairs in small town Sweden. The Saturday is better. Although tourist sites should be open if they are big enough to be "all year round" ones.

But why Sundsvall? I mean, it's perfectly OK, just curious as it wouldn't be my main recommendation for someone who wanted a break from Stockholm to go north. I would go to a fell station somewhere in the highlands. Definately open and definately full of nice Easter food and activities of all kind.

There are hostels in and around Sundsvall - some with single rooms...www.stfturist.se and www.svif.se

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Easter in Sundsvall

by mimmad Online Now Mar 21, 2006 at 10:07 AM

Tack! Tell me more about what a fell station is and how to make arrangements. Sounds interesting. I want to go to Sundsvall because that is where my great grandmother grew up before she came to the US. Would you recommend just one day in Sundsvall? Do you know if trains would run on Easter Sunday?

Tack

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Easter in Sundsvall

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 22, 2006 at 7:04 AM

I see :) Well, if you need to explore Sundsvall, by all means stay a couple of days to get a feel for it. It has a joint university with Östersund so there is a certain student atmosphere in bars and so on. Have you checked the tourist site?: http://www.sundsvallturism.com/ It should give you an idea of opening hours at sights as well as a hotel booking facility.

Trains run every day, the question is how frequent. Have a look at www.sj.se which should have developed its English search facility if you don't read Swedish.

What you could do is to combine it with somewhere in the highlands. From Sundsvall, there are direct trains to Östersund where you can get on a train to the lively World Cup ski resort of Åre (hosts the downhill World Championships 2007). Åre also has direct trains back to Stockholm if you want to make it a "triangular" journey. Having said that, it might be popular (and expensive) in Easter and therefore you need to book. http://www.are.se

However, there are lots of other nice (and less popular) villages in that region and close to that train line. One is Vålådalen which really is "at roads end". Their site is in Swedish only but you can always mail them - I have only been there in summer but I know they do Easter breaks with lots of activities such as dog sledging, Easter buffet and such. http://www.valadalen.se Another big fell station with lots of activities is Storulvån: www.storulvan.se which has some info in English through the Swedish Touring Club page you are directed to.

Here is otherwise the tourist page for that entire province so here you have all sorts of "pensions" and B&Bs in the mountains: jamtland.info/parser.php?did...

by mimmad Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Sjalen,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information! I am so excited to go visit. I think I've decided to go to Sundsvall before Easter and then spend Easter in Stockholm since it's a bigger city. Do you have any recomendations there?
    I also was wondering if you knew where this was at because I have been going through my grandma's photo album and I can't find a city/area she mentions where her family homestead was at. Bergseforsen and then my grandfather's family home was in Fagevik?
    I think your pages are amazing! You definatley have a similar sense of adventure that I do. My best friend and I call it wanderlust. I think I got this from my Swedish grandmother who took a steamer and moved to the US by herself at the turn of the century.
    Thanks again!
    PS my sign in name is mimmad becasue we called my grandma mimma and her last name was Dalenius and her first name was Bertha. I actually go by Amy.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 26, 2006 at 10:22 AM

Haha, if I'm not mistaken, Dalenius is the name of a major shipping company in Sweden :) If you want to research your Swedish ancestors, you should see my Växjö page. Many people emigrated from that part of Sweden so it has the Emigrant House where lots of Americans come to research and visit the museum.

I don't know the last one but Bergeforsen is a village outside Sundsvall yes. We used to have a refugee camp there when I worked for the Immigration Board.

Just let me know what further info you need :)

by mimmad Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Tack! I appreciate your information so very much! Do you know the best way to get to Bergeforsen from Sundsvall? For some reason I can't find it. Also my grandmother's maiden name was Naslund. Do you know anything about that name?

Also enjoyed your link on Vaxjo and want to make sure to visit while I am there. Looks like it's not too far from Goteborg. Is it easy to get in and research while you are there or should I email the Immigration House ahead of time?

Thanks for all your help!You made my day with the information on Dalenius.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

RE: Easter in Sundsvall

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 2:18 PM

You're welcome.

I'm not sure it's THE Dalenius though :))) People in Gothenburg would know the family as that's our biggest harbour...or just google them and see what you can find.

I myself am more excited that you say granny's name was Näslund! Mats Näslund is one of Sweden's prime ice-hockey legends and played for Montreal in the NHL...moreover, he was born in Timrå which is a stone's throw from Bergeforsen and Sundsvall! Hm...certainly worth investigating.

I would contact the Emigrant House and book a time and also ask them if they have specific info on northern Sweden somewhere else. Not that it's not interesting for ALL Swedish Americans but you might miss info from some register further north.

The local buses are at: http://www.dintur.se/
    Only in Swedish I'm afraid but "Lokala turlistor" will give you the timetables and then you can see if any of them yields Bergeforsen. A quick look now revealed that you might have to change in Timrå so maybe that's a good one to start with - otherwise I can help tomorrow if you get stuck.

by mimmad Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 6:30 PM

Wow! This has been an amazing day thanks to you! In my grandma's scrap book is a postcard of Timra(which until now I didn't realize the significance of it) and a picture of her mom's grave where the back of the photo is labeled that they are buried in a town between Sundsvall and Bergeforsen! It must be in Timra which is why she included the postcard next to it! She also listed all the Naslunds and the year they were born.

Do you have any advice on finding out who Mats Naslunds parents/grandparent were. I googled and it talks about his stats in hockey(WOW) and career, names Timra but doesn't mention any family. Are there any Swedish sites that would have that information?

Tack! Tack! Tack!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 28, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Mats' father is called Torsten Näslund, that's all I know.

For research, have you seen this link?: http://www.genealogi.se/roots/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines