change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• mggm59's Profile Photo

Car rentals to go to Chile

Argentina Sep 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I am planning to go to Central/South Argentina moving by car, crossing into Chile in different points. I am not afraid to drive long hours, and I prefer to be able to stop when and where I like for taking pictures or just because I am tired, or to take the less beaten roads. I have been already twice to Argentina and took the rental car out to Chile a few years ago.

However, now I see this in Europcars conditions:

Cross border is only available into Uruguay at 82,64 USD and should be requested 72 working hours before the pick up day to with a copy of the drivers passport and licence. This is only available to Uruguay. If the permit is not requested before this time the driver can request it at time of rental; however they will need to wait 72 working hours and will need to collect the permit from one of the Europcar offices (it is not possible for delivery of permit). CROSS BORDER INTO CHILE IS NO MORE AVAILABLE DUE TO NEW LAWS IN ARGENTINA

Is this true? Other rental companies seem still to offer this option, or are the web sites not up to date? Thanks for any recent info and experience.

Also, any cheap rentals you might advice? Fiat Palio or similar, or if not too costly, Idea or small SUV/pickup, five weeks (is it possible to bargain on a long rental?)

• mile1910's Profile Photo

Rent a car

Perito Moreno Sep 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Is there a possiility to rent a car for 2 or 3 days and to cross the border with it to go to Puerto Tranquillo (marmol cathedral) ?
      I would arrive from Bariloche by bus but don't feel to drive from so far on the ruta 40.
      If not possible...should it be possible from Los Antiguos maybe ?
      Thanks a lot for the answer. I will be there around the 15th of nov.

Near Sunchales