I'm interested to visit Java and Sumatra with my parents this winter. Due to the tropical climate and beautiful coastlines I would like to know what are the best beaches on Sumatra. I heard about Iboih Beach but I don't know more.
Moreover - given that Sumatra is widely muslim - isn't complicated for women mainly to be in swimwear to go to the beach? I remember in Malaysia, men sometimes watched my mother with skepticism. We don't want to offense traditional way of life.
has anyone visited the banyak islands? would it be ok to bring kids ?
trekking in ketambe
trekking in ketambe sumatra with a 5 and 8 year old is it possible
Can anyone give me info on Way Kambas and/or Krakatau? I want to visit both places later in May. Is it possible to get a ride from Way Kambas to a boat that I could take to Krakatau? Is there any place to stay in or near the Elephant Training Center in Way Kambas? What about Krakatoa?
I have been living in Bengkulu for over half a year now and it is about time for me to go back to the States, but before I leave my friend wants to take me on a short trip here in Indonesia. I have been really interested in going to Way Kambas park to try and see some of the animals there but recently I have also been interested in seeing Anak Krakatau. If I was in Lampung province for 4 or 5 days would it be possible to see both?
Does anyone know of someone who could help us get from Way Kambas to Krakatau or just help us with planning a trip in that area? I am very open to suggestions.
Need advice and help, I am travelling to Padang of Sumatra next month from KL. I want to travel alone by land from Padang to Surabaya in about 2-3 weeks time. What do you suggest especially itinerary, what worth see, what to avoid?
My fiancee and I are planning to spend our honeymoon next July in Indonesia. We hope to spend two weeks in Sumatra to do some real travelling (see the orangutans, do white water rafting etc)then fly to Bali or Lombok for a week of luxury.
Can you recommend the best way to spend two weeks in Sumatra with lots of adventure?
hi fellow travellers,
im aware this is not the most suitable place to ask, unless some of you are actually medical doctors, but i will give it a shot.
a few months ago I visited a hospital immunologist consulting possible prophylaxes prescription ahead of my indonesia (sumatra) trip with, which is still due in a couple of weeks. It seems like I was a bit misinformed as i was recommended the medicine Lariam (Mefloquine), which i also eventually purchased.
Now doing my final research, I've come across on worrying reports and info (even on wikipedia) as for resistance to this kind of antiparasitic in indoenesia and in whole SE Asia for that matter. Not to mention all the undesirale effects the drug has got...
ok, no big deal, i havent intaken a tablet so far, so i can easily switch but, i was wondering your views and experience.
i can assure you I will visit the doctor again and ask him what he thinks now about the choice. Meanwhile, you go ahead... :)
thanks a lot
i have a few questions related to my upcoming trip to Sumatra.
1) I am attracted to the idea of seeing the Kubu tribe in Sumatra. How much time should i reserve for this activity? I was advised that i'll need a guide from Kerinci to see them. How much can expect to pay? Has anyone actually tried this?
2) I would like to see flowers Rafflesia Arnoldi and Amorphophallus Titanum. I am aware that one the places where I can see these flowers is Kerinci National Park. In what other places in Sumatra can i for sure see the flowers? The thing is that i am still thinking if I will ever visit Kerinci NP, or I will give it a miss.
3) I'm keen to see and some exhibits of the local traditional dance or singing performance. I've heard of Minangkabau performing arts centre in Bukittinggi open on thursdays. Is it worth? I look for nothing organized or posed only for tourists; rather something that is sort of ad hoc. Are there any places in Sumatra?
4) When in Padang, how long in total does it take to get from there to Medan? To understand this, I dont want to make any trips or long breaks on the way there since i just want to absorb the countryside and the journey this way; ...thus missing out on the Lake Toba, etc.. My objective is to get to Medan as soon as possible and then proceed to Pulau Banyak islands.
5) Upon this, what is the best possible way to Medan? The cheapest option of transport is preferable. Could you please specify exactly what modes of transport should i take? im used to a rough solo travelling, so i don't mind using slow public buses (or even hitchhiking and individual transport if necessary). I'm open to any suggestions and if you say its not worth or its no spectacle, i may skip this route and will fly direct to Medan, anyhow...
thanks a lot
I plan to travel to Sinabang in Oct this year. I would be grateful for any help with how I get there from Jakarta and details of any cheap hotels, losmen I could stay in. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi - I am just beginning my research on Sumatra because I saw a documentary on Arte - I am in France now - about the matriarchal society, the martial arts there, and most of all because of the old Buddhist temple - tenth/eleventh century - that has exquisite sculpture and it seems practicing monks! all that is striking and I am trying to find out more about the temple, where it is etc - Does anyone have inof? I also read that summer is the best time to visit, dry, but in VT one guy says that is the monsoon season - thanks for any help - Jean
I have a business trip to aiport code MES and need a place to stay for 4 days that is close by. The only hotel I cam up with is : Emeral Gardenia Hotel
Does anyone know if this place is good or have any other suggestions for me? Thanks.
HELP! I am travelling to Bukit Lawang, Sumatra this Saturday, Sep 24th and I would like to seek suggestions from anyone who has been there recently as to conditions of accommodations and the Orang Utang Rehab Center after the floods of late 2003. Also any info on lodging and activities in berastagi will be highly appreciated. Thanks a million to anyone who can help.
hello vt lesr
i was thinking about traveling up from jakaaarta through sumatra to malaysia. anything intressting on this way worth a stop :-) i d be glad for every tip! thanx and have a nice time
Hi! My concern is about Ipuh in Bengkulu Provinve in Sumatra. There was a quake there just after the tsunami and I would like to know how badly the region was affected. I have a friend who is from Ipuh. I cannot reach him since his mailbox is now full and I do worry a lot for him and his family. Let us never forget the victims....
Is finding an ATM in Sumatera just as easy as it is in Jawa and Bali? Or are there any areas where you still have to rely on money changers? Thanx, Arno