Stykkishólmur

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Name of Sweater Shop

Akureyri Jul 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I was in Aukureyri in May and purchased a sweater at a shop that was to be mailed to me. The name is something like Anna Hanna in it. It is on the main street. Need to find the correct name and telephone number as I have never received the sweater. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

more
    • Nice restaurant

Hveragerði Jul 13, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Is there a nice restaurant in Hverageröi for a reasonable price?

more
    • Camping in Iceland

Iceland Jul 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I'm not sure what to expect for an upcoming camping trip in Iceland. Are campgrounds frequent and do they fill up? Are reservations needed? Is there a registration office at the entrance or do you simply drive in and set up? Any advise, as simple as it is, will be greatly appreciated! I'm afraid that I am a victim of the North American camping system which requires so much preparation and is so formalized that I have abandoned it.

more
    • Traveling to Iceland while awaiting residence permit card of Norway

Iceland Jul 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Hello,
      I am an Indian citizen currently living in Norway. I was in Sweden before where i got the decision that residence permit of Norway has been granted to me. While my Swedish permit was still valid, I came to Norway. However, my swedish permit has expired and i got the appointment to get my biometric data for permit card to poilce station which is later than my planned trip to Iceland. I got the decision regarding my residence permit of Norway after 4 months. Though on the UDI website they say for cases like me I should have got in 8-9 weeks. And it was during this period I booked the tickets for Iceland. Even for the cheapest non-refundable ticket I have to spend a lot to go to Iceland from Norway. Now, the only valid document is the letter from Norwegian Embassy in Sweden that says that residence permit has been granted to me. I contacted embassy of Iceland in Oslo, and asked that if I am allowed to travel to Iceland with this letter or not. They directed me write to to Directorate of Immigration, Iceland. However, even after couple of days I haven't received any reply from them. They also said that I cannot apply for Icelandic tourist visa from within a schengen country. Pleading to police in Norway for earlier appointment is also of no use as they seems to have 'patent answer': too many applications, cannot prioritize my case! Though I have traveled extensively in Europe, US and in Asia, it is first time that I am facing such a trouble. Many times when I travel within Schengen countries no one ask for any document. However, sometime I have been checked as well at the airport. So, my question is that has anyone traveled to Iceland in such a situation? What are the consequences if I travel with just this letter to Iceland and is checked for residence permit card? Please let me know. I really don't want to miss this opportunity to go to Iceland especially with bunch of fun people with whom I have booked this trip. Also, the money will go waste that is another issue as the ticket was non-refundable.

more
    • Tours to Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) in October

Iceland Jul 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Is it possible to visit the Westman Islands (Vestmannaeyjar) in October? We are planning our second trip to Iceland and this time we would like to visit the Westman Islands during the first week of October. I checked a few websites and found out that the tour companies provide boat tours only till mid September! :-(

more
    • jtj3runner's Profile Photo

Renting a car in Reykjavik for a day, returning late?

Iceland Jun 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Hi travel experts:

We'll be in Reykjavik overnight as part of a cruise we're taking - we arrive the afternoon of 3 September (around 14:00), leaving the next day at 13:00.

I was thinking of renting a car on the 1st day to drive the "golden circle" tour - maybe staying out past sunset, as I'd love to photograph the stars. We may return to Reykjavik as late as midnight - are there car rental companies that I can get a car and return it that late? If so, what's the easiest way to get back from a car rental place to the cruise terminal at that time of night? I assume a taxi would be best, but not sure if I'll have trouble getting one at that time of night.

Thank you!

more
    • Round trip in 10 days - Opinions about Itinerary

Iceland Jul 10, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Hi everybody!
      We always wanted to see Iceland, but with the frequency we travel nowadays, this might well our first and only trip and we couldn't organize for staying more than 10 days.
      We are travelling with a 5 years old so we won't be doing any trekking, and the idea was to rent a car and stay at a different place everynight, all booked in advance through a local tour operator we got in touch with.

Admittedly the tour operator was suggesting to only focus on South and North, plus a Day in the West.

I am slightly worried we might be cramming too much in and end up driving a lot and seeing less than we would, so if anybody with experience with the country could give us an opinion it would be great.

Theoretically, driving times are feasible (googlemaps) but I guess we will run into lots of gravel roads.
      Is the insurance gravel waiver for the car a necessity?

Thanks for any feedback, we are a bit at loss!

Starting round 20 August

Day of arrival REYKJAVIK

Day 1 The South (Inland) Þingvellir National Park Geysir Gullfoss Waterfall. Accoms near here
      Day 2 The South Coast "Njal's Saga.
      Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
      Skógar magnificent waterfall
      Eyjafjallajökull Visitor Centre
      black sands and tall cliffs" Vik area
      Day 3 Southeast -Vatnajökull National Park / "Skaftafell - glacier vistas
      Jökulsárlón - glacier lagoon Vatnajökull Glacier " Hofn area
      Day 4 East "-views of tall and often uniquely formed mountains en route to the Eastfjords.
      -Djúpivogur and Eskifjörður-quaint fishing villages colourful old houses and harbours.
      -area around Egilsstaðir including Lake Lagarfjót, home to alleged sea serpent 'Lagarfljótsormurinn' " Egilsstaðir area.
      Day 5 Northeast Lake Mývatn / Lake Mývatn
      Day 6 "Husavik whale watching tour
      North Vatnajökull National Park -canyons, rock formations and waterfalls " Husavik or area on way to Akureyri
      Day 7 North + Akureyri "Goðafoss ('Waterfall of the Gods') en route to Akureyri town - enjoyable goethermal swimming pools, parks and museums.
      farmhouse museum at Glaumbær and the old turf church at Víðimýri.
      Húnaþing district - Seal Centre at Hvammstangi, Vatnsdalshólar hills and Kolugljúfur Canyon. " Hrútafjörður/Skagafjörður area
      (Northwest stop) suggestion: Book somewhere in between?
      Day 8 West Discover the lovely Borgarfjörður district. Climb the old crater Grábrók, view Hraunfossar and Barnafossar falls, the powerful Deildartunguhver hot spring, historic Reykholt and the Settlement Centre Borgarfjörður/Hrútafjörður area or Snaefalsness The diversity of the landscape and geology of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula is unique. Explore Eldborg Crater and the many attractions along the south coast of the peninsula including the church at Búðir, Arnarstapi harbour, Djúpalónssandur beach and Snæfellsjökull Glacier. Legend has it that the glacier is one of the seven 'energy points' of the Earth and author Jules Verne also famously featured it in his novel 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. Glacier tours are available during summer Snaefellsness

Day 9 REYKJAVIK

Day 10 FLYING OUT

more
    • Shoes to wear

Iceland Jul 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Excited for first visit to Iceland. Best type of shoes in January for outdoor and indoor hotel ? Tennis shoes ok for indoor?
      Appreciate your help...thank you. N&G

more
    • 10 Days in Iceland

Iceland Jul 15, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Hi there,

Myself and a few friends would like to travel to iceland at the end of September 2014. I've done quite a bit of research on iceland itself and it looks like a experience of a lifetime. I had a look at guided non guided, have to do and see places etc. We live in South Africa and our exchange rate is not of the best and we would like to make the holiday as affordable as possible.

We would like to rent a vehicle and do a self drive around Iceland, but I am having trouble finding out the names of places worth stopping over for the night along the way. We would like to to a drive around Iceland and visit many of the main attractions in each area.

Many people have recommended that we spend our first and last day in Reykjavik which seems like a good idea. Essentially we will just be traveling for 7/8 days in total. It would be great if someone could give me the names of the towns to seek accommodation at during our stay over as well as the average fuel price there. Any additional info regarding pricing, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Many people speak fondly of Iceland and its people and I would like to make the best of the entire trip.

Thanking anyone in advance.

Thank you
      Westley

more
    • 1978scotty's Profile Photo

hiring boots and clothes

Iceland Jul 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM

For our trip at the end of November we will be arriving on Wed, Thur we will go on a 3 day and 2 night trip and leave on the Sun. We can hire boots for the trip at a fraction of the purchase price. At the moment this makes sense because I assume that we will be using a bigger boot for more sock room, back in England these boots will be too big because we wont need the same amount of sock layers. Then i was thinking about hiring the big thermal jacket and leggings.Is there anyone that has done the same? Was it the right thing to do?
      When we leave the airport we go via shuttle to the hotel and from hotel to airport via shuttle so what should I consider for this journey?

more
    • Whale Watching - Ólafsvík or Husavik?

Iceland Jul 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Hi all - we are planning a 10 day trip to Iceland in early August. We would love to go Whale Watching, never seen any. I know you can do tours in Reykjavik but the 2 areas I've read most about are West (Snæfellsjökull / Ólafsvík) or North (Husavik). What I read is better odds of seeing a Blue West but more quantity North, but again hard to see much online.

Just wondering if you were us and planned a day or whale watching where would you go and why? Personal experiences and insider tips very much appreciated! Have been waiting 35+ years to see a whale :)

Thanks
      G

more
    • 4 Days in Iceland Suggestions Please

Iceland Jun 25, 2014 at 4:01 AM

Hi, I hope that this community can help me again.

Myself and my husband are flying to Reykjavík, late September. We only have 4 full days there and really, really hope that we get to see the Northern Lights. Although I know, it is not guaranteed.

Anyway, I would welcome all suggestions of "Must Sees" whilst we are there. I have always wanted to see the Geysers and hopefully swim in the Lagoons. The Volcanic landscape really appeals to me.

I am guessing that it is best we hire a car too?

Many thanks for your help and answers!!

more

Near Stykkishólmur