Stresa Travel Answers

change location

Venice to Stresa

by oh-io Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I am trying to get from Venice to Stresa on a Sunday in August. The only train schedule I can find gets us in too late. I want to arrive by 1400 or 1430. Is there a bus line? Should we get a car? We don't need a car otherwise as we are joining a group in Stresa. We could fly but have to connect through Rome and of course that is a little pricy on AirItalia. Any other ideas?
Thanks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Venice to Stresa

by leics Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Use the official Italian railway website to find train times, details and fares in English:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.h...

Don['t look for August: it is far too far ahead. Look for the same day iof the week next week. Times and fares won't change much, if at all.

You can take the 0832 from Venice Mestre (over the causeway on the mainland), which will get you to Stresa for 1220.

Or the 0858 from Venice Santa Lucia which arrives at 1330.

Or the 0950 from Santa Lucia which arrives 1433.

So you do not need a car (one-way hire carries a premium anyway). And you don't need to buy your tickets online in advance. Just get them from the station when you are in Venice (just before travel or a day or so beforehand if you prefer). Ticket machines are easy to use (cash is best to avoid hassle with foreign cards) and have English language options.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM

This is probably silly, but just to make sure, you mean the Stresa on Lago Maggiore, not the one that's a suburb of Torino, right? If the former, then leics' answer is all you need...

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

going to both Stresa you have to change at Milan, there are a lot of train at any time going from Venice to Milan and then to Torino or Domodossola....
    of course if you awake not early you can't think to be before noon in Stresa.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

BTW For Stresa, the one close Turin, check for trains to Turin PN (Torino Porta Nuova) and then taxi to Rivoli/Stresa

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Apr 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Stressa is a beautiful town on the lake, we had a few days there in 2005. I recall a train station in the town, so train most likely is the easiest way to travel. Photos on my page.

• Re: Venice to Stresa

by oh-io Online Now Apr 17, 2011 at 1:33 PM

To leics and all others- Thanks very much. Looks like we will be able to easily take the train. We are going to the Stresa on Lake Magg. so will pass thorugh Milan.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines