Strathclyde

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• 3 nights in Skye VS 2 nights in Skye + 1 night in Inverness

Isle of Skye Apr 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM

My husband and I are arriving into Edinburgh on July 8th. We spend 2 nights there - and then rent a car and the plan is to drive to Skye on the 10th. We have 3 nights booked in Skye at the Rowan Cottage Tree House. We then have a flight out from Inverness to London on the 13th at 2PM.

My question is do you think we should do 3 nights in Skye or should we spend the last night in Inverness since we have a flight out from there on the 13th afternoon.

Also any suggestions on good routes from Edinburgh to Skye and any recommendations for what distilleries to visit perhaps on the way to Skye? My husband really enjoys Scotch where as I can be the designated driver.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

more
    • charlesracine's Profile Photo

Cruises that originate from Edinburgh, UK?

Edinburgh Apr 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Are there cruises that originate from Edinburgh to mainland Europe or Denmark or Norway?

more
    • Isle of Skye

Isle of Skye Apr 10, 2014 at 1:46 AM

What is the most beautiful remote area of the isle of skye. we want amazing sea views with the possibility of seeing whales, dolphins,seals otters etc.

more
    • hotel in edinburg

Edinburgh Mar 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM

hi can anyone suggest a good hotel in edinburg central , i have 2 children aged 6 and 1 1 with me ,my budget is between 100 and 150 pounds per night

more
    • Archaeology

Orkney Apr 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I will have just 4 days on Orkney in May - want to see as much of the best archaeological sites possible. Will have our own transport. What would you recommend best way to make the msot of a short stay?

more
    • Isle of skye for 2 days

Isle of Skye Apr 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Is it better to hire a Isle of skye tour or one can roam around the whole area with public transport?

more
    • Taking a ferry with a rental car

Scotland Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I,ve heard that it's not possible to take a ferry with a rental car. Could you tell me if this is right? We're going to travel all around Scotland and this would be a serious problem.
      Thanks

more
    • Scottisn Referendum & Impact on Tourism

Scotland Mar 28, 2014 at 2:18 AM

We are thinking of visiting Scotland around the Referendum date - possible itinerary - Tobermorr/Sky/Stornoway /Pitterweem = touring in a small caravan, avoiding all major cities - and staying on 5 star sites. What concerns us is will we be welcome as English tourists or is there liable to be some ill feeling towards us. We are completely neutral in our views. All we do know is that Scotland is truly beautiful and we wish we'd discovered it earlier in our lives

Many thanks

more
    • Edinburg and London stay

Scotland Mar 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Hi , I am traveling with my 2children to uk and have total 9 nights and want to split between London and Edinburg , can any one suggest how many days to spend in Edinburg and how many in London?

more
    • Lord Provosts House

Glasgow Mar 1, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Was there ever a Lord Provosts House (other than Provand's Lordship) if so where was it.

1 Answer Mar 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    • Kinny811's Profile Photo

A working Mom (no time to plan) and a 14 year old daughter: traveling together

Glasgow Feb 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM

My daughter will have finished a school trip up in Glasgow, Scotland in June. I would like to meet her and then take a week to travel down towards London. No rush. . .we would like to make it an adventure, see little towns, try local fare, etc. I wish I knew more about the area, but I don't even know where to start. Help! :) Any guidance will give me a much needed boost and support net.

12 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    • Bike hire inveraray

Inveraray Feb 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Hi wandered if it is suitable to hire pedal bikes and if u can get a child seat on the back? We r staying in the argyll hotel and wandered what the walks r like for buggies?
      Thanks

2 Answers Feb 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    • Public Transport

Glasgow Dec 9, 2013 at 6:00 AM

What public transport is available during the night?

2 Answers Dec 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    • UzairAbdullah's Profile Photo

ticket cost

Island of Mull Dec 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

how much is a ticket to the island of mull by airplane

6 Answers Dec 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    • Santiagues's Profile Photo

Glasgow-Edinburgh...Train or bus, in terms of sightseeing.

Glasgow Dec 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM

HI there

I'll de doing a round trip from Glasgow to Edinburgh somewhere in the next Spring.

I've never been to any of both cities and It seems to me that I don't have any particulary strong reason to choose the train over the bus, and vice versa (time, money, location, etc).

What I'd like to know from you is if any of those itineraries is better than the other in terms of sightseeing.

I'll say it in a different way in case my English is too cryptic: Will I see a nicer Scotland landscape from the bus or from the train, neither or both?

9 Answers Jan 27, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    • melkarwor's Profile Photo

Where are other tourists or Scottish in Oban?

Oban Dec 2, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hey, I am travelling through Scotland at the moment to find the best place to live... At the moment I am in Oban. Who would like to go into a pub, a restaurant, cinema or ding some trips with me?
      Hope to hear from you soon!

xx

2 Answers Dec 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    • MacDougallGirl22's Profile Photo

Travel seasons

Oban Nov 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

When are the peak and off-peak seasons for travelling to Oban???

3 Answers Nov 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    • Raunchy_Poet's Profile Photo

Commonwealth Games - parking and B&Bs

Glasgow Oct 27, 2013 at 5:58 AM

We got tickets! So now we have to find a place to stay and where to park.
      (1) Parking: websites suggest Queens Park when Hampden Park has events. Should we take up that suggestion?
      (2) B&B: hotels on internet are either fully booked or charging £100s per night. Any thoughts? Any locals know somewhere? Got a spare room? :)
      Hope someone can help! Thanks, Steve

6 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    • Wedding reception at Brig a Doon House

Alloway Sep 13, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Are there any B&B's close by that hubby and I can stay for one night? They all seem to be a ten minute drive away..
      Thanks

2 Answers Jan 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    • visit islay

Islay Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

the best way to visit Islay? Hire a car for 1 week or use a taxi?

2 Answers Aug 31, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    • building tower

Inveraray Jul 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

What is the building looking over the water on top of the Hill from the sea front?

2 Answers Jul 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    • Street parking

Oban Jul 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Hi,

I'll be staying at a guesthouse in the vicinity of Albert Road, and the proprietors say there's street parking or a local pay and display car park. How likely is it that I'll be able to find street parking in August? Does anyone have any tips for a safe place to park without paying? Thanks very much.

Cathy

4 Answers Jul 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    • Typical restaurant in Glasgow

Glasgow Jul 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Can anyone recommend a nice typical restaurant in center Glasgow?
      Thanks

3 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 11:40 PM
    • kehale's Profile Photo

Great Airport Transfer Company

Glasgow Jun 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

We will be flying into Glasgow on August 26th to begin our honeymoon. We'll be heading up to Loch Lomond first, and we are looking for a great company to use for our transfer from the Airport to our hotel in Loch Lomond. After an overnight flight, we just want to be able to relax on our ride up there and would like to use a reputable company with great prices! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :)

3 Answers Jun 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Taxi With a Toddler

Glasgow Jun 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

It appears we'll need to take a taxi from Glasgow Queen Street Station, including Minifrosch. What are the rules as to child seats in taxis, and how easy/difficult is it to find a taxi with a child seat (if required)? Thanks!

12 Answers Jun 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    • Glasgow weekend break

Glasgow May 30, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Hi does anyone know any good hotels to stay in Glasgow?

3 Answers Jun 14, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Inverness to Oban on a Sunday

Oban May 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Hello all, it appears I made a bit of a tactical error planning our upcoming trip to Scotland - taking public transit on a Sunday. We were planning to take the bus from Inverness to Fort William, then change to a bus to Oban... but the bus Fort William to Oban doesn't run on Sundays. Oops...

Looking at various resources, it seems we have 3 choices. The first, suggested by Citylink's website, is to take the bus to Tyndrum and change there for the bus to Oban. The second, suggested by the Travel Scotland app, suggests the train to Crianlarich, changing there for the train to Oban (this would involve about a 2-hour layover in Fort William right around lunchtime - not the worst option in the world). The third, also suggested by Travel Scotland, would be to take the bus from Inverness to Spean Bridge, then changing for the train to Crianlarich (and on to Oban).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

6 Answers Jul 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    • the best airline

Glasgow May 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM

What is the best airline to fly with to Argentina? I am looking for something with as few stop overs as possible.

4 Answers May 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    • kyoto

Glasgow May 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Did anayone been to Kyoto in Japan?

1 Answer May 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    • jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Tenement, Transport museums, real ale pubs & other sites

Glasgow Apr 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Hello, I am travelling to Scotland next weekend, and am looking for information about the location of the tenement museum, I am interested in social history. There is also an open museum and a transport museum in Partick.
      I am hoping to have a day in the city and would be interested in finding a good pub serving local beer and Scottish food (but not touristy). Are any local VTets in the area?

9 Answers Sep 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    • ayr bus station

Glasgow Mar 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM

how far and what is the cost of a taxi to ayr travel lodge , thanx

3 Answers Mar 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    • LJdeHayward's Profile Photo

Flights from Glasgow to Stornoway

Glasgow Mar 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I will visit Scotland June 11 - 25 and would like to fly from Glasgow to Stornoway during the week of June 18 - 22 2013. I see that if you buy tickets online they are nonrefundable, so it would be better to purchase them once I am in the UK, but wondered how filled up they get during that time. Also if any refundable tickets are available. I checked their trip insurance and it seems that there are too many exceptions that would make it useless.

12 Answers Mar 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    • clivedinburgh's Profile Photo

Short stay in November

Loch Lomond Oct 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

We are off to 3 night stay in a lodge at Cameron House Hotel next month and would appreciate any hidden gems that we can either walk or drive to. Proposed so far for our party (granny & grandad, mrs, me & the kids - 3&1):

Walk to Lomond Shores/take a cruise with Sweeney's
      Fireworks on the 5th
      Drive over to Helensburgh/Faslane for old times sake

2 Answers Oct 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    • Glasgow in January?

Glasgow Aug 14, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Hi everyone. I am thinking of going to Glasgow in mid-January for two weeks. I have a few questions, though... before I get into that, I just want to note that I have been to Glasgow before, but only in the warmer months. Now on with the questions...

1. How cold can I expect it to be? I am from New York where the winters can be quite cold, snowy, and icy, so I doubt it'll be much cooler than here, but I don't want to be shocked. But... is it going to be too cold for me to walk around?

2. Because it gets darker there so early in the winter... will it be safe for me, a solo female traveler, to be walking around Glasgow's city center after dark?

3. Will there be attractions open?

4. What places do you recommend? What are must-sees?? What things are worth checking out? I'll have two weeks, so I'm hoping there's enough to entertain myself with in winter. I have no problem taking day trips out of Glasgow, but I don't quite understand the public transport there, so nothing too complex, please.

8 Answers Sep 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM
    • Glasgow airport to Thistle Hotel

Glasgow Aug 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Hello,
      Is it possible to get to the Thistle Hotel from the Glasgow airport by public transportation or would a taxi be our best bet. There will only be two adults and we each have only one rolling bag. Thank you for your help.

9 Answers Aug 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    • What to do for a day on Isle of Mull

Island of Mull Jul 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I am traveling with my four children, ages 21-14, to Scotland. We want to visit the Duart Castle but wasn't sure whether it was worth taking our rental car to the Isle so we could travel around. Or, just book the package which includes ferry passage, coach and entrance to the castle. Are there beaches near the castle to walk to?

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

2 Answers Jul 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    • Campbelltown to Glasgow

Glasgow Jul 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Can anyone tell me which bus company covers the Campbelltown to Glasgow route.

7 Answers Sep 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    • Non-smoking?

Tobermory Jun 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Are any of the various pubs, cafes or restaurants in Tobermory non-smoking? Or at the very least have a non-smoking area that is sufficiently distant from the smoking crowd so that one does not inhale second hand smoke?
      Robert

3 Answers Jun 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    • Glasgow or Loch Lommond and Inveraray Castle

Glasgow Apr 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I am arriving in May on a cruise to Glasgow for the day only. We have a few different excursions to pick from. What would be best to see....stay in Glasgow for the day or travel to Loch Lommond and Inveraray Castle? So much to do...so little time.

19 Answers Apr 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM