Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Answers

change location

transport

by celtic10 Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 5:50 AM

Hi
I am presently in Bath and looking at visting beautiful Stratford-Upon-Avon, what is the most economical way to travel there from Bath. Also looking for budget accommodation I have been told YHA is quite good, only problem they say is bus into Stratford is 4 pounds each way, would this be correct seems expensive. Can anyone advise on transport into town.
Cheers

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • taurean_traveller's Profile Photo

Re: transport

by taurean_traveller Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 6:31 AM

According to National express
    coach.nationalexpress.com/ti... the fares would be £21, so your £4 seems very reasonable.

The self same subject was on Trip Advisor and it looks a bit hectic going by train
    tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1....

However there will be those better in the know than me

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: transport

by celtic10 Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 6:52 AM

sorry I meant the bus fare from yha into Stratford 4 pounds each way and is only 3 miles, would this be correct.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 7:31 AM

The local bus company doesn't publish fares on the website for single journeys but if I read this correctly, a ticket for £3,30 allows you to ride all day on their buses in the Stratford area which includes Alveston, the location of the YHA premises. Yiou can therefore get to Stratford and back for £3.30 it seems.

stagecoachbus.com/Warwickshi...

and here's the timetable. You will see that the buses stop right outside the hostel.

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads...

I hope that helps.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 7:46 AM

There isn't a convenient rail route between Bath and Stratford so the National Express coach would be the sensible option.

However, there is only one daily journey shown between Bath and Stratford. There are four or five each day from Bristol, but that means getting a bus or train from Bath to Bristol first.

I had a quick look at various journey planning sites and all sorts of weird ideas come up. Try them for yourself if you like! There are endless permutations but none I found took less than about three hours. Sit down with a map and figure out which towns you don't mind going through to get there!

Going by train via Didcot, Oxford and Banbury was one option, taking about 3 hours. (Stratford is only about 90 miles from bath but there is no direct route).

Another sent me via Didcot and Oxford then by coach from Oxford to Stratford.

Or via Bristol and Birmingham by train at a cost of £46,50!

http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/

www.nationalrail.co.uk

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

by TheLongTone Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 11:27 PM

iven that Stratford on Avon is so difficult to get to from almost anywhere, I'd change your plans. It's a dull little town with little to do other than visit the theatre. No wonder master WS left for the big city as soon as he could.

• northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 2, 2011 at 8:38 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if your 3 mile journey was close to £4.
    I live in Bristol (ran by First Bus) and to go from work to the city centre; 6 miles it's £4 a single journey. They base fares on zones so if you're going 3 miles from one zone to another it generally costs more than if you travel 3 miles inside one zone.

As mentioned earlier if you are doing more than one journey on the bus a day rider is more cost effective.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines