Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Answers

change location
lou31's Profile Photo

Monk's Barn Farm.

by lou31 Online Now Jan 2, 2005 at 1:24 PM

Hello....Has anyone stayed at a B&B called Monk's Barn Farm just south of Stratford. I am thinking about booking a 3 night stay there but would like to know a little bit more about the place. I would be grateful of any tips on B&B's in the area. Also I have heard of a place called the Shire Horse Centre. Is it worth a visit? Thanks in advance and cheers..............Louise

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Watsoncomper's Profile Photo

Re: Monk's Barn Farm.

by Watsoncomper Online Now Jan 3, 2005 at 9:42 AM

Shire Horse Centre As regards the Shire Horse Centre close to Stratford I can recommend a visit if you like horses. The centre itself offers a number of other activities and a pleasant café/resturant but its primary focus is the horses. They have demonstrations during the day of working with the horses pulling carriages and using various farm implements. The centre does have its own website address but it appears not to be working currently www.shirehorsecentre.co.uk I have included these additional links below which will give you a feel of the place. bighooves.com/stratford2001.... and visitheartofengland.com/attr... Monks Barn Farm I passed this B&B today. I can tell you that a) It easy to find b) It would be too far to walk into Stratford for comfort. At least 3 miles c) Travel would need to be by taxi or hire car. d) The main farmhouse is fairly close to the road. e) They also have a small area as a private caravan park. f) They are re-roofing the barn area at the moment g) The farm is a working farm h) The farmhouse looks very pleasant The website below shows the main farmhouse bedandbreakfastnationwide.co...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Monk's Barn Farm.

by Trey_uk Online Now Jan 6, 2005 at 9:14 AM

Oh, you're going to have a fantastic time. Stratford is a very nice town with a great atmosphere and lots to do. For a guide to B&B's and lots more visit http://www.stratford-upon-avon.co.uk/ Bear in mind that as with all major tourist centres prices will be higher than elsewhere in the UK. If you are going in the summer be sure to catch the many street acts by the river, which is beautiful. To acquaint yourself with the town, a good idea is to take the Green Bus tour which is a guided tour of the town and surroundings. It costs £7 (might have gone up now) but you can hop on and off as you like and it goes past attractions like Anne Hatahways house as well. Well worth it to get your bearing s and very informative and entertaining too! Also, there is of course the Royal Shakespeare Theatre. It's a real experience and thye have a selection of plays. Tickets can be expensive but they do sell standing only tickets for just a fiver I discovered!!! Check with them as it may only be when they are full but it's a great way to see a play if you don't mind standing. Have a great time, Trey x

• Re: Monk's Barn Farm.

by sassy49 Online Now Jan 9, 2005 at 8:16 AM

Stratford is a great place to visit. plenty to see. nicest from easter onwards when you can go on boat trips or hire a rowing boat . The Shire Horse centre closed down a couple of years ago. i research a children's guidebook covering the heart of England so I know the area well.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

Re: Monk's Barn Farm.

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 13, 2005 at 8:14 AM

Hi - I live very near to Stratford - in fact we do a lot of our shopping there as it is such a nice place (not huge) Personally, I would pick one of the B&B's in the town itself otherwise your evenings will involve having to travel by Taxi after a pleasant meal and drink instead of a leisurely walk back through the town to your accomodation. There are a number of B&B's near the hospital/station or on the old A34 road out of town.(A3400 Shipston Road). The B&B's out towards the college or train station are walk-able but not such an interesting walk. The town has many pubs and restaurants - if you are "out in the sticks" then you may be lucky to have a nice pub nearby but the town is so charming that it would be nicer to stay there. It's personal choice I guess. Take some good shoes for riverside walks - in case it is wet, not because the paths are difficult. You can get a fair way south along the river to the bridge, then back through the churchyard to the town bridge. There is also a butterfly farm near the park by the river. If using Stratford as a base, you may reach Oxford, Woodstock (Bleinheim) , Birmingham, Warwick. Cotswolds for days out. The train from Stratford to the centre of Birmingham (Bull Ring shopping centre, Gas Street Basin, Centenary Square etc) takes about 30 - 40 minutes - NOTE trains do not go to Birmingham New Street Station, they go to Moore Street or Snow Hill stations but still in the city centre. I could rattle on for ages as I love the place - email me separately for anything specific about the area and I will bore you rigid about Packwood House, Canals, Henley-in-Arden Ice cream, Lapworth Canal locks, Baddesly Clinton...................

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines