Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Answers

change location

Do you know this pub?

by Silverarrow226 Online Now Dec 12, 2004 at 8:01 AM

My husband and I had the time of our lives, way back in 1988, visiting with the locals at a Straford pub called the Fox Inn. They invitied us back again for 'Quiz Night'. I would love to take my kids there but don't remember where the pub is located. Does it even have the same name? Can anyone help? Thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

Re: Do you know this pub?

by Britannia2 Online Now Dec 12, 2004 at 1:57 PM

I did a search via Google and the only Fox Inn in the area I could find was in a village called Loxley which is 4 miles from Stratford. When are you going? I should be there in February and could look it up for you then.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Do you know this pub?

by Silverarrow226 Online Now Dec 12, 2004 at 6:54 PM

Yes, I saw that one too. But that one looks much more 'hoity toity' than the Fox Inn that I remember. But it could be under new management. We were staying in an adorable thatch roofed B&B in Stratford-Upoon-Avon and the Fox Inn pub was just around the corner. Is Loxley near there?

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Do you know this pub?

by Sjalen Online Now Dec 14, 2004 at 7:51 AM

I don't want to spoil the fun but make sure the kids are welcome as not all pubs welcome children. Especially not in the evenings which is when quizzes are held...

• Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Do you know this pub?

by Deus_ultima Online Now Dec 14, 2004 at 8:00 AM

well..strafford is so small, I'm sure you can jus go and find it again. :) Your memory might be jogged once your there

• Watsoncomper's Profile Photo

by Watsoncomper Online Now Dec 28, 2004 at 3:01 PM

Hi We are right in my area now as I live only 2 miles away in Wellesbourne and I have to agree with the previous posts that the only pub I know of in the area is the The Fox at Loxley village. Loxley is about four/five miles outside Stratford This was my local pub for many years in the nineties as both my children went to Loxley primary school. The trouble is that the public house is a reflection of the publican (tenant/owner) and as such as these change so does the character of the pub. Certainly in 1988 it was a typical English village pub but through the nineties it became established for its food and became extremely popular around the Stratford area until the untimely death of its owner. In fact when the Prime Minister of the day John Major visited Stratford he stopped for lunch at the The Fox. I cannot tell you about its status today as I realise I have not visited it for a number of years. However I feel that the pub would not be anything like you remember as in the nineties it was totally restyled to a single open plan room where previously it had been a number of small rooms. If you are still interested and in the interest of the VT of course I can visit The Fox and give you an update as to its present status.

• tango_jd's Profile Photo

by tango_jd Online Now Dec 31, 2004 at 3:16 AM

Would it be this one? The Fox & Goose Inn, Armscote, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire CV37 8DD (01608 682293) Review here: telegraph.co.uk/travel/main....

• Re: Re: Do you know this pub?

by Silverarrow226 Online Now Jan 4, 2005 at 10:12 AM

Thanks you so much for all your help. I do believe it is the Fox Inn under new management. Like they say, "You can't go home again."

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines