Stow on the Wold Travel Answers

change location
new_hope30's Profile Photo

New to the area

by new_hope30 Online Now Feb 5, 2003 at 3:34 PM

Hi All! I am coming to England in April to hopefully stay for about a year. I have traveled to the UK about 6 times in the last two years but it has been mostly for business. I absolutely fell in love with the Cotswalds and West Midlands (and London as well, but definitely can't afford it). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can go about finding a job in these areas, being a foreigner, sufficient enough to pay for room and board? I want to get out of the rat race and do something where I get to interact with people more and have enough free time to explore. I'm pretty much up for anything. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. As info., I am 32 years old and have 11 years of international business experience ... but am willing to be a waitress if I can experience England for awhile. Thank you for your help! Cheers! Camille P.S. If you know of any VT groups that get together in this area, please let me know. I am looking forward to making new friends when I arrive!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • SusanitaL's Profile Photo

Re: New to the area

by SusanitaL Online Now Feb 6, 2003 at 4:08 AM

HI Camille, I am pretty much doing the same as you want to do. I am waitressing at the moment in London. Jobs are easy to find and with your experience I dont think you should have a problem. The only thing you have to keep in mind is having your documents sorted. Try getting a student visa as it enables you to work 20 hours a week. Catering is hard work and long hours but a way of interacting with lots of ppl everyday. London can be expensive but its all relevant. Write back to me and maybe we can meet up too. Good Luck, Susana

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DUNK67's Profile Photo

Re: Re: New to the area

by DUNK67 Online Now Feb 7, 2003 at 7:59 AM

you could try kanes foods in middle littleton near evesham which isn`t too far from the cotswolds their workforce is mainly foreigners. Kanes Foods Ltd (01386) 830471 Cleeve Rd Middle Littleton WR11 5JS

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Re: New to the area

by Sjalen Online Now Feb 19, 2003 at 6:08 AM

I would write or mail to the main City Councils and ask them what the job situation is like. Very often they will send you a list of their main employers to help you along the way. Try a web search for for instance Cheltenham, Gloucester, Evesham...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines