Stonehenge Travel Answers

change location

dusk or dawn?

by maythe4thbewithyou Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 4:56 AM

I want to take a private tour that allows entrance up close to the stones at dusk or dawn. Which time of day is better (for pictures... not concerned with amount of people)? We can choose... but the tour guide is leaning toward dawn since it is more convenient for him. I was leaning towrd dusk since I have only seen pics at Dusk and they are striking. If it is equally as beatiful at dawn then no point in inconveniencing the driver. If dusk is superior then I will dig my heals in. So.... Dusk? Dawn? No difference?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: dusk or dawn?

by leics Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM

I don't wish to put a 'downer' on your idea, but neither will be very beautiful if the weather is not right, and there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will be. From that point of view I would veer towards evening, if only because you will at least anticipate your disappointment as at least you will know in advance that the day has been overcast/wet!

Otherwise, it makes not a jot of difference: either one photographs the stones set against a rosy dawn and rising sun, or against a glowing sunset. Either may be very beautiful, and the stones may look 'striking' in either because they are striking whatever the weather (that is their purpose, after all). The site, being reasonably high, will allow for silhouette-type photos in either direction.

I did not realise that the stones were opened at dawn for private visits (except for the night of the Summer Solstice, when they are packed with several thousand people). My private university-organised visit within the stones was arranged for 8am: public opening time is 9.30.

I would be guided by your guide though. It may be considerably easier for him/her to arrange a private visit with the authorities (and these must be arranged well in advance, so perhaps that is why he seems to be asking for a time convenient to him/her?) for early summer dawn than for a late summer sunset.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines