Stonehenge Travel Answers

change location

Stonehenge circle access

by MPRICE9 Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I understand it is possible to go into the circle on certain days at dawn or dusk outside regular hours. Has anyone done this? Is it necessary to be part of a larger group/tour ? Why is it not possible near/on equinoxes or solstices?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Stonehenge circle access

by leics Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 11:15 PM

You are not allowed within the stones unless you are part of an academic group which has made a prior booking well in advance, apart from the Midsummer 'watchnight', when the stones are a focus for celebration by 'oagan' groups.

There are several reasons for limited access: there has been vandalism & graffiti in the past, with people climbing on the stones (a health & safety risk). The area within and surrounding them is archeologically important, and must be preserved both for future generations and potential improvements in archaeological investigation techniques. The sheer volume of visitors to Stonehenge (you will not be there alone!) means that wandering amongst the stones is no longer feasible. A pity, perhaps (I have been within them, and it is a very different experience) but essential.

You will be near enough. Use an audio guide so you know more about what you are seeing. Try to visit Avebury as well if you can; the village is set inside a massive stone circle & ditch complex, and is fascinating.

More Avebury info on my page: "Within the circle............................" - Avebury by leics

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM

*pagan groups*

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Oagans might celebrate too.....am not entirely sure.......:-)))

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines