Stockton Travel Answers

change location

Best Area to Live....

by wmarie Online Now Jan 24, 2004 at 9:09 PM

I'm moving to Stockton to work for the Ports and I need to find a furnished apartment in nice, safe area. I'm looking to spend no more that750/month. Can someone recommend a nice area? What do you like about the city of Stockton?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • atufft's Profile Photo

RE: Best Area to Live....

by atufft Online Now Sep 8, 2005 at 11:18 PM

By "Ports", I'll guess you mean the baseball team not the shipping port. Welcome to town. I'm not to knowlegeable about apartments in the city frankly, but I would definitely look around the uptown areas. There are quite a number of charming rental houses and houses with rentals in the back in this part of town, which is tree covered, relatively safe, and within bicycling distance of the baseball stadium. If you are into exercising outside of playing ball, then having a residence close to Victory Park (off Pershing), or the University of the Pacific, or the American Legion Park would be great. If the rents are too steep there, then consider going to the east side of Pacific Avenue area, ideally near Oak Park (where the old stadium is located) or in the vacinity of the Miracle Mile. For sure, you don't want to go too far east over the railroad tracks. The rents are very cheap over there, but then grimy living conditions and street crime becomes a bit of a problem. Also, you really don't want to go much north of March Lane, especially into the region of Hammer Lane, because you'll get away from the good life of uptown and into the drab suburban zones that are actually ripe with gang activity in some neighborhoods. A secret option for the those seeking solitude or the adventurous with wheels is to rent a houseboat parked at one of the marinas outside town. I particularly like Paradise Cove, but then that's a bit of a distance from town. Get a copy of the Stockton Record for exact details, and let me know what addresses you are interested in...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • atufft's Profile Photo

RE: Best Area to Live....

by atufft Online Now Sep 8, 2005 at 11:21 PM

I forgot to mention that what I like about the city is posted all over my various pages on this site. Depending upon where you are coming from, there's a lot good about the city. Those moving from the central valley will find a more urbanized city with things to do, and a closer shot for weekend action in San Francisco. Those coming from the Bay Area find relief in the less dense traffic and cheaper housing. I personally liked the idea that I, a middle class citizen, could actually afford waterfront property in this great state.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines