State of Victoria Travel Answers

change location

Question about a time long ago

by Surprise1975 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hi all,

My dad emigrated to Aussie in 1952 (he was 4 at that time, the remigrated back to the Netherlands in 1956) to the state of victoria the town called New Terlenkatah (or something like this). We need to know the exact name of this town, because a dutch television program, want to go to Aussie with people who lived there long ago. I can't find this town on the map of aussie, my dad told me it was in the state of victoria in the area of Melbourne.

It's my dream to go to Aussie sometime and I want to visited the area where my dad lived.

Is somebody know how this town called now?

Thanks.

Regards, Surprise

Quote & Answer
23 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: Question about a time long ago

by margsch Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Could it be Natimuk? This town is near Horsham.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by margsch Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Do you know anyone who came out from Holland at the same time? Many migrants were housed in migrant hostels, often with people from their own country.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Have a look at this postcode list. Unless the name is changed it should be on the list
    onlymelbourne.com.au/melbour...

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I do not know the small places around Melbourne well enough to guess the correct name. But the story suggests to me that the name of the town might be Dutch because it might have been founded by Dutch immigrants. It is the same with the many German names in the Barossa Valley, for example Hahndorf, or the Melbourne suburb of Altona named by a German.

The "New" in front of the same also suggests that the name derives from an established European settlement. Remember, even the name New Zealand derives from a Dutch province.

You can find interesting info about Dutch immigration to Australia here:

museumvictoria.com.au/origin...

This article describes the area of the Dandenongs, Berwick and Frankston as a hub of Dutch neighbourhoods (immigrants or their descendants).

Is there no place in the vicinity that sounds anywhere like New Terlen-something?

I find "Narre Warren" quite intriguing but I have no idea where this name comes from and what it means.

Scanning the map I see nothing with "New" - but perhaps our taxi driving VT friend has an idea???

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I think the Discovery Centre of the Museum of Victoria can help you with your enquiry.

They write:

"All immigration records are held by the National Archives of Australia. For information on how to access passenger & migration records, please visit our infosheet on Researching your family history, under the section on the NAA, towards the bottom of the page."

museumvictoria.com.au/discov...

Here are the contact details of the National Archives of Australia:

naa.gov.au/about-us/contact/...

PPS

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM

This page is also a great source of information with a multitude of links:

ammerlaan.demon.nl/OZDUTCH.H...

• johnfromoz's Profile Photo

by johnfromoz Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM

The town that you may be looking for could be Tallangatta which is near Wodonga on the Victoria/New South Wales border.
    What work did your father do whilst he was in Australia?
    He may have worked on the Snowy Mountains Hydro electric scheme which was in full construction at this time so it may explain why your father could have been in Tallangatta.
    4000 men worked on this project, mostly immigrants.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Please let us know if you have any success.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Thanks Sissi (Kakapo2) but I ceased taxi driving some 15 months ago and now retired - LOL

I'm thinking the name given might have been a Dutch nick name for the area/town. Couple of possibilities - South Vermont in suburban Melbourne had a sizable Dutch population and also some of the small towns in The Dandenong ranges east of Melbourne had strong Dutch influence. Here I'm thinking Silvan and Monbulk. Silvan has the Tesselaar Tulip Festival - see http://www.tulipfestival.com.au/ and the farm http://www.tesselaar.net.au/ its just possible that this was the area. Off course 8 year old kids memories change and the name has been distorted over time.

One of the migrant hostels was nicknamed Camp Hell and it was indeed a terrible place. I remember as a kid being driven past there in the 1950's and early 60's - it was Nissan huts placed in Royal Park and may have been a WW2 army camp.

The suggestion of contacting The Immigration museum also might turn up something. Also try http://www.hollandfestival.com.au/ just maybe someone has a contact that can help you with the name - maybe they have a historian.

Good luck.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Great info, guys!

I think Tallangatta or however it was spelled sounds very much like (New) Terlenkatah...

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Although Tallangatta is a great hunch on the name, I'll make 2 comments based on other postings.
    1. Tallangatta is too far away from the Snowy scheme for the boy to be based there.
    2. There was a large construction/expansion of the Hume weir during the 1950's so he could have been based there.

In both cases remember we are dealing with a small boy who would not have worked on any scheme, but it would be of interest to know who he accompanied (his parents perhaps)

Also Tallangatta is hardly "in the area of Melbourne."

Hope original poster gets back and can supply any more info.

by margsch Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The answer from Sissi regarding National Archives might solve your problem, I was able to see exactly when my own parents arrived from Germany. You can search as a guest on the website for free or join if you need to do more research.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM

My old brain has been ticking away over Tallangatta and I'm now thinking that it just might be the town. In the 1950's old Tallangatta was vacated because the area was been inundated for the expanded lake Hume and so a new Tallangatta was built some 5 miles away. I seem to recall it was called new Tallangatta for a number of years and the "new" part was never official.

• Re: Question about a time long ago

by helenslea Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 3:31 AM

I'm sure it is Tallangatta that you're looking for. It was called New Tallangatta because the old town was relocated so that they could make the Hume Weir. There was a refugee camp just out of Wodonga called Bonegilla so your Dad might have been there first and moved to Tallangatta from there. My sister happens to live in Tallangatta. It is about a 4 hour drive from Melbourne. You can also get a train to Wodonga or Albury and then a but to Tallangatta. I'm sure that there would be some people there who were there back in '52 who would be happy to meet with you. Good luck with it and let me know if you have any other questions.

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM

fascinating detective work

by Surprise1975 Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Thanks guys,

My dad didn't work, because he was 4 years of age, my grandfather build roads or something like that by train raillroads. My Grandmother became homesick and she don't want to talk about Aussie a lot, my Grandfather who loved Aussie passed away almost 10 years ago. So I don't have a lot of info, my grandmother said it was in the area of Melbourne, so that was the reason I wrote that. My dad became very sick as a 4 years old kid he had a heavy life treathning pneumonia and my granny has to go to frankston with the train with my father, because my grandfather was working the whole week.

My father is surching for a doktor Leth, a ms. Mary a ms Reed, a farmer called Stevenson.

So when you have further information i thank you all.

Old Tallangatta was put under water is what my daddie told me right now, that was the reason the called the new town New Tallangatta or Terlenkatah (Dutch version ;))

Thanks

by johnfromoz Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

My apologies I meant to write Grandfather not father in regards to work.
    By your extra information I think that we are on the right track with Tallagatta.
    Not sure whether we can help with tracking down the doctor or farmer Stevenson but will see what we can come up with.

by johnfromoz Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Here is a link to the Stevenson's still living in the Tallagatta area.
    I would assume that one of them may be a descendant of the farmer that you are looking for.
    whitepages.com.au/resSearch....
    Also a link to people with the surname Reed;
    whitepages.com.au/resSearch....
    Sorry cannot find any reference to a doctor Leth.
    Good luck

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Feb 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Frankston, golly, i live very close to Frankston

by helenslea Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 1:33 AM

My sister said that there are lots of Stevensons in the Tallangatta area but no Reed's of that spelling.

by Surprise1975 Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Dear Helenslea,

Does your sister know a doktor leth, my dad told me he was working as a doktor in 1952 in Tallangatta, it can also be in old tallangatta. You told me that there are many people living in Tallangatta who lived there in 1952 also, maybe they know, is it possible for me to get in contact with one of them trough mail or something like that?

For all the other guys, thanks you helped me a lot, I think I found a picture of bonagilla camp on which my grandfather is standing, but I have to ask my dad first because I'am not 100% sure.

Do somebody remember the name of Henk (the people of aussie said Hank) Hendriks?????? from The Hague.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Surprise

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM

For finding Henk or whichever other Dutch person the archives would really be the perfect source.

by margsch Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM

In Google type in immigration+archives+austalia and you will be able to insert your Dad,s surname and search. This computer is not letting me into the website

by helenslea Online Now Feb 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You could try Cath and Jock Cavanagh who have been in Tallangatta for a long time and have all the contacts with the oldies in the area. Cath’s email is cathe@live.com.au
    Good luck

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Victoria Travel Answer Locations