change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Eitan.R's Profile Photo

Lake Pedder & Southwest NP

Hobart Jun 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I spent a week in Tasmania more than two decades ago and I'm looking forward to another trip to the Island, a longer one this time. Southwest NP looks very interesting and I'm sure some of you have explored it. It seems that the only way to reach Mt. Solitary is by boat. Is there a boat service to the island ? is camping allowed on it ?

more
    • Eitan.R's Profile Photo

Lake Pedder & Southwest NP

Hobart Jun 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I spent a week in Tasmania more than two decades ago and I'm looking forward to another trip to the Island, a longer one this time. Southwest NP looks very interesting and I'm sure some of you have explored it. It seems that the only way to reach Mt. Solitary is by boat. Is there a boat service to the island ? is camping allowed on it ?

3 Answers Jun 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    • Booking tours through Global Journeys

Tasmania May 6, 2014 at 5:20 AM

Has anyone booked a coach tour through Global Journeys? Their prices are so much better than booking with AAT Kings directly that they seem too good to be true.

2 Answers May 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM
    • 6-berth Motorhome with Shower & Toilet rental

Launceston Mar 17, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Hi, we are 6 people from oversea planning to visit Tasmania on Nov. We are going to rent a motorhome for a 12 days trip, any kindly suggestion of good rental company for it? Thank you very much!

Carol

5 Answers Mar 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    • Waterfalls

Devonport Feb 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Location of waterfalls between Devonport and Launceston?

2 Answers Feb 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    • dyah.ES's Profile Photo

Port Arthur day tour or ghost tour?

Hobart Dec 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Hi,
      I am thinking to take Port Arthur ghost tour, but my husband want both day tour and ghost tour
      I am afraid there will be some kind of overlapping if we do both since the location is the same
      Is anyone has experience on both? Will it be overlapping experience if we take both?
      If we have to choose which one is better?
      Big thanks in advance

Dyah

4 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    • Trip suggestions/tips/things to see & do in Tasmania for 22 days during December2013 & January2014

Tasmania Dec 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Trip Suggestions/tips/ advice/ things to see & do for the following itinerary will be much appreciated:

I am not really keen to visit a zoo/animal park, adventure rides/adrenaline challenges, hiking/(bush)walking too long (i.e. greater than 10-12 km return) trails.
      I do enjoy nature, bit of museum visits, visiting historic sites & learning/cultural centres, gentle hiking,(bush)walking upto 10km, visiting small towns & cities, wineries, eateries, beaches, short climbs, scenic drives.

A)Day 1, 2 &3: In & around Hobart & day trips from Hobart.

B)Day 4: Bruny Island but can’t take my 2 wheel drive to Bruny because of many unsealed roads.

C)Day 5: Port Arthur

D) Day 6: Bronte Park Village, around Derwent Bridge Area

E) Day 7: Strahan

F) Day 8 & 9: Tullah(visit attractions like Cradle Mountain, Leven Canyon & Mole Creek Caves?? with Tullah as base)

G) Day 10: Stanley (not planning to take the Arthur River Cruise)

H) Day 11: Devonport & on the way see Burnie

I) Day 12: George Town

J) Day 13 & 14: St Helens, Bay of fire

K) Day 15 & 16: Coles Bay, Freycinet Peninsula

L) Day 17: Bicheno
      Any possibility to see Ross,Cambeltown, EvanDale on route during this time?

M) Day 18: Deloraine

N) Day 19,20, 21 & half of Day22: In & around Launceston & day trips from Launceston

Thanks for your suggestions/tips/ advice.

4 Answers Jan 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    • Buy a new car

Hobart Nov 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

can a tourist legally buy and register a new car in Hobart, Tasmania ?

4 Answers Nov 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    • travelling with kids

Tasmania Nov 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM

things to do and see in southern or southeast Tasmania November 2013 whilst on holidays travelling with 2 and 5 year olds

2 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    • Hyundai Getz Auto(1.3L engine) in mountainous(with steep slopes) roads in Tasmania

State of Tasmania Oct 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Will Hyundai Getz Auto with a 1.3L engine be fine to drive in the mountainous(with steep slopes) roads & hilly touristy attractions/spots in Tasmania? I am planning to rent this car for a 21 day trip to all the major tourist attractions in Tasmania.

11 Answers Nov 1, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    • Transport Launceston to Bridport

Tasmania Oct 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM

How do I get from Launceston Airport to Bridport to catch the boat to Flinders Island? Thanks

1 Answer Oct 22, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    • Local transport options

Port Arthur Oct 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

we are coming into Port Arthur on a cruise ship in December just for a day and would prefer not to use their exorbitantly expensive shore excursions. Are there any car rental firms or public transport we could use to transport us from the historic site out to the mines or to devils kitchen etc. We are a group of 13.

14 Answers Dec 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    • Car Rental

Hobart Sep 13, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Hello.I will be visiting Hobart on November for 3 days and planning to rent a car.Any suggestions any affordable company? I am a Malaysian international student, and can I actually drive using my Malaysian license? And how many people can the car fir in- small car for example suzuki swift etc. Cause I've checked on a few company, it seems like it can only fit in 4 adults?why is it so?Isn't it supposed to be 5 people in a car?Please advice.
      Thank You

3 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 2:42 AM
    • Travel from Launceston

Launceston Aug 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM

How can I travel from Launceston to Sheffield?

8 Answers Aug 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    • expatbangkok's Profile Photo

Pubs & stuff

Hobart Aug 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

What are the best pubs to visit in Hobart? Any that brew beer on the premises? Also, what is there to do in the middle of August? Cheers

5 Answers Sep 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    • dyah.ES's Profile Photo

Strahan vs Mount wilderness

Tasmania Jul 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Hi,
      We plan to drive around Tasmania startiong from Hobart. One of the itinerary suggested by travel agent is stay 1 night in Strahan and 2 nights Mount Wilderness ( ? not sure the name, somewhe around the park)
      My husband think maybe better 2 days in Strahan instead, but I browsed about those places looks like more to do in Mount Wilderness.
      Anyone has any experiences? We'll travel around X'mast
      Big thanks as always

4 Answers Aug 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    • Travel company

Tasmania Jul 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Thinking of booking Spirit of Tasmania through Travel With A Cause Inc, are they a reliable company?

Thankyou....Carol

1 Answer Jul 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    • How intrusive are quarantine searches

State of Tasmania Jul 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM

How intrusive are quarantine searches?

3 Answers Aug 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    • WoodyPoon's Profile Photo

Car Rental

Hobart Jul 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM

We are planning to fly to Hobart early August and planning to stay there for four nights. We plan to drive around Tasmania but do not know which car rental to use. Which is the recommended car company? Is it advisable to book the car online or book while in Hobart? Thanks

4 Answers Jul 31, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    • allyson31mtim's Profile Photo

Port Arthur After Dark pass

State of Tasmania Jul 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Hi,
      Does anyone know if the After Dark pass allows for late afternoon entrance to the site before it closes? I tried emailing the reservations department to ask, and no answer as of yet. We really want to do a ghost tour and see the site, but we have limited time and trying to get the most bag for our buck.

Thanks!

1 Answer Jul 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM
    • Driving holiday Tasmania

Hobart Jun 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

We are a family of four - 2 kids aged 17 and 14 and are looking at touring Tassie in December. We were thinking of hiring a motorhome but are now considering hiring a car and booking accommodation. My question is: is it better to stay in a central location or locations and do day trips or are we better to drive to the next town and stay? Any itinerary suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Trisha

7 Answers Jun 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    • Coles Bay & Wineglass bay activities

Will be driving (2.5hr) from Richmond to Coles Bay first thing in morning. Plan to do the 3hr Kayak Paddle or Oyster Paddle. Any recommendation between the two? Also want to visit Wineglass Bay. Can we fit all these in 1 day and leave around 7pm because we have to drive 3,5hr to Sheffield to sleep there. Thank you very much.

1 Answer Feb 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    • How to plan 1/2 day in Cradle Mountain

Dear Fellow Travellers,

Need advise on how to plan 1/2day in Cradle Mountain. Will be driving from AAA Granary in Sheffield first thing in morning. Can only spend 1/2 day due to flight out of Launceston at 6pm Can we pack in 1 more activity in Launceston before our flight? If so any recommendation?

2 Answers Feb 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    • Lanoue33's Profile Photo

Where to Stay in Tasmania

State of Tasmania Feb 23, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Hello - I'm starting to plan a trip to Australia & New Zealand next year and I'm contemplating a month+ stay in Tasmania. I'm planning on a lot of cycling/hiking and wonder if anyone has any recommendations for which of the larger cities would be best to use as a base of operations. I'd like to see as much of the island as I can but also want to 'settle' in one place for a majority of the time. The main criteria I'm weighing are - 1) access to the most varied terrain..nice roads in the hills are a big plus, 2) the most economical place to stay for a month or two...thinking Hobart would be the most expensive?, 3) Spring or Fall? I'll be in NZ from Dec. - Feb. and from what I've read on this site I'm thinking march/april in Tasmania would be a better bet in terms of the weather than october/november. Am I correct in assuming this?

I know these questions quite broad but I'd be quite grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Cheers!

7 Answers Feb 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    • Phil&Gina's Profile Photo

Five days in Tasmania in mid-Feb

State of Tasmania Jan 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Hello, my wife and I have 5 nights in Tasmania at the end of a two week trip that will start in Sydney. We are flying into Launceston and planning to spend two nights on the East Coast then to Hobart for the last three nights. I'm looking for recommendations for the East Coast time. There are a number of cottages and inns in Swansea, and a few places in Coles Bay. We want to do the kayaking at Freycinet, but haven't had much luck finding lodging near Coles Bay and Freycinet. The Lodge and Sapphire are a bit pricey - at least the Sapphire is. The Swansea options are reasonable, and some are right on the water. Piedmont Resort and Wagner's look nice. How far is it from Swansea to the Freycinet NP and the Wineglass Bay? We will have a car.

Also, I see a ton of photos of glorious beaches, but I never see anyone in the water. Is the water that cold, or are the currents treacherous, etc?

We're celebrating my wife's 50th, so I want to do the best planning I can. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Thank You, Phil

13 Answers Feb 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    • glen006's Profile Photo

Driving tour of the island at Easter

State of Tasmania Jan 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Tasmania this Easter, and would like some feedback on what we are planning, or what we may be missing.

The itinerary I have come up with is something like this:
      Day one - fly into Launceston in the evening
      Day two - Launceston/North Coast (Devonport/Penguin/Burnie)
      Day three - Drive down the East Coast to Triabunna/Orford
      Day four - Hobart for Salamanca Markets, city tour, etc (that'll be a Saturday)
      Day five - Port Arthur
      Day six - Hobart, maybe Mount wellington

Is there anything on the list that isn't worth doing, or anything not on the list we definitely need to do? Have we allowed long enough for each thing? I haven't really checked out what to do along the way, other than Wineglass Bay, what about things to do/see in Hobart?

We like history, food, drink, great views and we don't mid walking.

Thanks!

4 Answers Jan 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    • cradle mountain

State of Tasmania Nov 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I'm planning a short winter trip to Tasmania, 2 nights in Stanley, and 3 nights in Cradle Mountain in early August.
      Is the Cradle Mountain bit crazy?? Could we be snowed in?? Perhaps 3 nights in Stanley and 2 in Cradle?
      Any advice?
      Thanks.

2 Answers Nov 12, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    • seblak's Profile Photo

3 days suggestions for tasmania

Tasmania Nov 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM

We have only 3 days in tasmania. What should we prioritise and do?

And my sister may stay longer. What do you suggest to her : stay longer in tasmania or go to new zealand ?

6 Answers Nov 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    • kiraamelie's Profile Photo

12 day Tour of Tasmania

State of Tasmania Oct 22, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Due to the unavailability of the campervan, We are now hiring a small car. As we are travelling in a very busy time we have booked the accommodation for our time there.First two nights in Strahan,next two nights in Tullah, then two nights in Burnie, two nights in St. Helens, one night in Swansea, and the last three nights in Hobart.Could any member recommend places to visit in these particular areas.I will be very grateful for any imput and advice you can give me. Cheers Angela.

8 Answers Nov 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    • kiraamelie's Profile Photo

Tasmanian trip

State of Tasmania Oct 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Hi, My husband and I are planning our holiday to Tasmania arriving at midday on the 31st of December in Hobart and flying out of Hobart on the 12th of January in the afternoon. We are hiring a small camper van for the 12 nights, and our plan is to do a round trip, across Tasmania, visiting the west coast, central north coast northeast coast. As part of our itinerary we would like to visit wilderness areas and other significant places of interest. We would prefer to stay in free or low cost camping areas with shower and toilet facilities where possible. We would be extremely grateful for any itinerary input or suggestions you can give us, as neither of us have been there before. Thank you for any and all assistance. Angela

7 Answers Oct 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    • itinerary for 4 nights in tassie

Hobart Aug 17, 2012 at 4:35 AM

hi,
      me & my hubby (age 30yrs.)
      I will be traveling to Hobart for 4 nights. pls.help me to plan my itinerary
      is rent a car compulsory or public transport is ok?
      my interest is in Photography, so pls suggest me some places.
      i m pure vegetarian,can i get veg. food in Tassie?

4 Answers Aug 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM