State of Tasmania Travel Answers

change location

Is it expensive not to self drive in Tassie

by ichan Online Now Jan 31, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Dear Friends,
I had travelled with 2 girlfriends in Oct 06 in Tassie for about 7 days and 2 days in melbourne. It was a self drive trip starting from Hobart and ending at Launceston. I had visited Tasmania Botanic gardens, salamanca market, tulips farm, ashgrove cheese, wineglass bay, cradle mountain, cabury chocolate factory.
Im planning to return to Tassie & mel on 23 July 09 - 01 Aug 09.This time round may only start from Hobart to Swansea to campbell town back to Hobart as we dont intend to drive a lot for this trip.

Please advise:
1) What other places are good to go for the coming trip
2) What produces of Tassie can we see, e.g. scallops, abalone, chocolates, flowers, fruits,
3) What time do Salamanca market open,

Also for Melbourne,
1)Do we need to drive,
2)How do we get to the factory outlets in Melbourne,
3) What shld we try in Mel, e.g. food/places of interest.

thanks

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • sirgaw's Profile Photo

Re: Is it expensive not to self drive in Tassie

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM

As I'm in Melb I'll only give Melb info as I don't know Tassie - except that the Salamanca Market is only open Sat mornings and I think is 8 - 12 noon.

On Melb, quite frankly a car is more of a nusience than an asset unless you are tripping into the outer suburbs or near country. Parking is expensive and can be hard to find - suggest you don't drive.

A company that has been doing shopping tours for a long time is melbourneshoppingtours.com.a... and from what I've heard they are very good, but as a mere male I really don't know too much about shopping - LOL. For food I'd suggest the Queen Victoria Market - not open Mondays and Wednesdays.

As you have not filled in anything on your profile page, its hard to amke suggestions for what to do in the remaining time you have in Melb.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Tasmania Travel Answer Locations