change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Iternariy

State of Sikkim Apr 11, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Hi,

With the below plan can I pre-book the hotels and take shared Taxis for these places or do I need to book only 2N/3D packages for Gangtok - Lachen - Gurudormarg lake - Lachung - Yumthang - Gangtok only????

If its only shared taxis how much it cost now for below itinerary???

Day 1 -Apr 16th - Arrival at Bagdogra – Gangtok.

Day 2 - Gangtok - Tshangu Lake, Baba Mandir, Nathu la - Gangtok

Day 3: Transfer from Gangtok to Lachen, O/N stay

Day 4: Day trip to Thangu, Chopta Valley and Gurudongmar Lake, transfer to Lachung, O/N stay

Day 5: Day trip to Yumthang Valley and Zero Point, transfer to Gangtok

Day 6 -Apr 21st - Gangtok to – Bagdogra (12:45pm flight)

Please advice....

more
    • ManalS's Profile Photo

Food & Cuisine

State of Sikkim Apr 14, 2014 at 6:10 AM

fun traditional food and wine of the local-ites in gangtok and darjeeling that must be tried?
      And also the restaurants that offer them .

more
    • Travelling to nathula pass with kids in may, is it safe

Gangtok Apr 5, 2014 at 6:22 AM

We are a family of 4 adults and 4 kids (aged 14, 10, 6 and 2.5 yrs ) . We are planning for a trip to Gangtok and darjeeling from may 19th (Monday) to 24th (saturday) , we will be reaching njp on 19th morning and have booked a train to kolkatta from njp on 24th night.
      Please help with the itenery and also wanted to know if it is safe to travel to nathula pass with kids.

more
    • JalpeshVakharia's Profile Photo

Gangtok visit - 2nd to 5th Oct

Gangtok Apr 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Hi,

We are a group of 14-15 people traveling to Gangtok during 1st week of Oct. Would really appreciate if you can help me clarify some aspects which can help us plan the trip well.

1. Does mid-sized transport vehicles like Tempo Traveller etc ply in this region given tough road conditions ?

2. We are quite keen to visit Tiger Hills during dawn inspite it being bit over-rated. How much would it take to travel from Gangtok to Tiger Hills ?

3. We did check out white water rafting on river Teesta. With winder chipping in during the planned visit month, would this be unduly adventurous ? How far is this place from Gangtok city ?

4. Can we visit Tsangmo lake and Nathu La pass in one go ? Would all the travelers need to carry their passports ? How many hours typically it takes for this visit - approx ? Is getting permit for the pass very challenging ?

Look forward to hear from you.

Regards,
      Jalpesh

more
    • suitable time to visit gangtok

Gangtok Apr 4, 2014 at 6:24 AM

is it right time to visit gangtok darjeeling & Jalpaiguri in month of may?

more
    • AnirbanG's Profile Photo

Gangtok sight-seeing

Gangtok Mar 23, 2014 at 10:25 PM

when I will reach gangtok, will I be able to find taxis for gangtok sightseeing ?

more
    • Can we travel to Gangtok and Darjeling with a 5 month kid and 2 senior citiens

State of Sikkim Mar 26, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Gangtok and Darjeeling from 25th April 2014, for 5 days. I am going with my wife, my young son ( 5 month old) and my parents who are senior citizens ( in good health)

So , is it OK to go to these areas at this time of year with young baby and senior citizens.
      Regards

more

Popular State of Sikkim Travel Answer Locations

• monty17's Profile Photo

bagdogra to gangtok to darjeeling to jortheng in mid march

Gangtok Feb 28, 2013 at 6:39 AM

hi we are 8 adults and 7 kids under 12 years visiting as per above itinerary for seven nights. mid march... we want to know 1) a good n cheap cab company to visit all the places.(innovas).....2) activities around the place. smhow not very keen for monastries and gardens untill and unless they have a great view and some historic importance.3) good adventure for the mentioned age group.3 local vegetarian cusines... please do not give the run on the mill places.4)formalities and documents required to visit nathula pass. thanks in advance amsure i will have more questions once i have the answers...

3 Answers Mar 1, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    • 12 days in Sikkim

State of Sikkim Oct 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

HI
      Travelling with my family and a 9 yr old kid to sikkim for 12 days in MAY
      PlAN TO visit Gangtok for 3 nights,Pelling -2 nights,goto Ravangla for a trek to Maenam Sanctuary FOR 1 night
      Do North Sikkim Lachen 2 nights n Lachung 2 night
      Will cover touristy stuff like Nathula pass,Yumthang valley,Gurudongmar lake.
      Have an extra night in Sikkim.
      Please advise what could b done?A place to stay?Is there anything ive missed?
      kindly suggest accomodation in all these places aswl.Offbeat wud also b welcome.
      Thnks a zillion.

1 Answer May 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    • lee.chiappori's Profile Photo

visa cost for sikkim.

State of Sikkim Aug 3, 2012 at 8:12 AM

how much does it cost to get the visa for sikkim in dehli.is it free or not?
      thanks.

8 Answers Aug 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM
    • lee.chiappori's Profile Photo

hotels in gangtok

State of Sikkim Aug 2, 2012 at 5:11 AM

hi
      i'm looking for a nice,cosy guest house or hotel in Gangtok for a few days.with good views.
      many thanks
      lee

2 Answers Aug 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    • Temi Tea Garden

State of Sikkim Jul 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM

1) Is Temi Tea Gardens worth a visit?
      2) Understand that it can be visited enroute from Pelling to Gangtok ,right?
      3) Looks like it is a detour from Ravangla . How much time will such a detour take as compared to directly going to Gangtok from Pelling ?
      4) Otherwise is there a nice tea garden we can visit around Darjeeling or enroute from Darjeeling to Pelling?

1 Answer Jul 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    • Road Conditions

State of Sikkim Jul 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Our intended trip plan (either end of Sept or early Nov) is as follows:
      Bagdogra airport - Darjeeling (88km / 2.30hrs)
      Darjeeling - Pelling (132km / 5hrs)
      Pelling - Gangtok (133km / 5hrs)
      Gangtok - Tsomgo Lake - Gangtok (half day excursion trip)
      Gangtok - Lachung (117km / 6hrs)
      Lachung - Yumthang Valley - Gangtok (131km)
      Gangtok - Kalimpong (68 km / 3 hrs)
      Kalimpong - Bagdogra airport

We have a couple of queries below:
      - due to the earthquake last sept, understand that some roads were badly damaged. Are any of the connecting roads on our plan above still not opened.
      - quite likely we will travel by 4WD arranged by a travel agent. How is the terrain and road conditions to the above places? Are they winding roads that goes round the mountains and valleys? We are a little concern with motion sickness, particularly at high altitude

7 Answers May 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    • Climate conditions

State of Sikkim Jul 25, 2012 at 11:19 PM

We are planning a 12 days Sikkim trip, visiting Lachung/Yumthang in the north, Pelling in the west, Darjeeling and Gantok. But pondering which period to choose end Sept or early Nov.
      Sept is just after the monsoon period, it the weather ok? Clear skies is what we need to view the mountain ranges.
      How is the temp in Nov? Will it be very cold, especially up in the north? Need woolies, thermals, etc

In anticipation of any helpful answers to our queries. Thank you

4 Answers Jul 26, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    • davidjo's Profile Photo

interested in trekking

State of Sikkim Jul 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hi friends, i will be in Sikkim from 21 st Sept to 20th Oct and will be interested in finding trekking partners for a Kadchendzonga trek (7 or 8 days)around beginning of October. Contact me if you are interested.

2 Answers May 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    • I want a complete travelling price in gangtok & Darjeeling (with below given siteseening)

Gangtok Jun 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Day - 01 – Arrival and Transfer to Gangtok from New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP)

Day - 02 – Excursion to Tsomgo Lake and Baba Mandir - Early morning breakfast

OR (If the above not possible, if not got permit)

Day - 02 – Gangtok Local Sight Seeing - Rumtek Monastery / Ranka Monastery - Shanti View Point - Samco Ropeway – Institute of Tibetlogy - Ganesh Tok - Cottage Industry - Flower Show – White hall - Tashi View Point

Day - 03 – Transfer to Darjeeling from Gangtok, through rolling tea gardens & if other good places in the road.

Day - 04 – Darjeeling Full day Sight Seeing - Early morning visit to Tiger hills, Batasia Loop, Ghoom Monastery, War Memorial- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute & Padamaja Naidu Zoological Park , Tenzing Rock, Ropeway / Tea Garden, Tibetan Refugee Center, Lebong Race Course, Visit Rock Garden & Gang Maya Park - Back to hotel for breakfast, visit to Himalayan Mountaineering Institute and Padmaja Naidu Park. - Ganga Maiya Park / Rock Garden

Day – 05 – Transfer New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) via Mirik Lake - Tour end

Please prove me a detail travel expenses for this tour.

Please reply as soon as possible.

2 Answers Jun 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    • 69lucifer's Profile Photo

my itenary to Gangtok

Gangtok May 5, 2012 at 4:35 AM

We two family with 7 members are going to Gangtok. On 9th from Sealdah.
      Our programme follows. Will it be suitable for us to move as per the following program along with child ageing & year old, someone please suggest. Or our programme need some change ?

Day 1: NJP-GANGTOK
      Pickup from NJP Railway station, drive to Gangtok, Checkinto hotel, over night at Gangtok.
      Day 2: Gangtok-Tsomgo Lake,Baba Mandir
      Tsomgo Lake and Baba Mandir Excursion,over night at Gangtok.
      Day 3: Gangtok-Lachung
      Transfer to Lachung, over night at Lachung.
      Day 4: Lachung-Yumthang-Gangtok
      Visit yumthang valley,Zero point(optional),lunch at Lachung,return to Gangtok,overnight at Gangtok.
      Day 5: Gangtok local
      Local sight seeing at Gangtok,over night at Gangtok.
      Day 6: Gangtok-Peilling.
      Day 7:Peilling-NJP Deparure

Also Please let us know any unrest on the plain Siliguri.

4 Answers May 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    • Aditya_Bhardwaj's Profile Photo

Need Suggestion on North Sikkim

State of Sikkim Apr 16, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Hello, We have planned a trip to sikkim in April and we will be arriving gangtok on 19th April 2012, just wanted to know whether we'll be able to visit Gurudongmar lake and zero point at that time or not as I've heard that the roads are blocked as if now so could anyone please confirm the same?

5 Answers Apr 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM
    • Need help..?

Gangtok Apr 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I wanted to know what is the current rate for a Natula pass & Tsongo lake visit and can anybody suggest a agent or can I book directly at tourism office, also need to know what are the charges for local sight seeing. I would be visiting Gangtok on 20/4/12.

8 Answers Apr 25, 2012 at 12:43 AM

WHICH IS BEST

State of Sikkim Mar 26, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I will be arriving in Kolkota towards the end of September, take the train up to Siliguri and will be spending a month in Sikkim, hiking and trekking. I will be doing some day treks and if all goes well i will join a group for a trek from Yuksom. I also want to return to Darjiling as i had been there many years before. As far as i know i can get my Sikkim permit in Both Siliguri and Darjiling but would it be best to go directly from Siliguri and leave Darjiling until last before returning to Kolkota.

2 Answers Mar 28, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

suggestions for what to do for 8 days in Gangtok

Gangtok Mar 7, 2012 at 4:27 AM

We are booked into Club Mahindra for 4 nights in May, we have another 4 nights for which we do not have booking.Any suggestions on where we can stay and what we can do on those days?We want to do some walking/hiking, not to tedious, but easy ones, see nice scenery and enjoy good local vegetarian food. Any home stays that you can recommend? Any suggestions are welcome.Thank you.

Read more: VT Forum temporarily unavailable

2 Answers Apr 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    • vpas's Profile Photo

suggestions for what to do for 8 days in Gangtok

State of Sikkim Mar 7, 2012 at 4:26 AM

We are booked into Club Mahindra for 4 nights in May, we have another 4 nights for which we do not have booking.Any suggestions on where we can stay and what we can do on those days?We want to do some walking/hiking, not to tedious, but easy ones, see nice scenery and enjoy good local vegetarian food. Any home stays that you can recommend? Any suggestions are welcome.Thank you.

• How many days is fine for Darjeeling and Gangtok?

Gangtok Dec 19, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Hi, I am planing a trip to Darjeeling and Gangtok in the 3rd week of April 2012,
      with my kids(12 and 7 yrs)
      1. I want to know which is cheap and best hotel Darjeeling and Gangtok.
      2. I am planing for 2N in Darjeeling and 2N in Gangtok. I am coming 16th by Darjeeling mail at 08.00hrs and leaving on 20th at 14.25hrs in NJG. Is this time
      enough for important places to see?
      3. I want to travel in the rope way in Darjeeling and Gangtok. Is there any
      advance booking? Where shall i book it?
      4. Is there snow in Gangtok during April? What sort of dress materials should we take?
      5. Will it be possible to visit Nathu la in the same period?
      Thanks in Advance,
      Salem jas.

3 Answers Jan 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    • Lachung and Yamthang visit

Gangtok Dec 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Hi

I along with my wife is planning a trip to Gangtok in April 2012. This is my second visit and this time we are more interested in seeing Lachung and Yamthang.

1. Will there be snow in mid April at these places. How to travel to Lachung and Yamthang from Gangtok. Can one stay for two nights in Yumthang.

2. During Last visit could not go o Changi Lake and Nath La pass as it was snowing there and route was closed. Will there be snow in Changi lake in April.

Thanks
      bkc

2 Answers Dec 8, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    • North Sikkim in January

State of Sikkim Nov 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I was planning to visit North Sikkim on the second week of January'12. Can anyone give information about the current condition of North Sikkim after the earthquake.

1 Answer Nov 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    • winter season

Gangtok Oct 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM

i m going to visit gangtok on 3rd november 2011.winter wear is important or not in month of november?

3 Answers Oct 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    • Any problem in visiting North Sikkim in Feb 2012 after last month's earthquake?

State of Sikkim Oct 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I have planned to visit north Sikkim during end of Feb 2012. Just wanted to have information about the present condition of north Sikkim after the earthquake in last Sep. Would the place be all right for tourism during Feb 2012?
      Please help...

• Can someone help getting my lost Camera from MG Road, Gangtok

State of Sikkim Oct 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Hi,

I had been to Sikkim with my full family of 11 members. Visited many places and ended up shopping at MG Road. We captured many moments in various cameras and left one at the video game parlour at the entrance of MG Road on 10th Oct evening. The entrance of MG Road was with Axis bank & HDFC ATMs and the game parlour was on the opposite side of the HDFC ATM nearer to the Taxi stand.

If anybody can help me... pls contact @9971121884

2 Answers Oct 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    • drmvm35's Profile Photo

gangtok in winter???

Gangtok Oct 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM

hello,
      i'll be travelling with my wife and 10 yr old kid to gangtok in the 3rd wek of december for a period of 4 nights folowed by pelling for 3 nights and darjeeling for 2 nights...
      i would like to know about the weather in gangtok at that time and whether it would be possible to go to tsomgo lake, baba mandir and nathula pass at that time of the year with the child???
      secondly, what would be the approximate temp ingangtok and pelling at that time of the year and whether it would be possible to visit north sikkim
      9lachung/yumthang)in dec?
      i would also appreciate if you could suggest good sightseeing points in and around gangtok and pelling and any other informationthat might be useful
      thanks...

2 Answers Oct 10, 2011 at 2:52 AM
    • MUST SEE POINTS IN GANGTOK

Gangtok Aug 24, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I intend to visit Gangtok and will reach there on 1st April 2012 and shall leave Gangtok for Darjeeling on 6th April. Please advise me what to see during these five days of my stay at Gangtok.

SUSHILNAGPAL

5 Answers Oct 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM
    • Advisable Trail ? Family trek in Singalila - Oct

State of Sikkim Aug 10, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Hi, We are a group of 4 adults and 2 children (aged 10 and 11) and want to do a short camp and trek in October with kids around west Sikkim - where trek not lasting more than 4 hrs per day and total 5 days of trekking. Kids will be on mules.

Is it advisable to do the Singalila trek with children or is there a shorter trek advisable (even a small part of this Singalila trail)?

Do provide the entire trail which you recommend. Please respond asap.

1 Answer Aug 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    • West Sikkim Trip Plan

State of Sikkim Aug 7, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Hi friends,

I, with my family ( 8 adult member, 1 child) am planning for west sikkim during 29th oct. to 3rd nov. My plan is as follows:

Day 1. 29th morning reaching silliguri by DARJEELING MAIL. Reaching OKHREY by afternoon. Nightstay at OKHREY.

Day 2: 30th morning travelling towards HILLEY. From HILLEY 4km trek to VERSEY. Night Stay at Guras Kunj.

Day 3: 31st morning returning back from VERSEY. Proceed towards PELLING via OKHREY.

Day 4: 1st nov, morning proceed towards KALUK. Nightstay at KALUK.

Day 5: 2nd nov. After lunch returning back for New Jalpaigury to catch Darjeeling Mail at 20:00.

In this trip I have few things to clarify:
      1. During Oct end or Nov first, whether it is worthy to go to VERSEY. ( as rhododendron flower is not expected during this time) ?
      2. Which one will be better: 1. KALUK, 2. RINCHENPONG, 3. UTTAREY ?
      3. How much time is required to reach PELLING from HILLEY?
      4. What are the Hotel rates at all these places? Please give me the hotel name, rates and booking procedure ?
      5. If I book a TATA Sumo or some other car for this entire trip, what will be its rate?

Pls suggest me quickly as I am looking for booking at those places

• www.sikkimtravelexpress.com

State of Sikkim Jul 31, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Hi,

We are planning to visit Sikkim in November to do a Goecha la trek. We are in touch with a local company Sikkim Travel Express and see seem to be experienced and has the good knowledge about the trekking in the area.

Does any one have personal experience with them?

Thanks,
      Dan

1 Answer Aug 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM

a month in may, advice needed

State of Sikkim Jul 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I plan on spending 4 weeks in Sikkim next May and i would like to visit two or three places where i can do some day treks before deciding if i am able to join a longer, organised trek. Unfortunately i broke my leg some time ago, and that is why i like to do some day treks, make sure the leg holds up. Also i would appreciate recommendations on suitable budget accommodation. And how much would i expect to pay for the longer trek, still possible50 a day? Any recommendations of trekking agency?

5 Answers Aug 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    • What to see in 3 nights and 4 days in Sikkim

Gangtok May 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Hi...I have 3 nights & 4 days to tour sikkim in mid june. Can anyone please tell me what should be the "must sees" in such a short time? And what should be the charges for shared cars to visit those places?

1 Answer May 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    • Thangu accommodation

State of Sikkim Feb 12, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Anybody knows the contact details for accommodation at Thangu???

1 Answer Feb 12, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    • solo trekker - trekking in Sikkim

Gangtok Feb 6, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I am a single traveller visiting Northern India end of April, beginning of May 2011. I am looking to join a trek in Sikkim from about the 6th May for approx. 16 days. Does anyone know of any pre-arranged treks that I could join. My preference would be to trek to Gocha La but am open to alternatives.

6 Answers Feb 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM