State of Sikkim Travel Answers

change location
davidjo's Profile Photo

a month in may, advice needed

by davidjo Online Now Jul 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I plan on spending 4 weeks in Sikkim next May and i would like to visit two or three places where i can do some day treks before deciding if i am able to join a longer, organised trek. Unfortunately i broke my leg some time ago, and that is why i like to do some day treks, make sure the leg holds up. Also i would appreciate recommendations on suitable budget accommodation. And how much would i expect to pay for the longer trek, still possible50 a day? Any recommendations of trekking agency?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

Re: a month in may, advice needed

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Jul 24, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Month of May may be a bit dicey as moonsoons may spoil your plans. Try to prepone to say, March or April. The Sikkim Tourism Development Corporation (STDC) is a safe bet as it is a Govt.-run concern (very efficiently) and they have all sorts of trekking options. Last year they undertook a spendid programme. Official website is:

http://www.sikkimtourism.travel/Webforms/General/Transport.aspx

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 12:04 AM

ok, thanks i will check the website now, but unfortunately i cannot arrive in Sikkim before April 25th due to other travel arrangements.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jul 25, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Hi - check the VT member pages of earthflyer. He has done alot of trekking. You can also take a look at www.indiamike.com where you'll find alot of info including trekking agencies and budget accommodations. Agree with Anil that the going may be very tough during monsoon. Good luck!

• Re: a month in may, advice needed

by mountainfrog Online Now Aug 1, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Hi,

As I have also posted a new thread with similar topic. Have you already contacted your the Trekking company in Sikkim? If yes, could you please share they are?

We are going in November and decided to do Kasturi trek. Out many we have contacted, we like the most Sikkim Travel Express (www.sikkimtravelexpress.com). They seem to be a nice and experience as far as their way of responding emails are concerned. But of course, we want to make sure if anyone has done the trips with them?

Thoughts?

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM

hi mountain frog,i have checked a few trekking companies so far but no decisions yet been made as the trip will be next year, and i am thinking of changing the dates to October due to advice received regarding the monsoon. I have also trekked Everest Base Camp twice and the views are clearer in the autumn, after the rainy season, so i am very sure that my decision to change trekking dates to Oct 12 would be beneficial.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Sikkim Travel Answer Locations