State of Sikkim Travel Answers

change location

Short treks in west Sikkim

by mchulyat Online Now Oct 22, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Can folks who have trekked in West Sikkim please provide more details for short treks, as details are very limited in guidebooks and online, specifically related to the following treks:

1. Yuksom - Tsokha - Dzongri and onwards
2. Maenam Hill
3. Tendong Hill
4. Monastary loop/Tashiding
5. Singalila range

It would be very helpful to all if people who have done these treks provide information about them in this thread, so that this info is available to all in the same place. Please post your experiences below.

I plan to visit W Sikkim in early January for only 4 nights, and was hoping to do a couple one day treks or a 2-3 day trek.
-Is it worth it to trek only from Yukson - Tsoka and back in two days? What about Yukson - Dzongri and back in 3 days?
-Is there any way to avoid going to Gangtok to get a permit if you want to do a Yuksom trek?
-How do Maenam Hill and Tendong Hill compare to the Yuksom - Tsokha or Yuksom - Tsokha-Dzongri treks?
-There is plenty of discussion about the treks with the best mountain veiws, but what about other nature? How do the treks #1-5 above compare in regards to local scenery and wildlife?
-For people who are interested in real trekking, is there any point in doing the Monastary loop trail, or is this just a casual walk? How is the scenery here compared to other nearby treks?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Short treks in west Sikkim

by ElCordobez Online Now Oct 23, 2009 at 2:51 AM

I have done the Goecha La trek, which takes around 10 days.
    Dzongri is part of it and would take at least 5 days.
    You get fantastic views of Khangchendzonga. As I said in the
    post above you need a trekking agent. But January would be
    difficult, if not impossible to do this trek. The monastery
    loop is nothing like that, but it may be all you can do at
    this time of the year...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular State of Sikkim Travel Answer Locations