State of Rajasthan Travel Answers

change location
stephcdav's Profile Photo

Rajasthan

by stephcdav Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Hey - After a bit of advice really. We're off to India in September and first place to explore is Rajasthan (coming over from Delhi). We've got a rudimentary route so would like to know;

a) best way of travel
b) any places we should visit in, or around the area’s we plan on stopping
c) any places to avoid
d) any other advice

Our stops are;

Ranthambhore National Park
Pushkar
Udaipur (and Ranakpur)
Jodhpur
Jaisalmer

We’ve given ourselves about a month in Rajasthan. After this, we’d like to go north towards the Himalayas and then work our way east, so any tips, best way to get there etc.. would be great appreciated!

Thanks,
Steph & Ant

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Rajasthan

by vpas Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Since you have a month you should include at least two days for looking around Jaipur. There is much to see in Jaipur and the Amber palace nearby is also worth a visit. To me the Jantar Mantar in Jaipur is a not to miss place.
    Do a desert safari for sure.
    Rajasthan is such a fascinating and colourful place. You will not be disappointed. So much to see, shop and experience.
    Good luck,

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 4:39 AM

You have certainly picked 3 of my favourite places in Jaisalmer with the desert fort, wonderful palaces and camel trekking, Udaipur with the lake and more beautiful palaces and Pushkar. A pity you could not re-arrange your trip so you could attend the Camel fair in Pushkar which is held in late november but if you can't it is still a wonderful place to visit.
    Anyway i would certainly leave Jaisalmer as my last stop in Rajastan then get the bus towards Amritser and spend a few days there to see the Golden Temple of the Sikhs, one of the highlights of my Indian trip. You can even stay in the big temple hostel with the pilgrims and eat in the huge communal dining area. From there i would head to Dharamsala, the home of the Dalai Lama. Kullu and Manikaren valleys are worth visiting and trek up to Melana the holy village where they grow the ganja. The old British hill town of Shimla is also worth a few days. On the east side of India don't forget to visit Darjeeling.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Hi

It would probably be easier for you to read my Rajasthan page- scroll down page for tips. There are also LINKS on the page- just click on them.

"Faces & Places of Rajasthan" - State of Rajasthan by lynnehamman

On my profile page there are also many more links with detailed tips for all the places that you want to visit.

Best way to travel (where possible) is by train, although for some places you might need to take a bus or hire a car & driver.
    I have a very good friend who owns Jaiwana Haveli in Udaipur. His drivers and cars are excellent and I reoommend them with confidence.

1 member found this helpful

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo

by anilpradhanshillong Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:55 AM

1. Best way to travel - Train. Plenty of them from your initial stop, ie., Delhi. Else, try out the Volvo buses to explore Rajasthan. You could visit cleartrip.com or makemytrip.com for your journey.

2. Don't miss out Mount Abu. The Dilwara Temple out there is unique.

3. When you travel north towards the Himalayas, like mentioned above, try and include Dharamshala. It's worth it. The Kumaon region is also fantastic, eg., Nainital, Bhimtal.

4. By east, where do you mean? Is it Allahabad, Lucknow, Varnasi, Kolkata, Darjeeling, Gangtok, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya? If you spell out this part of your journey, we could help you out more.

• stephcdav's Profile Photo

by stephcdav Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Thank you all for your great advice! We'll be working on our second leg of our journey soon, and will post for more advice and info!
    Thank you,
    Steph & Ant

• stephcdav's Profile Photo

by stephcdav Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for all your great reply's about the first part of our journey. The second part will take us to Himachal Pradesh, so if you have time to take a look and provide us with some advice and info, that would be great. Here is the link: forum.virtualtourist.com/Sta...

• jptt's Profile Photo

by jptt Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Hi being a local from Jodhpur, Rajasthan i would say that the best way to travel would be by car, you cannot miss the beautiful scenic views and all the tiny cute colorful villages that you pass by.
    b) You should visit Amer fort, Jal mahal, Hawa Mahal and the old city area in Jaipur. Ummaid Bhawan palace , mehrangarh fort, ghanta ghar, the blue city, Mandore garden in Jodhpur.
    c) You should avoid going to over priced old palaces turned into hotels.
    I will be more than happy to show you around rajasthan while you are here.. Take Care

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:50 AM

jptt wrote:

Hi being a local from Jodhpur, Rajasthan i would say that the best way to travel would be by car, you cannot miss the beautiful scenic views and all the tiny cute colorful villages that you pass by. b) You should visit Amer fort, Jal mahal, Hawa Mahal and the old city area in Jaipur. Ummaid Bhawan palace , mehrangarh fort, ghanta ghar, the blue city, Mandore garden in Jodhpur. c) You should avoid going to over priced old palaces turned into hotels. I will be more than happy to show you around rajasthan while you are here.. Take Care

Why should the poster avoid 'old palaces turned into hotels'?  Many are very reasonably priced. Train travel is best because its a lot cheaper and easy too. The poster can always visit the cute colorful villages as day trips out of the Rajasthani cities. There are buses too.

• jptt's Profile Photo

by jptt Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Hi lynnehamman i would love to answer it why ?

1. The reason to avoid "old palaces" turned into hotels is, because there are hundreds of small palaces and old mansion that are now turned into hotels. They are not being run by professionals, they are being run by the owners who are charging tourists prices of a 5 star room and in return are providing lousy unprofessional service. They are just seasonal hotels who hire staff during the season and lay them off when its not tourist season. During that time its just their home and you are going to live there. Staying in a legit hotel is much better and cheaper option, where you will get good service throughout the year and have to pay half or even 1/4th prices. If you would like to stay in a "Old Palace", The only heritage hotels you can go for are the ones being run by professionals for example: Ajeet Bhawan, Ummaid Bhawan Palace, Ram Bagh Palace hotel etc, which are being run by the topmost hotel chains in India. Which are really worth paying for, because you get back what you pay for.
    2. Yes train and bus travel is much cheaper, but they run from one station to another station. You cannot ask them to run according to your flexibility or timing. If the poster had to visit the villages they again have to a rent car from the city and go there and back + they will have to again pay for the train or bus ticket. Don't you think that would be much more expensive and hectic ?

Hope it helps :-)

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:03 AM

jptt wrote:
    Hi lynnehamman i would love to answer it why ?

1. The reason to avoid "old palaces" turned into hotels is, because there are hundreds of small palaces and old mansion that are now turned into hotels. They are not being run by professionals, they are being run by the owners who are charging tourists prices of a 5 star room and in return are providing lousy unprofessional service. They are just seasonal hotels who hire staff during the season and lay them off when its not tourist season. During that time its just their home and you are going to live there. Staying in a legit hotel is much better and cheaper option, where you will get good service throughout the year and have to pay half or even 1/4th prices. If you would like to stay in a "Old Palace", The only heritage hotels you can go for are the ones being run by professionals for example: Ajeet Bhawan, Ummaid Bhawan Palace, Ram Bagh Palace hotel etc, which are being run by the topmost hotel chains in India. Which are really worth paying for, because you get back what you pay for. 2. Yes train and bus travel is much cheaper, but they run from one station to another station. You cannot ask them to run according to your flexibility or timing. If the poster had to visit the villages they again have to a rent car from the city and go there and back + they will have to again pay for the train or bus ticket. Don't you think that would be much more expensive and hectic ?

Hope it helps :-)

Sorry= I totally disagree/ I have stayed in many of these 'old palaces and mansions (havelis) and they ARE perfectly and professionaly run.

I suggest that you have a look at my Profile Page 

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:05 AM

• jptt's Profile Photo

by jptt Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:47 AM